Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Been tumbling down the rabbit hole mostly in regard to macro keypads. I use them for gaming and over the past couple of years as I’ve learned more and experimented with the different stock options I’m finally coming around to wanting more particular things and not finding my exact preferences. That in turn leads me down a path to wanting to mod, particularly desoldering and replacing switches. At first I thought this was too extra but I kept doing some homework and I’m kind of talking myself into it. Still, I’m casting about for any insight, tips, or straight up better ideas for some product I’m not seeing on the market.

In particular what I’m wanting is a 23ish key macro pad that sits flat, almost like a half keyboard. I was ok with a number pad layout and just adjusting it sideways, but every single option has an ergonomic/tilted design and I want it to lay flat because I use an array so having them side by side and flat is the ideal. The best flat options I’ve seen that offer switch sockets either have too much footprint or really unnecessary (for me) features like rotary nobs. I v briefly surveyed some split keyboard options thinking I could just pipe the halves to different devices but a split keyboard is a little bit more than what I’m needing.

I have an almost perfect option that I’ve mostly happily been using already for a few years. But ultimately it’s why I’m here. The keypad that’s mostly been working is a koolertron 23 key macro pad I found off amazon. They’re not pretty or anything but they’ve been functional for me. Through ignorance and happenstance over time I picked up and daily driver use a model with stock cherry red switches next to one with stock blue switches, so I’ve gotten a good chance to suss out how I feel— the blues are too clicky and the reds too squishy.

They function alright, but the blues are too noisy and I live in a smaller home with family and I’m increasingly unhappy with the clacking I put out into our shared space. The red switches, on the other hand, are too linear. I have accidental keystrokes not constantly but more than I want.

After a little research I identified a number of switches that offer more resistance than stock reds and less noise, but then after further homework I realize my beloved koolertrons have soldered switches. Which is almost where I gave up but a few youtube videos have convinced me I can maybe do this and just mod the switches on one myself.

I find soldering a little intimidating so I’m trying to decide if I really want to go this route. But I think I do.
Though rusty with it, I have a decent iron already. I’m not averse to grabbing an extra to tinker with and the mod itself seems straightforward enough. I’m just changing switches.

If anyone has a good lead on smaller custom keypad builds or ideas or insight on my particular niche problem I’m all ears. There is a dizzying amount of options for wider keyboards but all the macro pads seem either to be tilty numpads or nobby things. 9 keys and smaller are fine for what they are (I use those too! With layers) but I am just needing a little more keys on the pad.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I’m putting together a sort of Frankenstein macro pad that aims for a similar effect, smooth easy press linears on the keys I want easy and stiff tactiles on the keys I don’t like accidentally pressing. I found myself looking at a lot of switches and the impression I get is you want something with a high force spring like 60-70 grams and if you dig deeper into the specs of the switch maybe one that hits its activation point a little bit lower. But as an example of a stiffer switch, kailh burnt orange tactiles were one of the higher force springs I found in a switch I liked and out of the box they’re pretty stiff. Go for a stiffer clicky if you really want to avoid presses.

But yeah just start scrutinizing the specs, look for stiffer springs (higher number, 40s mean squishy, 70 is closer to popping bubble wrap).

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Tbf the sort of person that fusses over key presses is also perfect for fussing over their delicately flavored water.

I like my finger presses tactile and my hotwater smokey.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

sarcastx posted:

I guess - noob mech keyboard question - can you use like, any brand switches?
I just assumed since my Keychron V5 Max came with Gateron I was like, locked into that ecosystem...

Presuming your board is hotswappable switches, they need to be 3pin vs 5pin. 5pin is for soldered switches. Some switches I've found are only available in one or the other. But otherwise any brand you want as long as the keycaps match the stem (usually cherry mx or the little cross). If for whatever reason your ideal switch has five pins you can trim the two plastic ones. Other than that consideration, any brand is fine.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

After having done some homeworking recently, I’d say 500 will probably cover most any keyboard you’d consider absent some really high end bespoke stuff.

Some manufacturer options you haven’t mentioned trying but that are considered “gaming” keyboards and that I keep running into generally positive reviews for are wooting and Asus. And while I’ve encountered positive reviews for asus boards the impression I get is that you can find comparable features and quality on a cheaper budget and that asus is extracting a gamer tax for the label. Their gaming boards both boast the use of special switches where you can set the action point and also the software will register partial presses/depresses as unique keystrokes which lets you really spam the key. Reviews gave me the impression that the large majority of gamers aren’t going to be getting too much out of this feature, but if you play a game that spams buttons or that would appreciate the sensitivity of registering only partial key presses, those boards have that.

Alternatively ducky seems to have an array of suitable options and are positively reviewed as well.