Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In any case, the existence of worse alternatives does not mean the Swedish model doesn't suck rear end, it just means some other models suck more rear end.

I was responding to a post that made the comparison between the nordic model and others:

quote:

IIRC, that system encourages Johns to behave even more like criminals because they need to hide what they're doing/have more to lose if found out, which makes sex work more dangerous and encourages sex trafficking.

I don't have a strong opinion on the absolute merits of any one system except that any regulatory framework should involve appropriate sanctions for Lloyd Evans. I'd be open to reading an article or something summarising the arg of Revolting Prostitutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

cat botherer posted:

They have mystical secrets.

it's not dark magic. I'm autistic and I masked myself through a lot of early sexual encounters in my life. I learned to manage the mechanics of sex w/o that magical disney romance part long before I ever found something like it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Making sex work illegal is not ideal, because throwing sex workers into the carceral system for participating in sex work does not help, and especially since sex work has a measure of economic coercion behind it (indeed, once all other measures of economic coercion have been exhausted)

At the same time, the long-term, or one might even say utopian goal should be that nobody should be engaging in sex work to begin with. Indeed, legalized sex work has a seedy undercurrent in that it creates a perverse incentive for human trafficking as sex work becomes industrialised.

Ergo, as long as we're under capitalism, sex workers should enjoy protections and rights and respect for their humanity as they engage in sex work, but that doesn't mean that sex work is something we should expect human society to have in perpetuity.

The conflict is usually in terms of verbalizing the latter, when we're still neck-deep in dealing with the former

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cassian of Imola posted:

I was responding to a post that made the comparison between the nordicswedish model and others:
yeah? It makes it more dangerous compared to existing better alternatives, which is the only relevant comparison.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Making sex work illegal is not ideal, because throwing sex workers into the carceral system for participating in sex work does not help, and especially since sex work has a measure of economic coercion behind it (indeed, once all other measures of economic coercion have been exhausted)

At the same time, the long-term, or one might even say utopian goal should be that nobody should be engaging in sex work to begin with. Indeed, legalized sex work has a seedy undercurrent in that it creates a perverse incentive for human trafficking as sex work becomes industrialised.

Ergo, as long as we're under capitalism, sex workers should enjoy protections and rights and respect for their humanity as they engage in sex work, but that doesn't mean that sex work is something we should expect human society to have in perpetuity.

The conflict is usually in terms of verbalizing the latter, when we're still neck-deep in dealing with the former
that's why abolitionism, where the logic of capitalism and rent-seeking (pimps and brothels) is specifically NOT legal, is the best option we've come up with so far.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Sanlav posted:

it's not dark magic. I'm autistic and I masked myself through a lot of early sexual encounters in my life. I learned to manage the mechanics of sex w/o that magical disney romance part long before I ever found something like it.

the kwisatz haderach...

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
All sex should be considered work, with minimum wage.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Alright grabbed my copy of Revoluting Prostitutes and will attempt to very briefly summarize the 35 page chapter entitled "The People's Home", which deals with the Swedish Model (also called Nordic Model). I once again wish to encourage actually reading the drat book in its entirety if you actually care about this topic at all.

Example countries listed in which this model has been implemented are Sweden, Northern Ireland, France and Iceland.
Definition: A legal regime that criminalises the purchase of sex and punishes third parties (such as managers, drivers and landlords) while ostensibly decriminalising those who sell sex.

The theory behind this legal regime was "the women is given support to leave the harmful situation she has found herself in, and targeting demand will have a disciplinary effect on a culture of patriarchal male entitlement: men will be rehabilitated. This should mean that over time, fewer women will be exploited in prostitution, making countries with such a law less attractive destinations for traffickers."

The law has 4 priorities: buyer, seller, exit services and third parties (traffickers or pimps). Arguably the strongest priority is to go after the buyer and in doing so, end demand. This is the distinguishing feature of this model. This book is primarily concerned about people who sell sex, and how laws and policies surrounding this affect them, and thus will examine this law from that perspective. So what happens to to people who sell sex when their clients are criminalized?

