Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Josh Lyman posted:

I know it's only 1R but no good matches tomorrow.

Cilic v Kohlschreiber is probably the pick of the day, but Dustin Brown's also playing and he's generally worth watching, especially on grass. And Petra's playing tomorrow. Also Azarenka v Bellis and Lisicki v Konjuh could be interesting. Maybe my standards are low. :shrug:

I noticed Sloane Stephens is back, that's nice. I always liked her tennis but it feels like she's been out forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I find it almost inconceivable that Federer could win #19 so soon after 18 when that one took four and a half years. But yeah he just might.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Jack's Flow posted:

Kyrgios always reminds me of a really tall basketball player who doesn't give a poo poo about the game, but plays it anyway because he happens to be good at it.

Yeah. I think Tomic and Kyrgios don't enjoy their job, but they're too good at it and make too much money doing it to feel comfortable quitting, and this is exacerbated by years and years of outside pressure (either from family, colleagues or fans). So they feel trapped by their own talent in a way and end up resenting the sport even more. I have some empathy for their situation, even though they are, objectively speaking, privileged to be playing tennis for a living (no doubt hearing people say this about them will just make them even more resentful since they hate it), and far richer already than most of us will ever be.

Meanwhile, there are lots of bugs at Wimbledon today.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This 4th set is a bit nuts.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Djoko/Gulbis next on Centre and I really hope Ernie shows up. If he does it could be real good.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Quality set from Muller.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

If Rafa goes out here Cilic is almost a lock for the final from that half. He should be able to beat Murray on current form.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm only surprised the crowd's rooting for Nadal because they would usually be cheering for the underdog, and despite his recent history at Wimbledon there's no way Nadal is the underdog here.

edit: Unless it's Federer or a Brit playing, at least.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

What a hold, christ.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm impressed Muller's stayed so positive for so long. You'd think he'd collapse under the crushing disappointment of getting so close in so many of Nadal's service games without converting. He's in pretty much every one of them.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I like the Guardian's description of that last point:

quote:

During the final rally, one of the thousands of morons in the crowd at Centre Court each day unleashed a shrill, piercing scream that prompted Simona Halep to stop playing. She lost the point, but didn’t make a big deal of it.

Halep should've played to the whistle, but that's a garbage thing to do and an unfortunate ending to a good match. Probably a Konta/Muguruza final then? I didn't think Venus was that impressive today, served herself out of trouble when she needed to and let Ostapenko error herself out of the tournament. Konta's steadier in the rallies than Ostapenko and will force Venus to run and play some extra shots. And she has a very good serve as well, plus the crowd factor.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

He could've won this in three if he hadn't choked away that second set, was playing well up to that point. I guess he's hobbled by the hip injury now.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

nachos posted:

I hope so because I'm going to be real mad if he loses again to Djokovic late in another major

It's probably better for him to play Djokovic in the semis rather than the final in that sense... I thought he was visibly nervous in those two finals in 2015. Although I imagine winning in Australia this year has probably taken a lot of that pressure off either way.

edit: Raonic is getting schooled.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 12, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Goodness, if Federer doesn't win this now...

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I think he'll be extra vigilant today considering Berdych had match point on him in Miami. Federer in three and Cilic in four.

edit: Querrey actually looks a lot more comfortable than Cilic.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 14, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Maybe not.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Bit scruffy/nervy from Federer today, probably his worst match of the tournament? But even if he doesn't up his level for the final, which he probably will, I think it should be enough against Cilic, just about.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Venus v Muguruza about to start under the roof. Not confident predicting this one, feels pretty 50/50. I'll be surprised if it doesn't go three.

edit: that sure is a massive patch of dirt.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 15, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Really good performance from Muguruza.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Was that was a deliberate burn on Sumyk? "Here it is" + "I want to thank my team who are here". Maybe she should roll with Martinez full-time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm not usually confident in Federer winning the big matches but this time around for whatever reason I just can't see him losing, even though Cilic actually has a pretty good chance.

Federer in three. Four if he gets nervous for a while or if that cold he's been carrying has gotten worse.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Shades of Lisicki in 2013... he hasn't look injured, I don't think?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The women's final was better. I'm sad for Cilic that he couldn't bring it today.

Congrats Federer.

• Locked thread