Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
You know the more I think about the more I really hate the ending of AD by Snyder and Lemire. I thought that the first 2 books were excellent, and I thought it was some of Snyder's best writing ever, but the ending is just balls and rips off so many other works of fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Joss Whedon Much Ado used to be on a Shakespeare & Film gen ed I taught a few times, but it was taken off because students almost universally loathed it. I agree that Nathan Filion is very funny in it, though, and I think Riki Lindhome does a good job of mirroring how deeply uninvested in it the audience is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hopefully it was replaced by Taymor Titus to traumatise everyone.

We saw Polanski Macbeth in high school :cool:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 28, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Schwarzenegger Hamlet deserves wider recognition than it gets.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I tried watching Riverdale the other night and couldn't get through the first episode with how trashy it was.

I mean, implied twincest, Archie loving Miss Grundy in a car, Betty and Veronica making out...all in the first 40 minutes of the first episode!

Does it represent the current state of the comics or is it just a weird take on the material?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It's definitely not the comics, just some edgelords that sold a pitch to the CW which laps up that poo poo. The CW is to AMC what AMC is to HBO/Starz.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who hasn't watched TV for teens in a while, Riverdale reminds me very much of the OC. Which was great.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Trashy teens solving a murder mystery is supremely my poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Autism Sneaks posted:

It's definitely not the comics, just some edgelords that sold a pitch to the CW which laps up that poo poo. The CW is to AMC what AMC is to HBO/Starz.

The "some edgelord" that created the show and is the showrunner is also the Chief Creative Officer of Archie Comics and has written one of the best Archie books ever even if it only comes out like once a year.

Also the show is loving great.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Archyduke posted:

The Joss Whedon Much Ado used to be on a Shakespeare & Film gen ed I taught a few times, but it was taken off because students almost universally loathed it. I agree that Nathan Filion is very funny in it, though, and I think Riki Lindhome does a good job of mirroring how deeply uninvested in it the audience is.

It. an still be used as example how not to do black & white movies.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

X-O posted:

The "some edgelord" that created the show and is the showrunner is also the Chief Creative Officer of Archie Comics and has written one of the best Archie books ever even if it only comes out like once a year.

Also the show is loving great.

I'm well aware of who Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is and his body of work, which speaks for itself. While I can see the appeal one would have in his shock melodrama aesthete, I can't say I share the enthusiasm.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Seems somewhat divisive, but if I enjoy the placid nostalgia of old Archie comics, Riverdale doesn't sound like the show for me! At least my appraisal of its trashiness wasn't ill-informed, just some see that as a strength.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm well aware of who Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is and his body of work, which speaks for itself. While I can see the appeal one would have in his shock melodrama aesthete, I can't say I share the enthusiasm.

lol

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

A Strange Aeon posted:

Seems somewhat divisive, but if I enjoy the placid nostalgia of old Archie comics, Riverdale doesn't sound like the show for me! At least my appraisal of its trashiness wasn't ill-informed, just some see that as a strength.

You may be interested in Mark Waid's ongoing run on Archie (23 issues out so far, I believe), which is a really good modern take on the familiar Archie tone. If you want a less trashy serious Archie comic, check out the horror series Afterlife With Archie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I tried watching Riverdale the other night and couldn't get through the first episode with how trashy it was.

I mean, implied twincest, Archie loving Miss Grundy in a car, Betty and Veronica making out...all in the first 40 minutes of the first episode!

Does it represent the current state of the comics or is it just a weird take on the material?

Everything you're complaining about is why the show is awesome, except the Miss Grundy poo poo, that was boring and annoying, but thankfully gone by episode 4 I think?

My favorite episode is probably the one with "the very special message" about slut shaming where Betty goes full on Sybil.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's fair. My wife and I ate that show up. I loved seeing how messed up they made all the parents. Also I felt ti maintained a really good pace throughout and did a great job mixing "creepy town backstory" with the typical trashy teen genre and an actual ongoing plot that didn't get lost too badly.

My fear is that with season 2 being twice as long they might lose the pacing. And also they underutilized Reggie and the actor moved on.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Hello I am new to buying comics and I picked up the new Robotech yesterday and I liked it. Did anyone else?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You're tainted now.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

ZentraediElite posted:

Hello I am new to buying comics and I picked up the new Robotech yesterday and I liked it. Did anyone else?

Is it still just terrible Macross Fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You've been waiting 5 years for something not good. :v:

• Locked thread