Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Saukkis posted:

Interesting way to create a new layouts.

Using AI to Create the Perfect Keyboard

That ai created keyboard is no good. O and U on the left pinky? Pinky pain..

T and H on the same finger? No way. The inward roll for th on Dvorak is perfect

This is the sort of thing that interests me, I've played with alternative keyboard layouts since I was about 13 or so. I use a slightly modified wide Dvorak.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Saukkis posted:

Yes, that prototype layout is probably plenty lacking, but the idea behind this method is intriguing, just needs more, and better and more stringent rules for evolutionary "goodness". Make pinky more expensive, give the roll better score, better score for "alternating hand typing". Or whatever features makes a layout good.

Instead of manually creating a layout for every use case, because Dvorak is no good, all languages require their own version. When I started researching a layout to use with my Ergodox EZ I found at least two different Dvorak modifications created for Finnish but neither has an established position. I also found a layout called DAS created by one guy that looked best to my eye and had the best sounding theory, but there is no real testing done between these.

But typing Finnish isn't the only thing I need, I'm divided pretty evenly between typing Finnish and English, with a hefty dose of Bash command shell sprinkled on top, and that's why I customized the DAS layout quite a bit for my needs. For example I have "$" at the CapsLock location, and they keys closest to my right thumb are Enter and "|". Finnish standard layout doesn't have a key for "|", you need to stretch to press AltGr+"+" and this also introduces a regular problem where you type "|<non-breakable space>less" and then Bash give you a weird error complaining that it can't find the command "less" and it will take quite a while before you understand what the problem is.

When I was switching layouts I took a sampling of my email and Bash histories and calculated what characters I use the most to at least check that they are at the home row. It would have been better if I could have given my typing history for an AI like this. And what if your Yakuza boss took your left pinky? That would significantly alter what kind of layout you need.

That's great, I'm glad to see others actually change the layout as well, to their needs. I've been using my mod for 12 years

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 19, 2024