Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think I've been using a logitech G15 for about 10 years now so I decided I'm finally going to go mechanical.

I've had my eye on the corsair K70 rgb since at least last black friday, but never really saw it drop below $180 CAD.

So yesterday I ordered a Ducky One for $100 CAD because being able to install custom keycaps really appeals to me.

Would a set of keycaps like this from AliExpress be all that bad? I don't want to go full blown audiophile with this hobby before my first mechanical keyboard has even arrived at my doorstep.

e: also if my question could spark a massive flamewar I'd appreciate it

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

HAmbONE posted:

So if I just wanted to walk down to my local computer store (Canada), are any of these recommended/good deals? Or would I be a fool not to order online somewhere else.

Not Hardcore computer , have old G-15 that I never used to it's full extent and it's keys are starting to fail.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/Keyboards_Gaming

Get a REDRAGON

mewse
May 2, 2006

HAmbONE posted:

Thank you guys for your response

edit: Going with the https://www.amazon.ca/Redragon-K552...g%2Bkeyboard%2B(black&th=1

I was half joking with my suggestion, please report back on how tank-like it is when it arrives

mewse
May 2, 2006

pgroce posted:

I was all ready to say SP was Chinese (which is what I thought), then I checked their website and saw they were "A leading, family-owned U.S. manufacturer of custom keycaps." Does that mean they're manufacturing in the States, though, or just that the company's owned by an American family?

I'm also left wondering how much of their work is keyboard weirdos like us and how much is industrial products. Making keys for phones/burglar alarms/F-35s/etc. has got to be worth more money than a niche hobby market, but a surprising amount of their website is dedicated to mechanical kb dorkery.

Keyboard Megathread - Kill Time Waiting for KBs by Stalking Manufacturers

I started poking around their website too and came across this

quote:

We currently have 148 ABS colors and 107 PBT colors to choose from and the resources to color match nearly any custom color for a fee. Color rings containing all of our standard colors can be purchased on our eCommerce site, https://www.pimpmykeyboard.com.

:lol:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ordered a $90 set of keycaps kill me now

mewse
May 2, 2006

ErikTheRed posted:

I bought that set in orange and black, it loving rules.

Thank you for validating my poor impulse control

mewse
May 2, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

I wouldn't spend 90 bucks on a maxkey set with terrible novelty keys. If I spend more than 50 bucks on a keycap set it's going to be GMK or SP.

I wanted dolch in SA profile. I could get DSA profile from SP for $125 but the chinese have DSA profile in PBT plastic for $40-50ish. Seems like GMK have it in Cherry profile

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay I get the keyboard thing and like both my unicomp and my cherry-brown keyboard but what's the deal with these keycaps? How do keycaps vary? What makes a good one that you'd spend a bunch of money for? Is it just weight/color?

There are different profiles:

There are different plastics, mainly ABS and PBT.

There are different methods of printing the legends: double-shot plastic can't rub off. Dye sublimated can't realistically rub off. Other methods aren't as durable.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dizz posted:

tl;dr I'm looking for a new keyboard to buy maybe at the end of this month that is similar to mine [Which I think is an 80%] I was considering the ROG Claymore but it seems to be sold out everywhere since it seems right up my alley and comes with the optional numpad part if I ever want it. Looking to pay like $150~ if that's not too little.

That layout seems to be referred to as a 75%, 84-key layout. There seem to be a bunch of parts available to build a version called xd84.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Massdrop is relaunching a bunch of keycap sets

quote:

GMK 3Run Keycap Set
GMK Carbon Add-On Keycap Kit
GMK Carbon Custom Keycap Set
GMK Carbon Ergodox/Planck Modifers Kit
GMK Carbon Novelty Keycap Set
GMK TA Royal Alpha Typewriter Keycap Set
Massdrop x Jessica GMK Plum Custom Keycap Set
Carbon SA Keycap Set
Dasher & Dancer SA Custom Keycap Set
Galaxy Class Keycaps Set
Godspeed Custom SA Keycap Set
Granite Keycap Set
Hana DSA Custom Keycap Set
Infinity Cherry MX Dye-Sub Keycap Set
Jukebox SA Custom Keycap Set
Jukebox SA Keyset
MiTo DSA: Sci-Fi Keycap Set
Overcast DSA Custom Keycap Set
PuLSE SA Keycap Set
The Amazing Chocolatier Custom SA Keycap Set