Criminalizing clients means less clients, means more time spent on the street looking for clients. Then if a dodgy client the sex worker was warned about by other sex workers, or who seems under influence, shows up, the sex worker has less power to turn that client down. This is a recurring motif throughout this book, which is explained in earlier chaper. You see, sex workers sell sex because they need money. So lowering demand for sex workers means sex workers suffer in income, which they still need to live. Less money means less power to choose their clients and the circumstances in which they service those clients, means more vulnerability. For example through not being able to say no to reduced rates, or having to accept not using a condom. The criminalized client will want to prevent being seen, so the sex worker will need to help the client to stay hidden.

Criminalizing clients means some potential clients, like say, guys with marriages and kids and stable jobs, now risk losing too much if they get arrested, so this type of client disappears. The type of client who has less to lose remains. For example those who were planning to commit a robbery against the sex worker in the first place, or those who already have convictions so what's one more if they get arrested for buying sex? Pro-Nordic Model politician Rhoda Grant even described this dynamic while advocating for its introduction in Scotland, saying "While those who currently break the law will not see the criminalisation of the purchase of sex as a deterrent, may others will".

Strategies used by sex workers to protect themselves, for example working in a group, taking time to assess a client before getting in their car, having a friend write down the number plate to signal that someone knows with whom she left, all make you more visible as sex workers and increase the risk of the client getting caught. This means doing these things will scare off clients. But the sex workers still need the money. So they will stop doing these things. There are multiple quotes from sex workers from Norway, Sweden and Vancouver saying exactly these things in their own words. There is a citation of a report of the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare and a report by the Norwegian Ministry of Justice and Public Security which says exactly these things, and concluding that more abuse takes place. "For those forced to work on the streets, life has become much harder". The book goes on citing sex workers and government reports for the next couple of pages just repeating and backing this up over and over. Then looks at sex workers working indoors and does the same thing.

The key paragraph is "All of this is inherent to the approach of "ending demand", which takes much of its basis from simple economics. The idea is that a reduction in demand will lead to a "correction in the market" whereby, because fewer people want to pay for sex, fewer people will sell it. What this smooth story misses is that the first thing which happens when you reduce demand on any product or service is that the price at which it can be sold goes down, and sellers desperately compete to retain a share of a shrinking market. In other words, the law is working how it is intended to work when it makes people who sell sex poorer and more precarious. Ann Martin, head of Sweden's anti-trafficking unit, admitted this: "I think of course the law has negative consequences for women in prostitution but that's also some of the effect we want to achieve with the law. It shouldn't be as easy as it was before to go out and sell sex." There is no "end demand" which does not make people who sell sex poorer - and making people poorer reduces their power in interactions with clients. Advocates of the Nordic model, are correct that most people go into sex work with few (or no) other options. That lack of options is one of the things that makes reducing demand so harmful. When people have few or no other options, they cannot easily "exit" the sex industry because conditions become harsher.

So second priority: exit services.

Exit services are supposed to be an integral part of the sex purchase ban. Firstly the name itself is problematic, as it focuses not on where a person is trying to get to, but instead keeps a shaming focus on where they came from. In the abstract, effective and non-judgmental support schemes are a good thing. In practice, projects that aim to shift sex workers out of prostitution often are ineffective and judgmental. The main stumbling block is that such programmes need money. People who sell sex often have a range of complex need and require holistic support which cannot be provided on the cheap. The easiest solution to get sex workers out of sex work is to simply give them the money they are making through sex work. The book goes into detail explaining this isn't the same as giving them another job that earns the same money, as the motivation for sex work might be that the sex worker can earn that money in much less time spent working than in another job, and that due to their personal circumstances they might not be able to put in that time or that type of work in said other job.

