Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I have a copy of Le Morte d'Arthur that a friend of mine gave me for my birthday earlier this month and a bunch of technical manuals on military tactics that I scavenged from a dead scientists library. I believe those are the only books I own that I haven't actually read.

No, wait. I own a copy of "The Song Of Roland" and I haven't read that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Harald posted:

You should read the Song of Roland if you want to understand contemporary european politics
I'm more interested in understanding the European politics of antiquity. The modern day is too tragi-comic for me.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

im fascinated by roman lore. like their spells and stuff
That's not easy information to track down, what's a good primary source? Have you read The Golden rear end? Can you tell me how to turn a man into a donkey?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

i could,but wont
a Haitian man told me once that if you bury a dogs skull under someones house you can curse them to have nightmares but that it's necessary that you kill the dog yourself.

He also instructed me in other Voudon mysteries but I choose not to share them with you.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

a lot of rich haitains probably hired help to do it and the slave lying with their wife was left uncursed. its a good requirement for the success of the curse/hex. i never told u any roman spells. and i wont. u offered one up without me giving u anyhing in return or beforehand, like its a quid pro quo with out the quid or whatever my side of it is
I didn't expect anything I just thought you'd enjoy that.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

i had a dream i was cursed the other night. a woman gave me a small human being that struggled really violently in my hands then disppeared, cursing me
That is worrying. My dreams are so pedestrian in comparison. Last night I had a dream that implied that cocaine and by extension drugs in general were my only respite from my cowardly heart. I was cursed by a needle some years ago and even if I have won the battle in my waking life, for now, in my dreams it still taunts me. It whispers to me 'You know the truth, Jim, you know that it's a coward that lives inside you and I was all that gave you courage'. It wishes to see me miserable then broken and then, finally, in a grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Burroughs viewed the opiate as a sentient mystical force that acted with malice. It desires total and complete stasis according to him. I'm inclined to agree.

• Locked thread