Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
Also considering that if you get tired of the set, if it was even vaguely in demand you could pretty easily unload it at cost if not more on GH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

leper khan posted:

I want to ruin my wallet with fancy colored caps for my µTron and HHKB Pro JP.

Where do I get overly expensive topre caps tia.

Topre-stem aftermarket keysets by and large don't exist. You could get a set of Topre HiPro (similar to SP SA profile) caps, which would involve you buying a HiPro and stripping off the caps, or occasional novelties/artisan caps here and there. The other alternative would be to buy sliders to replace the Topre ones, which is kind of a pain in the rear end. Sliders are of rather variable quality too, the cheap ones will wobble and be lovely

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Krailor posted:

Topre please make a TKL Realforce.

Alternatively, has anyone seen a backlit board with front printed legends? I feel like it would look cool but I'm not sure how well the lighting would come through.

You meab other than the 87U?

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

surebet posted:

two new maxkey sets are filtering out of china:

maxkey ninja (black on black)

maxkey dolch

although i'm glad to see this show up (portland had flat greys versus these proper more brown tinted greys, in line with proper dolch), i have to point out that we're coming up on signature plastics having an arguably similar value for $25 more with it's less gaudy arrow keys and a bonus red esc key. signature plastics set is however offered in a dsa profile, so if you're after an sa set maxkey obviously pulls ahead. sp dsa dolch

Yeah I'm getting really excited over maxkeys fixing SP's horrible lead times. I might have to go in on Dolch even though I have Portland already...

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
I finally decided to learn to solder and threw together my office keyboard after the kit spent a year in my closet. Adjusting to a 40% isn't as much of a pain in the rear end as I thought it'd be (at least for what I have to type) and Matias QCs have a nice feel to them. They're a lot softer than my 55g Topre RF at home though.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

ColHannibal posted:

Im going to post this again so somebody else with a realforce can make an equally expensive mistake.

https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-norbaforce-cnc-aluminum-housing-for-realforce-keyboards

Wonder how durable the powder coatings are...torn between gray and glossy white

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

ColHannibal posted:

Powder coating is normally pretty strong, I went with black anodized.

After much waffling I finally went with glossy white to contrast with my black RF keys

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping it'll be as advertised and only take like three months once it closes, since he seems to have his poo poo together more than most other GB folks. Then again, I'm still waiting on my Clueboard from Massdrop that I ordered in June...

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Megalixir posted:

i'm gay.

Anyone ever opened a Realforce before? I sure hope I don't gently caress this up, once I get it.

welcome to the gay hype train. i will be contributing pictures of my aesthetics'ed out black key, white winkeyless case RF in eight years when cases ship

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Thats what I was thinking. But also it seems like getting decent o-rings is going to be half the cost of my keyboard (Aukey 87 key). I used to have a DAS brown back in 2011 which was cool but not really satisfying to type on because there was no click unless I bottom out. Trying to find a nice (and most importantly cheap) in-between of volume.

O-rings won't make a drastic difference on blues, because the sound is primarily from the click jacket. Clears would probably be the closest MX switch to what you're after, or maybe Matias Quiet Clicks, but admittedly Alps keysets are few and far between.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

I know a lot of people are really into win-keyless. Is this simply a Linux thing or am I missing another reason one would want to lose an extra mod key?

I remap windows to caps lock and use cases with blockers for a e s t h e t i c s

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Agreed. I still like my dumb little spinner a lot more than any ludicrous Fugu (why is the world's ugliest artisan also the world's most expensive)

Regarding expense, I would like to point you towards sales of the rarer bro caps that eclipsed a grand per key, or the Keyforge/Booper auctions that eclipsed a few thousand each. People get crazy about artisans, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

pgroce posted:

It’s only one key more than the Model F and M 122s. I think the keys look better on the 122, but I could see people wanting a macro pad built in to their regular 101-key.

I suppose it’s more economical to get a 122-key M, but maybe not? The weirder Ms get expensive.

It's like that guy who made a bona-fide hyper 7