Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Man I got a logitech low profile mechanical. I like it I guess but some of the switches are dying, and a couple are getting double presses. I've done the clean thing. This is the third I've bought from big companies (razer, corsair, logitech).

Also my toddler randomly hits the macro record key and I don't notice, and if I hit a macro key it goes on to type 45 minutes of bullshit. Also she walked off with the numlock key and it's dumb hard to orrder a new one that fits this proprietary click in system. I just want a mechanical keyboard without any bullshit. And also hot swappable.

Can I just grab one of the more expensive keychron and be ok?

e: that orrder up there was a double press too. I need some new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Yeah keychrons are alright, we just always recommend getting them from amazon or another retailer that has a good return policy instead of keychron's website, since they aren't great to deal with directly.

That sounds good - that was the gist I got, their keyboards are good but their customer service sucks.

I should just be able to order a base kit from Amazon then get some switches and caps and be good to assemble it right? I know I can get a prebuilt but I want to do it myeslf just to nerd out.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Keychron is basically the only viable option on the market for the things their boards do at their price point, but their QC is practically nonexistent and a keyboard you buy from them has a pretty good chance of arriving with a major defect. If you bought it directly from them, you're SOL; they will tell you to get hosed.

That's why you really want to buy any Keychron product from Amazon. If it arrives problematic, you just ship it back and get a replacement. Once you have a board that was actually built right, you're golden.

What if I was willing to spend a little more? I don't mind if it's gonna be good for like 10 years. The gaming company boards I get basically only last 2-3 years with heavy use. Once a switch dies I just replace the whole keyboard because I don't want to mess with soldering, proprietary caps, etc.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well, hotswappability is one of the important things Keychron boards do. If that's not important to you, you can probably get a similar board at a reasonably similar price from a different brand yeah.

mariooncrack posted:

What's your budget? I'd say for up to $100, there's a few glorious offerings that I'd say are comparable to Keychron's plastic offerings. They won't match up to Keychron's more premium offerings though.

Hot swap sockets make it easier to repair and change things but the sockets themselves can still break.

Hotswappable, standard keycaps are the main thing I'm looking for. Backlit is nice too (RGB isn't necessary but I do consider it a perk).

Budget I'd say under $500.

I'm down for keychron but if there's something more expensive (that's worth it) I'd go higher. I've been lurking this thread awhile and every time I go to replace my keyboard I get overwhelmed with the options and give up.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Mode. I swear, posters here are so hooked on Keychron when they sound not great at best, are a poo poo company and all
That. It’s your keyboard. Have it be a good tool that will
Last you the next 10-20 years and are easy to fix if you need to. Mode is sitting right there. (They are more expensive but will last you ten years). Need an extra PCB? Mode. Need other parts to change it up? Mode. If they don’t have the size profile you want, I get it.
It’s both a great endgame and the only keyboard you’ll really need. The envoy is their cheapest and a great board. The sonnet is my daily driver. I can’t wait for the new 65 to arrive.

And thanks for the poster who said my post and the other one should be the new beginning of the thread.

I actually think I really like the sonnet, was looking for a 75. Does it have any backlighting? I can’t tell from the website but it’s not a deal breaker. I type in the dark loneliness a lot and can’t find the “:” and “(“ key by touch. Otherwise looks like exactly what I was looking for.

gnatalie posted:

by god, that's mode design's music :vince:

I think I like the mode. Rexxed the model F looks quality too but I just can’t handle the size, it being compact is kind of important to me going from the Logitech one with a full 10-key and macros on the left. The things just too drat big. Those frames are giant.

Think I’m gonna go with the Mode unless anyone hard sells a ducky 75 with the lighting. Now to agonize over switches and caps :( seems like this thread likes gatereon switches?

vaginite fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 30, 2024

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Yiggy posted:

After having done some homeworking recently, I’d say 500 will probably cover most any keyboard you’d consider absent some really high end bespoke stuff.

Some manufacturer options you haven’t mentioned trying but that are considered “gaming” keyboards and that I keep running into generally positive reviews for are wooting and Asus. And while I’ve encountered positive reviews for asus boards the impression I get is that you can find comparable features and quality on a cheaper budget and that asus is extracting a gamer tax for the label. Their gaming boards both boast the use of special switches where you can set the action point and also the software will register partial presses/depresses as unique keystrokes which lets you really spam the key. Reviews gave me the impression that the large majority of gamers aren’t going to be getting too much out of this feature, but if you play a game that spams buttons or that would appreciate the sensitivity of registering only partial key presses, those boards have that.

Alternatively ducky seems to have an array of suitable options and are positively reviewed as well.

Also thanks for this - these keyboards look pretty good but I’m kind of jonesing on the mode ones now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Got a sonnet on the way, thanks for the advice everyone :)