The book then examines Sweden's exit services in detail, and finds that since the introduction of the Swedish Model laws, no extra funding was provided for social services, while police funding was increased multiple times. The book also points out an example of a man receiving a lower sentence for rape because his victims were prostitutes, and quotes a Swedish Detective Superintendent saying "It should be difficult to be a prostitute in our society - so even though we don't put prostitutes in jail, we make life difficult for them". The book goes on quoting social workers, government officials and politicians to demonstrate that this whole model is a sham not motivated out of genuine concern for the wellbeing of sex workers at all. It then goes into

The third priority: the seller

The Nordic model is supposed to be about decriminalizing prositutes. It first quotes a bunch of supporters of this model, both in places where it has been implemented and in places where some advocate for it, which all put emphasis on this point. It then contrasts this with the actual reality of the lives of sex workers in places where the Nordic Model is implemented. In France for example, while nationally the law against soliciting might be repealed, there are still various municipal anti-prostitution decrees leading to continued arrests for street based sex workers. When Ireland implemented the Nordic model, they rejected a provision that would have allowed sex workers to keep the money they had on them when their client was arrested. Instead, when a client is arrested, the police take all of her cash as "proceeds of crime". The book describes how in Norway, sex workers are regularly evicted by police if they find out where they live (on the same day, no less), and by the way, refusing to give your address to a police officer when asked is a crime in Norway.

In almost every jurisdiction where the Nordic model operates, sex workers sharing flats are criminalised. In Oslo, Norway, a sex working woman was prosecuted as a brothel-keeper for sharing her flat with two friends - even though the court acknowledged that her primary motive was safety. Police in Sweden stake out flats to "catch" pairs of sex workers. In Northern Ireland, the first arrests made when the Nordic model was implemented was one client - and three sex working women, who were arrrested for brothel-keeping as they were found, during the raid ostensibly aimed at catching the client, to be sharing a flat.

Examples of arrests, evictions, police abuse go on for another 3 pages, followed by another 3 pages about all this also being used to deport sex workers. Including that police in Nordic countries routinely use sex workers' reports of violence to deport them.

The book then goes on to go into detail on the 4th priority, the so-called third parties, and finishes the chapter by making the case that the Nordic model, while not quite as bad as the "Victorian Hangover" of England or the "Carceral State" of the US, is basically a sham. The motivations for the sham being to keep intact some mis-earned reputation for progressiveness and feminism that stick to the Nordic countries. It also goes into detail on how so-called Radical Feminist proponents who support the Nordic model do so out of a sense that prostitution is an important part of the patriarchy and its continued existence helps keep intact the oppression experienced in their own upper- and middle-class lives, and thus these well-to-do white feminists are going after prostitution, without giving one flying gently caress about the (mostly poor, often non-white) women whose lives they materially worsen and endanger in the process. I'm paraphrasing a lot here, if I'm mischaracterizing anything blame me and not the authors of the book.

Anyway, read the drat book.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

nice, ty

Taken on their own terms, many of these objections to the Nordic Model seem to (1) argue for a more robust welfare state and looser immigration policy, not against criminalisation of johns, and (2) implicitly acknowledge that most women would avoid prostitution (i.e., sex w/ clients as opposed to other kinds of sex work) if they could.

Reducing the income it's possible to earn through prostitution is only a problem if they have no alternative. One alternative would be a job with comparable pay and perks. You mentioned low working hours, for an example of a perk. I don't think that matches the experience of most sex workers engaged in prostitution, but let's say for the sake of argument they're all highly paid freelancers. Despite the pay and perks, you frame their situation as them being forced to engage in prostitution, something they would avoid doing if they could find anything better. I think that's right. Prostitution is dangerous work, and necessarily involves a degree of subservience to the whims and fetishes of strange men. I sure as hell wouldn't do it if I could help it.

Countries choose to outlaw many other kinds of work: child labour, labour paid less than minimum wage, labour in an unsafe environment, labour without proper education/certification, child prostitution, etc. They outlaw those forms of work because, not to be too glib, the conditions are judged to be bad for the worker. The expectation is that those who can't get jobs (because the jobs they would be able to get in an unregulated market are illegal) will instead be supported by the rest of society as nonworkers, imo ideally via welfare. Surely, given their awful working conditions, most women working as prostitutes would take advantage of benefits for nonworkers if they were available instead.