mewse
May 2, 2006

This is live. Just ordered Dasher SA for my upcoming tada68 build

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tell me about it. I got one with cherry clears and I went to take a drink and suddenly the unabomber manifesto was typed out on my screen and emailed to the FBI

mewse
May 2, 2006

emdash posted:

i hadn't seen mito gmk laser yet and it is loving attractive https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-gmk-laser-custom-keycap-set

drop starts nov 3

:shepspends:

mewse
May 2, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

One issue for the OCD, every single cap has a slight divot on the front edge. I haven't had that issue with any other caps I've bought. Seems like poor design ... if that's necessary for this ABS double-shot process ... maybe put it on the top edge where it isn't typically visible.

Actually I'm pretty sure Signature Plastics is infallible so you can't be correct.

I checked your posts because I like your miami dolch set and saw you're also in Canada. I got the SA miami set from mechkeys.ca like 2 days after ordering because they were in-country already.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Instrumedley posted:

Mini USB port on my TADA68 is loose and won't hold the cable in anymore. Don't know how to solder or have the tools for it. Any suggestions on what to do?

Maybe contact KBDfans, explain the problem and see if they will sell you a bare PCB to swap in

mewse
May 2, 2006

pgroce posted:

There's a certain Zen calm you get as you watch your drop fulfillment date skate steadily back with each monthly update. I feel weirdly serene whenever I see some new shiny thing on the horizon. Why, after all, should I think about buying a new set of caps or a keyboard when I'm still waiting for the last ones I ordered? Maybe they'll be endgame. Maybe they will complete me.

I close the window with the new shiny in it and get on with my day. Good things come in time.

(Send me my loving poo poo or I'll cut you, Massdrop.)

Are you waiting on something handcrafted like those set-matching USB cables that are literally paracord on heatshrunk connectors?

mewse
May 2, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Artisan caps

I've spent $1300 upgrading my keyboard, gently caress anyone who says it is a "bad investment"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

What type of switch does the MK Disco TKL Black PBT actually use? On the Amazon page linked there, it says "KBT (Greetech)", but I thought those were two different brands. Does that make it a fake, and should I just order directly from MK?

This keyboard was listed as a quick pick in the OP, is it still considered a good first mechanical keyboard? I need to get a keyboard of my own, and I'm thinking of choosing this one.

KBTalking switches are custom Greetech switches apparently. When I search "disco tkl" on amazon canada they are all KBT switches.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nothinh wronh with that keyboard

mewse
May 2, 2006

foutre posted:

Does anyone have reccs for a 65/68% (basically, small with arrow keys) keyboard that comes in white or silver? Hopefully with as few non-standard keycaps as possible, I have a set of Godspeed keycaps arriving in February that I want to put on it.

I finally found a white Leopold FC210TP with Cherry Browns; my (god willing...) endgame is so close (well, at least 4 months away, but hey).

e: Was looking at a Tada68 with Zealios/silver aluminum, but I'm not sure if the keycaps are standard/at that point it's ~$200 and there's maybe better boards at that price point.

I have a tada68 on order so I've spent a lot of time looking at the layout. I think if you wanted to put godspeed on it you would've had to have ordered the TSAFOX modifiers. The most challenging caps are the 1u modifiers between spacebar and arrow keys on the right hand side, followed by the nav keys on the right hand edge. Oh and yeah the 1.75 shift key sucks too.

mewse
May 2, 2006

bustercasey posted:

Just built this Preonic from OLKB. Such a nice design and the "music" is a nice feature, though useless, unless you want to be more annoying than a model-m user. The caps are the Ice Caps from PMK. All R3 SA is nice for ortholinear, but nothing else.

Colemak eh? I tried to switch to dvorak once and failed miserably

mewse
May 2, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Just finished a pretty great two-week support saga with Varmilo. My VA87M was not able to switch the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys for some reason, and I found a Skype link on their website. Not expecting much, I hit the button and sent a message on a Friday afternoon, US time. Surprisingly, a few days later I get an actual response from Cynthia Chiu, based in Shenzhen, China. Long story short, over the course of two weeks of IMs left for each other I get a new firmware to flash, and now my keyboard functions as expected.

A++ would keeb again

Was not expecting that story to end well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brownie posted:

Anyone know what sites will ship to Canada with minimal hassle? I have too much money apparently and so am thinking about purchasing some keycaps to replace my ugly CM Storm Rapid ones.

