Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Getting my first mech keyboard today - a Keychron v5 Max on Gateron Jupiter Reds. Pretty stoked to give it a crack and am already planning a modification that I thought I'd ask y'all about :

I have this bad habit with my current keyboard where I accidentally press the F1 key when I'm working up by the top row... maybe I'm a poo poo typist, I'll grant that and I know it's an unusual issue, but it happens to me frequently enough to bother me. It's only an issue if I'm using an Office app - because it does the creaking groaning slow-as-gently caress, bring Office to a crawl poo poo where it tries to dynamically connect to some garbage service and effectively stops me in my tracks while it tries to connect to 2,000 different tracking and logging services to render a lovely help page in the right pane which I'll immediately dismiss the moment the " x " renders. This issue should be lessened because my current lovely keyboard has the F1 key immediately above the number row and there's a bit more of a gap on the Keychron.

So I want to swap out the switch for the F1 key, with the heaviest loving switch known to man. I mean I want it to be like trying to crush a rock underneath a railroad tie by pressing on the rail. I figured I'd order a Gateron switch tester, find which of the switches is the most miserable to press, and then do the ol' pop & swap.

What do you think; sound like a feasible plan... or are the keys in switch testers fixed in place and irremovable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions all; will have a play around with VIA to see what all I can do with it.

The spring replacement is a solid idea, heh I even have some springs from my espresso machine to adjust the group head pressure that might fit
I don't have a fixie but having a customized mechanical keyboard and modified espresso machine must make me some type of identifiable fuckwit for sure

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

gnatalie posted:

your best bet would be the aliaz 70, they feel awful.

via is a better option tho

I guess - noob mech keyboard question - can you use like, any brand switches?
I just assumed since my Keychron V5 Max came with Gateron I was like, locked into that ecosystem...

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

My new Keychron V5 Max is going well - but I do have one question that I hope y'all can assist with;

As currently configured there seems to be no good way to tell if the capslock or numlock are on; if I have all of the backlighting switched off and then enable one/both of those modifiers then those keys are backlit (which is fine) but if I have the backlighting on (which I do most of the time) then there's no change.

Is there a way to use Via so that enabling either modifier maybe sets the backlight to red or pulse or something like that?