The working conditions of prostitution even in fully decriminalised/legalised regimes also tend to be quite poor. I think poor conditions are probably an inherent feature of work where a man pays to sexually dominate you, but they would also arise because legal brothels camouflage organised crime and sex trafficking. So why do countries with strong welfare states still have prostitution? The answer is that they're almost all foreigners subject to deportation. You mention this yourself. Most of the sex workers suffering under the Nordic Model would still be suffering under a more liberal regime because they would still be subject to deportation and unable to protect themselves from exploitation. The educated, native European, 'Marxist' sex workers complaining about having to accept skeevy, low-paying clients are just experiencing what less privileged women are subject to anyway in a regime where there are more johns to go around.

If you accept that prostitution is an undesirable line of work, as you imply by saying the women have no alternative and are 'forced' into it, then deregulating the market simply increases the number of women who can be forced into it, and shifts the most dangerous and undesirable work to those in the most desperate situations while natives snap up the nice rich stable clients.

Taken on their own terms, then, I see these arguments as making a much more direct case for a robust welfare state (obviating the need for 'exit services') and a humane immigration policy, not for increasing demand for prostitution.

Cassian of Imola has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Apr 19, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
oops i bought Revolting Prostitutes instead

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Al! posted:

not for the first time either I bet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Cassian of Imola posted:

not for the first time either I bet

too goony to figure out how to pay for it personally

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Yo, [unintelligible] got any dick?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

lol

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Al! posted:

lol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The authors explicitly state most sex workers would avoid being sex workers if they had other options.

The book has two chapters, one on legalized prostitution, as in the Netherlands, another on decriminalized prostitution, as in New Zealand, examining how these situations affect sex workers as well. Of all the options available under capitalism, the authors argue that the New Zealand model is best for sex workers. Again, after examining in detail, actual conditions for actual sex workers under those conditions they find superior to those of sex workers in actually existing Nordic model countries. They also explicitly state the best option is abolishing capitalism altogether.

The book also in its first section, before examining different legal models in detail, examines sex work first from the perspective of sex, then from the perspective of work, and then from the perspective of borders. This goes into great detail on some of the poo poo you are throwing out. I don't know if the authors of the book are native European or educated. I just checked if they go into it real quick and can't find any info on it. Big assumption from you though.

Another point the book makes, repeatedly, is that people of all stripes have opinions they love to share about sex work, but hardly anyone ever bothers to listen to actual sex workers. So uhh, maybe read the goddamn book?

Anyway, as your neat little conclusion, let me know when you figure out a way to actually institute a robust welfare state and a humane immigration policy and I'll be all ears.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Anyway, as your neat little conclusion, let me know when you figure out a way to actually institute a robust welfare state and a humane immigration policy and I'll be all ears.

I can recommend some books if you'd like

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

'poor children are suffering because homeowners aren't allowed to hire them to sweep chimneys' -a marxist

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Could you go gently caress yourself?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Orange Devil posted:

Sorry, but we have impugned the honor of Sweden and must be destroyed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Sounds like a job-killing proposition.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

After observing this debate on these forums many times over the years, I have come to the conclusion that the strong consensus is it’s really not worth it, it just gets weird fast

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

That's what you get for debating someone with a Phyllis Schlafly av, OP.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

After observing this debate on these forums many times over the years, I have come to the conclusion that the strong consensus is it’s really not worth it, it just gets weird fast

it's like how nobody in Japan wants to be the politician that backs the "uncensor porn" cause

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's like how nobody in Japan wants to be the politician that backs the "uncensor porn" cause

Goon project

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Horseshoe theory posted:

That's what you get for debating someone with a Phyllis Schlafly av, OP.

every post I see next to one of these midbernies is white noise

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I was just watching Zodiac (2007), and read up on the suspect Arthur Leigh Allen. I have uncovered evidence relevant to the sex work discussion ITT:

https://www.zodiackiller.com/AllenFile.html

quote:

According to statements to police by family and friends, prior to the publication of Zodiac's codes, Allen had possession of codes featuring identical symbols. Additionally, Allen was known to use the same unusual spelling and phrasing as Zodiac later used, such as spelling "Mery Xmass" instead of Merry Xmas and saying "trigger mech" instead of trigger mechanism. Allen would intentionally misspell words to be funny.
In a 1969 letter, Zodiac used the term "bussy work,"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Al! posted:

What a revolting development

(Which is the book I bought)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cassian of Imola posted:

If you accept that prostitution is an undesirable line of work, as you imply by saying the women have no alternative and are 'forced' into it, then deregulating the market simply increases the number of women who can be forced into it, and shifts the most dangerous and undesirable work to those in the most desperate situations while natives snap up the nice rich stable clients.

