Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Eromanga-sensei: Good Show?
This poll is closed.
I watched it; yea it good 1 2.00%
I watched some; it meh 3 6.00%
I haven't watched it; am unsure 8 16.00%
I haven't watched it; big ol' NOPE 20 40.00%
I'M GOING TO JAAAAAIL! 18 36.00%
Total: 50 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Eromanga-sensei is without a doubt the most controversial anime series of this past season, and likely of the year. Opinions range from "NOPE" to "so bad it's good" on a scale I haven't seen in a long time.

I've generally got a good grasp on figuring out which shows I'll enjoy and which I won't prior to actually watching them, but I'm really stumped here. This show just sounds so stupid I'm struggling to understand how people can even defend it, and yet the defenses keep rolling in. Don't get me wrong, I've watched my fair share of dumb anime and like some really dumb shows, but this is some next level nonsense, and the defenders of the show are really overpowering the dissenters by volume and quantity.

So without giving away spoilers (lets say, from beyond the 2nd half of the show), describe why one would or would not watch this show. Is this the show that will change anime for the next decade? Is it a honeypot setup by the FBI? What does one even have to say about oneself by saying you enjoyed this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

everyone i talk to likes it?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
!malcompare eromanga

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

!malcompare eromanga

lol

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My vote is that you should not watch it because it's a harem (bad) about light novel creators (bad) with an incest option (really bad) where one of the primary harem candidates is 12 years old (worst).

A lot of the praise I've seen for it seems to be on the side of "It's so well made!" but why would you want something well made if what is being made is garbage? Is there really so severe a shortage of cute anime comedies that you can't find something else? Go watch Akazukin Chacha.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also you'll probably find out if you like it or not faster by just watching a few eps rather than waiting on dead forum consensus

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I read whatever chapters of the manga are currently available, and honestly I don't know why the hell I kept at it.

It's kinda funny? But also kinda creepy, but also just creepy. I don't know why I do things anymore.

EDIT: but yeah, I just passed on the anime. No point in it, to me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Pretty much everything that I've seen said about it, good and bad, is pretty valid. It's trashy, but I enjoyed it even so, and the last couple episodes were really outstanding. If you're on the fence, give the first ep a watch, and if you enjoy it, you're good to go. It's reasonably representative, iirc.

e: or wait, no, Elf doesn't show up until the 2nd ep, and she's the best

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's an incest anime that also happens to be funny and have a ridiculous amount of really talented staff, one of which was his having it be his first time directing an anime

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

It was okay

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I don't know if it was a good show but I might find out if someone posts screencaps of the long haired blonde guy bathing

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
let's talk about whether it's actually an incest show

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

let's talk about whether it's actually an incest show

Even if it's not, it still flies too close to that ugly sun.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

It was a bad show. Take away the sister, and you have a dumb harem about writing LNs that Saekano did better (ok that was VNs but similar enough). Leave only the sister and you get Ben & Jerrys.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not falling for the honeypot thread

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Namtab posted:

Not falling for the honeypot thread

I was going to use that thread tag, but then I found a more relevant one

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It was a bad show. Take away the sister, and you have a dumb harem about writing LNs that Saekano did better (ok that was VNs but similar enough). Leave only the sister and you get Ben & Jerrys.

Since Saekano was a show that I thought defined as a trashy show that was well made and enjoyable to watch but apparently I'm a square prude, on a scale of 1 to oniichan how much better is it than this?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
A day may come when I watch this show, when I forsake good taste and break all bonds with normies, but it is not this day.
An hour of cops and shattered front doors, when my life comes crashing down, but it is not this day!

This does make me want to rewatch Oreimo though, just to see if it's really was as funny as I remember or if it's just that I was a dumb teen when I watched it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Elf is a better character than anybody else on either this show or Oreimo.

The show itself is trashy, but a surprisingly high quality of trash. It's also a lot of fun in its own stupid way, if you don't think about it too much.

So, you know. A worthy successor to Oreimo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
S'alrit.

Not a fan of the stupid fan service poo poo but asking Japan to knock that off is a waste of breath.

Helps that I only really disliked Muramasa. A sharp inverse of my like to dislike ratio for Oreimo (only good character in that was the dad who kicked the poo poo out of the MC)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 30, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't watched it. Oreimo can go gently caress itself and the author needs to get a knee to his teeth, balls and stomach (in that order).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:thunk:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've changed my mind, Eromanga Sensei was extremely goddamn epic

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
"Eromanga Sensei: A Modern Masterpiece"*

*-The above video does not necessarily represent the opinions of AlternateNu nor any organizations or persons associated with AlternateNu

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Didn't the original author's sister cut ties with him because all the incest skeeved her out? I liked Game of Thrones so I'm not gonna declare it's literally impossible for the show to be good, but I sure as hell didn't see anything in the episodes I watched that would trump my distaste for the trope.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

Didn't the original author's sister cut ties with him because all the incest skeeved her out? I liked Game of Thrones so I'm not gonna declare it's literally impossible for the show to be good, but I sure as hell didn't see anything in the episodes I watched that would trump my distaste for the trope.

I'm fairly certain that it was a joke.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Fair enough, but I stand by the rest of the post.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

"Eromanga Sensei: A Modern Masterpiece"*

*-The above video does not necessarily represent the opinions of AlternateNu nor any organizations or persons associated with AlternateNu

Gigguk is a treasure.

TOURNAMENT ARC!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ConanThe3rd posted:

Gigguk is a treasure.

TOURNAMENT ARC!
He truly is.

:) "Hey dad! What's in our basement?"
:geno: "Sure thing, son. It's called: 'Go Read the loving manga'"
---
:mad: "God drat it"
:saddowns: "Every bloody time"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Gigguk is a treasure.

TOURNAMENT ARC!

Yup.

He also made a short follow-up video.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

The good bits were legit funny, if you liked Oreimo you'll like this. Or you hated Oreimo I would say give it a try anyway. It's still trash, but its fun trash.

Both the OP and ED are catchy as gently caress.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch4ZqqevbmM

I haven't watched the show but this video assures me that I never want to.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

everyone that watches anime youtubers should be taken to the gulag

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

everyone that watches anime youtubers should be taken to the gulag
Eh, some Anime YouTubers are alright. Digibro and his groupie brigade are the loving worst, though.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I don't know who they are but the fact that they have anime vlogs forces me to disagree.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Also, this show is creepy as gently caress.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Rangpur posted:

If you can put up with the explicit child sex and rape in the GoT books I doubt this show will phase you

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think there's a pretty tangible difference between horrible poo poo being explicitly depicted as horrible poo poo VS horrible poo poo that's teased at like "Isn't this cute/funny/sexy???"

Then again maybe I'm giving the Game of Thrones too much credit. I'm pretty sure I'm giving Eromanga-sensei the exact right amount of credit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Eh, some Anime YouTubers are alright. Digibro and his groupie brigade are the loving worst, though.

Digi himself needs to drag himself to rehab and or get help for his clear MH issues.

Geoff (Mother's Basement) , when he's not sipping the SAO toilet water, is great and Super Eyepatch Wolf does some amazing work including a loving autopsy of Bleach.

• Locked thread