Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://theintercept.com/2024/04/15/nyt-israel-gaza-genocide-palestine-coverage/

quote:

THE NEW YORK TIMES instructed journalists covering Israel’s war on the Gaza Strip to restrict the use of the terms “genocide” and “ethnic cleansing” and to “avoid” using the phrase “occupied territory” when describing Palestinian land, according to a copy of an internal memo obtained by The Intercept.

The memo also instructs reporters not to use the word Palestine “except in very rare cases” and to steer clear of the term “refugee camps” to describe areas of Gaza historically settled by displaced Palestinians expelled from other parts of Palestine during previous Israeli–Arab wars. The areas are recognized by the United Nations as refugee camps and house hundreds of thousands of registered refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Isreali war against " ". At this point, they should just not cover it at all and act as if nothing was happening, that would be a more effective form of gaslighting.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
the quiet magic of having a job that can be replaced with an outlook rule that just adds "can you take a look at this" and forwards any email you receive

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here's a senior British journalist apologising profusely for hinting in an interview that Israel killing all those Palestinian kids could be viewed as being murder-adjacent:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/apr/15/nick-robinson-israel-gaza-interview-bbc-david-cameron

quote:

Nick Robinson has said he “should have been clearer” when describing Israeli attacks in Gaza as “murders”, and that his words did not represent his or the BBC’s view.

The veteran broadcaster faced criticism for his choice of language during an interview with the foreign secretary, David Cameron, on the UK’s position after Iran’s attack on Israel over the weekend.

Downing Street said Rishi Sunak would not have used the word “murder” to describe deaths in Gaza, when asked about the BBC Radio 4 Today programme interview, and suggested that people should be “careful with their words”.

The prime minister has repeatedly said that there have been too many civilian deaths in Gaza, while maintaining that Israel has the right to defend itself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is the demographic that "switches from Trump 2020 to Biden 2024":

quote:

Straight Asian women aged 18-24 from a suburb in Texas, who are Catholic or Orthodox and took some college classes

Catholic Asian college girls in Texas, apparently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ytlaya posted:

This is the demographic that "switches from Trump 2020 to Biden 2024":

Catholic Asian college girls in Texas, apparently.

I think this might just be literally Connie from King of the Hill.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think this might just be literally Connie from King of the Hill.

Hey don't forget the Orthodox exemplars. Uh, Maria from Vladivostok, someone from the Caucasus region maybe?

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Asian and Catholic in Texas basically describes the Vietnamese community around Houston. Even if they all voted Biden it wouldn't turn Texas blue.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Hey don't forget the Orthodox exemplars. Uh, Maria from Vladivostok, someone from the Caucasus region maybe?

they have some ...

Metrophanes, Chi Sung

en.m.wikipedia.org posted:

Metrophanes, Chi Sung (Cháng Yángjí,常楊吉, his Chinese name is also sometimes translated as Tsi Chung) or Mitrophan (December 10, 1855 – June 10, 1900) was the first Chinese Eastern Orthodox priest to be martyred. He was killed with his family members and church followers in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion. He is the best known of some 222 Holy Chinese Martyrs glorified in August 2000 by the Eastern Orthodox Church. Metrophanes was stabbed in the chest by a crowd of rebels. Also considered martyrs are his wife Tatiana, whose Chinese name was Li, his sons, 23-year-old Isaiah and eight-year-old John, and Isaiah's nineteen-year-old fiancee Maria, who were all killed with him.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ps Jesus was Asian

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

ps Jesus was Asian
Jesus changes his ethnicity and gender every time you look away, just to gently caress with you. Oh jeeeeeeeeeeeeezus.
Edit: also so many people died during the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom revolt, the chinese Jesus war, it's insane.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Apr 16, 2024

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Can't believe the chick from Shogun voted for Biden and also Trump

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

a….lib?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Who can be stupid enoug- oh.
The next few months will be decisive or critical or whatever for whoever he is for.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AVxirlFbY8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you support every side, then you can't lose!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you support every side, then you can't lose!

If Hamas unconditionally surrenders and Iran has a colour revolution that installs a pro-Western regime, then Israel will no longer feel threatened and will voluntarily stop stealing land and killing people. Easy peasy!

(I've not read the article, but I assume that's the gist.)

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
NPR suspending Uri Berliner 5 days without pay technically for "you published a thing in an outside news outlet without letting us know" is such the ultimate lib brained response I can't even

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1779940477120172068

041724_3
Apr 17, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Apr 17, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RadCentrism/status/1780641563997327687

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1780855606074606079

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

That but with all media, including (and in particular) the new york times.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
I like how Liz Truss, who by every metric and measure was a massive idiot failure, is now being incessantly quoted by every outlet because she "wrote" a book.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DemihumanResources posted:

I like how Liz Truss, who by every metric and measure was a massive idiot failure, is now being incessantly quoted by every outlet because she "wrote" a book.
she did more in her almost two months in office than the entire british republican movement has managed in 200 years. to call her a massive idiot failure is pure misogyny.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

she did more in her almost two months in office than the entire british republican movement has managed in 200 years. to call her a massive idiot failure is pure misogyny.
She did more in that speech alone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFNRUuBARM4

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/1780902655432221164

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
So are we supposed to be pro sex work or anti sex work these days? Idk

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

i don’t care about any of that, i am anti British pervert

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the great-granddaughter of Albania's collaborationist prime minister?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

post hole digger posted:

i don’t care about any of that, i am anti British pervert

Fair

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

After observing this debate on these forums many times over the years, I have come to the conclusion that the strong consensus is it’s really not worth it, it just gets weird fast

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Pro sex-worker, anti sex-customer, as this article demonstrates

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cat botherer posted:

Pro sex-worker, anti sex-customer, as this article demonstrates
This is the Swedish model, and it sucks rear end according to Swedish sex workers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is the Swedish model, and it sucks rear end according to Swedish sex workers.

Is it worse than the opposite

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Is it worse than the opposite
Probably not, but that doesn't mean it's good. IIRC, that system encourages Johns to behave even more like criminals because they need to hide what they're doing/have more to lose if found out, which makes sex work more dangerous and encourages sex trafficking.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Read Revolting Prostitutes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A Buttery Pastry posted:

same in Canada

it’s OK to be anti-dude-who-wrote-that-article specifically, I would say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I’m not saying there should be legal penalties, but it should be fine to mock. Most sex worker customers are gross. Some, I assume, are good people.