Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Shadow of Destiny is a time-travel murder-mystery adventure game. You play a guy named Eike Kusch, and you're investigating the murder of someone named Eike Kusch. In the first episode, I also try to recruit the help of some dude in a cafe named Eike Kusch. Then we set out to solve the mystery of why everyone in a German town has an American accent.

It was released in Japan and Europe as Shadow of Memories, and came out just about one year after the PS2 was initially released. So it's not strictly a launch title, but it was one of the two first games I bought when I first got a PS2 (the other being Zone of the Enders, because everyone had to have the MGS2 demo disc).

I loved the hell out of this game, despite its many flaws, because of the time travel theme and the strength of (some of) the writing. But nobody wants to hear me wax nostalgic for hours over really early PS2 graphics that haven't aged well, so I've brought Dan and Grace along with me for this ride. Grace is going into this completely blind, and even though Dan "one hundred percented this game twice" I still manage to show him some new things. To that end, I want to maintain a strict no spoilers policy. I know it's an old game but it was never really popular, and it really shouldn't be ruined for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

Episode 1: "Dog Mafia controls German town"
Episode 2: "Performance art in Germany"
Episode 3: "I hope that kid's grandpa dies"
Episode 4: "Anyway, bye"
Episode 5: "Cats are cute"
Episode 6: "Yeah that's on-brand"
Episode 7: "Is this real?"
Episode 8: "Poirot is a terrible person"
Episode 9: "gently caress that baby"
Episode 10: "I'm glad you invited me to this LP"
Episode 11: "At least I'm being honest"
Episode 12: "What"
Episode 13: "I didn't watch Rainbow Brite and I'm gay"
Episode 14: "Nope, I'm Eike"
Episode 14B: "You're not usually this smart"
Episode 15: "CirclMastr's going to jail"
Episode 16: "That's the best thing I've ever heard in my life"
Episode 17: "There are so many problems here"

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This game is really

Good™

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Danaru posted:

This game is really

Good™

I enjoyed Time Hollow more then when I had this on PSP. Dear God it can be confusing at points.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CirclMastr posted:

even though Dan "one hundred percented this game twice" I still manage to show him some new things.

In Canada they base their percentages on the USD to CAD conversion rate, so full completion would be about 130% for him.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This game is incredibly dumb and I love it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the music, especially after Eike's initial murder as the clock strikes and it hits the main harpsichord theme. Dun dun dunana~na! Dun dun dunana~na! Dun dun dunana~na da dadadadadada~ :3: I liked this game too, played it myself, loved the retsupurae of it - afterwards Slowbeef and Diabetus had a guest on one of their streams who was a superfan of the game who helped them unpack the plot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
drat, this looks like a Japanese take on the German budget adventure game circa 2000.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Wow, Eike is like 70% legs. :psyduck: This looks like it should be a bizarre fun one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This game is....A Thing. Looking forward to Grace's reactions when this game gets batshit.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the music, especially after Eike's initial murder as the clock strikes and it hits the main harpsichord theme. Dun dun dunana~na! Dun dun dunana~na! Dun dun dunana~na da dadadadadada~ :3: I liked this game too, played it myself, loved the retsupurae of it - afterwards Slowbeef and Diabetus had a guest on one of their streams who was a superfan of the game who helped them unpack the plot.

Do you have a link to the stream? I would like to see the plot get explained. It mostly makes sense to me, but some things an explanation would be nice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd rather not link to a video explaining the games plot one video into an LP with a "no spoiler" policy. Seems imprudent.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd rather not link to a video explaining the games plot one video into an LP with a "no spoiler" policy. Seems imprudent.

:doh: Makes sense. I did not see that line in particular, my bad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Shadow of Memories is a trip and a half, and I love the hell out of it :munch:. 100%'ed it myself too. And nth'ing that I can't wait for Grace's reactions either.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 2: "Performance art in Germany"

How do we get a remaster of this game with Paul Eiding and Cam Clarke?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't know why your guests think being able to see the shadow is a mistake... being able to see a mysterious character's shadow and nothing else at first is a fairly common trope, especially in horror.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know why your guests think being able to see the shadow is a mistake... being able to see a mysterious character's shadow and nothing else at first is a fairly common trope, especially in horror.

It's been a while since we recorded, but the only shadows I remember dumping on is the weird layering glitch that happens on the emulator. The one that's a straight rectangle going from peoples' heads to the floor.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Having watched the two videos, I realized I've heard of this game before. Mostly from the name Eike. It seems fin so far, but it feels very open. Like, if you don't know what to do it'll be extremely difficult.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well, it seems like it's an "adventure" game, so most of the challenge is probably in figuring out the developers' (frequently questionable) logic for puzzle solutions, which is doubly difficult on a time limit.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Which is a dumber time travel story, this or Next Life?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 3: "I hope that kid's grandpa dies"

This time, we save Eike from the thing that wasn't even a threat until he decided to endanger himself.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Forgall posted:

Which is a dumber time travel story, this or Next Life?