I think I'm going to stop ordering stuff from massdrop because the shipping fee is expensive for DHL global shipping program but then there's extra charges at the post office.

Ordering from China on aliexpress (I've ordered from kbdfans and mechanical primitive) is good but takes a while to show up. They lie about customs value :P

e: basically repeating the last post

mewse
May 2, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So I checked over the OP and it doesn't cover the area I'm looking for.

I want to pick up a keyboard for work that has some macro keys so I can save some mousing and/or keystrokes at work.

Criteria:
1. at least 6 macro keys (more a plus, duh)
2. available in Canada
3. Under or close to $100
4. Not a piece of poo poo.

I'm currently using a Dell OEM keyboard at work, to give you an idea of where I'm at. Hit me with recommendations! Noise doesn't matter because my coworkers are already Noisy AF.

Logitech G105 has six macro keys and is on sale for $50 from bestbuy.ca

I haven't used it personally but have never had logitech stuff disintegrate on me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The GMMK TKL without switches or caps is still on sale for $41 as a black friday special. I ordered one because it includes RGB lighting and seems to be cheaper than ordering pcb+stab+plate+case from aliexpress

mewse
May 2, 2006

I want to order some clicky switches but can't decide between Kailh speed pinks, Kailh box whites (I like the click bar idea), or Kailh pro green. Any thoughts?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Constellation I posted:

I'd say go for box whites. Note that the speed pink/bronze are also click bar. The speed switches can be a little annoying for just regular typing since it's super sensitive with the 1.1mm actuation. But I love it for gaming. The Pro light greens are 1.7mm so they're better in that regard. No experience with the pro light greens, but those use the traditional sleeve jacket for the click (think Cherry Blues but not poo poo). I've tried Kailh Golds and those are pretty nice, so the light greens should be similar.

Thanks for the advice, I ordered a set of box whites + a tester for the pro switches

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mito laser tempted me but I didn't pull the trigger. Those ones just look lovely.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

Holy poo poo. So I bought a crummy roll up keyboard. It feels awful but it's perfect for lightweight travel situations. I also bought an aukey mechanical keyboard because it was on sale. Typing feels great but I could not imagine how loud it is. It's as loud in real life as those fake typing sounds movies add so you know the hacking is getting serious.

So I have to know, is the clackening a byproduct of the keys feeling good, or is the volume purposefully increased?

If the aukey has blue switches those are basically the loudest mechanical switches you can get. They are clicky and noisey

mewse
May 2, 2006

Odette posted:

What the gently caress are Zealios?

They're a type of switch for mechanical keyboards

mewse
May 2, 2006

Odette posted:

Well yeah, but what's the appeal?

They're supposed to be ~the cadillac~ of keyswitches but I think it's a perceived value thing (much less people are willing to pay the price premium for zeal PCB or stabilizers). They are made by Gateron. The tactile bump is supposed to be slightly more aggressive than other switches. The springs are gold plated and lubed.

Kailh pro purples are supposedly comparable and not priced by an insane person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0cnRdpMdWM

mewse
May 2, 2006

Received my gmmk TKL barebones from black friday and it seems to be everything as advertised. Don't have any switches to install in it yet but looking forward to it, I plugged it in and the SMD RGB LED's are nice, bright, and colorful.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone got any idea where to find the red ESC key from this collection, or something like it? https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-mechanical-keyboard-keycaps Cause I really like how it looks, but I can’t find it sold individually.

A red ESC key in general would be pretty boss, actually.

They threw the red "ascend" cap into my gmmk tkl barebones order.

mewse
May 2, 2006

This kit matches those caps and is $40 without switches

mewse
May 2, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

MD is dropping a keyboard designed by some keycap designers (one of them is t0mb3ry) together with GMK.

It’s a $300 70% board with a non standard bottom row with a weird size spacebar.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-uniqey-c70-mechanical-keyboard

mewse
May 2, 2006

Like a bag of sand...

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh, dope! Here's a thing

mewse
May 2, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Woohoo! I did the thing

Now to buy some switches from NovelKeys, but which ones...

Guess I'll at least wait for the switch tester I ordered to come in :v:

You're gonna be like me and get stuck with a barebones board for an excruciating wait for lack of keyswitches!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Looks like KBDFans will be offering a silent zealio killer soon, made by Gateron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dang, you're right, that bump isn't very pronounced.