I think the point is that the supply is an inflexible number married to general economic conditions. Therefore whether prostitution is legalized, decriminalization, or fully illegal doesn't affect it. Like any vice really.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zodiac deserved to get away with it if he came up with bussy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

has any government ever set up its own brothels and paid prostitutes a standard and decent wage?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

in ancient Sumeria yeah

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
temple prostitution was a source of many a goof and hijink for roman patricians

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I think the point is that the supply is an inflexible number married to general economic conditions. Therefore whether prostitution is legalized, decriminalization, or fully illegal doesn't affect it. Like any vice really.

That was kind of a throwaway line, just making the facile point (which orange devil also makes) that there can't be prostitution without johns to pay for it, i.e. reducing demand reduces the total money that can be made in the prostitution market

My general argument, though, is that your 'economic conditions' have to factor in the conditions of the labour market. If the state offers nonworker benefits such that people who don't have decent jobs don't have to work as prostitutes, then the supply of sex workers engaged in prostitution will be very low

A robust welfare state solves the problems posed by Orange Devil — that is, prostitutes make less money and have to accept worse clients under the Nordic Model — in two ways: (1) women aren't forced into prostitution by economic conditions to begin with, and (2) those that do engage in prostitution can charge higher rates and be pickier about clients because they aren't threatened with homelessness/starvation. This is the bog standard argument for welfare in general btw: it keeps nonworkers out of poverty and gives workers more power to combat exploitation. I was surprised to see cspam poster Orange Devil acting like they've never heard of it before and it's some unworkable utopian idea I just came up with

The main beneficiaries of decriminalising johns, otoh, are the johns themselves, the minority of prostitutes who make money only for themselves, and traffickers. People who are coerced into prostitution under threat of deportation (or whatever else) will not see any benefit; not only that, but a massive increase in demand will make trafficking more lucrative and easier to camouflage

In other words, there are better solutions to the problems that decriminalisation purports to solve, which benefit people who might want to continue in sex work and offer an escape to those who don't

Cassian of Imola has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Apr 19, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

euphronius posted:

in ancient Sumeria yeah

did they have good working conditions? non-onerous hours?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Shageletic posted:

it does though, the vast majority of the stuff related to prostitution that causes long term harm isn't actually the prostitution itself - its being assaulted robbed raped killed & getting involved with organized crime/drug use
like it's still not good but it's totally different levels of inhumanity/suffering/coercion etc

criminality all congregates
anything and everything you make illegal, you are gifting to one industry of people & the intersection of those combinations of criminal interests are where the really societally poisonous stuff grows the status quo legit empowers organized crime, it doesn't just fail to negate it

imo gradenkos take is right, under capitalism prostitution illegal just means it can freely mix with other things that are illegal and the most vulnerable people can be exploited the most with the least possible recourse

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

did they have good working conditions? non-onerous hours?

this was before capitalism so … probably ?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

euphronius posted:

this was before capitalism so … probably ?

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Prostitution is a lot like drugs; prohibition plainly doesn't work especially when all you need to supply is to have a body, and all it serves is to provide countless vectors for legal discrimination and organised crime to thrive.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

has any government ever set up its own brothels and paid prostitutes a standard and decent wage?

the Turkish government runs the brothels there. I don't think the pay or conditions are good, but there is insurance and people who will beat up problematic clients.

e: apparently they've been indefinitely shuttered since the pandemic. we have lost so much to corona...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Prostitution is a lot like drugs; prohibition plainly doesn't work especially when all you need to supply is to have a body

Yes, prostitution is much like whiskey or black tar heroin in that all women can fulfil customer demand from their own bodies

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)