I think Next Life will always be the dumber time travel story no matter what you're comparing it to.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I get the feeling that the assassin would kill you for being a jerk or something if you tried to skip out on going into the fiery building.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
"I know what I'll do!" says the time(?) assassin, "I'll start a fire in some building somewhere, hoping my target will walk into it and die in the flames! It's .035% sure to work!"

And then it works.

And then Time Shenanigans.

And now chapter 2, which will have more Time Shenanigans. :allears:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I get the feeling that the assassin would kill you for being a jerk or something if you tried to skip out on going into the fiery building.

Yeah, I'd kinda like to know how you're "supposed" to die at the "Fated Hours" you're given. I'm morbidly curious now.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

azren posted:

Yeah, I'd kinda like to know how you're "supposed" to die at the "Fated Hours" you're given. I'm morbidly curious now.

Most of the time, the chapter opens with you being killed (like at the start of the game) followed by getting booted back in time to stop it. So what happens if you just let the bar burn down?

Let's find out.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cathode Raymond posted:

"I know what I'll do!" says the time(?) assassin, "I'll start a fire in some building somewhere, hoping my target will walk into it and die in the flames! It's .035% sure to work!"

And then it works.

And then Time Shenanigans.

And now chapter 2, which will have more Time Shenanigans. :allears:
Look, everybody knows that the plan that has a one-in-a-million chance of working will work perfectly 100% of the time.

Also, you can count on video game protagonists generally being stupid and heroic.

CirclMastr posted:

Most of the time, the chapter opens with you being killed (like at the start of the game) followed by getting booted back in time to stop it. So what happens if you just let the bar burn down?

Let's find out.
So, you just keel over for no reason. Is Eike a lich? Did he hide his phylactery in the bar?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Commander Keene posted:

So, you just keel over for no reason. Is Eike a lich? Did he hide his phylactery in the bar?

Unfortunately everyone in Lebensbaum is a pyromaniac, so they stare transfixed on the fire while any dork on the planet is free to waltz up and cram a knife into Eike's ribs. No one would even notice his body until the fire went out and they got bored.

Don't ever go to Lebensbaum

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

He didn't change his destiny of dying to stupidity. Tune in next time, when our assassin leves a fork next to an electric socket. How will Eike escape this deadly situation?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 4: "Anyway, bye"

Eike being stupid? That would NEVER happen. Not ever. Nope, certainly the smartest protagonist ever.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I take a dim view of time travel stories generally but this one is especially bad as you have the modern day time ticking away in the top right next to the 1580's time. It's got to be just about the worst case of "meanwhile, in the future..." I can think of.

Also, in a remarkable example of rigid thinking, Eike went back in time to murder a baby tree in a misguided attempt to deny his assassin a hiding place. What a piece of poo poo.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Cathode Raymond posted:

Also, in a remarkable example of rigid thinking, Eike went back in time to murder a baby tree in a misguided attempt to deny his assassin a hiding place. What a piece of poo poo.

Bear in mind that at this point in the game, Eike (and the player) has no control over what time period the Digipad sends him to. Later on I'll be able to travel to varying time periods but for now, the path is entirely linear.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cathode Raymond posted:

I take a dim view of time travel stories generally but this one is especially bad as you have the modern day time ticking away in the top right next to the 1580's time. It's got to be just about the worst case of "meanwhile, in the future..." I can think of.

Look, Satan wanted that tree out of the way. He would not let Eike go anywhere (or anywhen) else. Also, that sapling could be planted somewhere else, so it's not necessarily murder. I don't think the guy heard Eike's proclamation that a statue needed to go there and just decided "Well, I guess there's no need for you any more! Into my fireplace you go!"

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 5: "Cats are cute"

Do you think the guy's name is pronounced WAG-ner because of the influence of the Dog Mafia?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I want to profusely apologize for what Dan and Grace do this episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CirclMastr posted:

Dan and Grace have done nothing that requires apology :dong:.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CirclMastr posted:

You knew what would happen :colbert:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dan-"100 percented this game twice"-aru gets the shock and possibly disappointment of his life, as I demonstrate how to speedrun chapter 4.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CirclMastr posted:

Dan-"100 percented this game twice"-aru gets the shock and possibly disappointment of his life, as I demonstrate how to speedrun chapter 4.

I was wondering if you were gonna show that off :allears:.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mew under the truck is absolutely a real thing and definitely not a playground rumor from 1996 why would you even think that? Just like any child playing this game would clearly think to go back and forth through time 15 times to skip a chapter. Danaru you're just terrible at this game. :smuggo:

Hooray for stupidly arcane event triggers in adventure games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This is just baffling game design. Why?

• Locked thread