Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You'll know Richard Starkings and Tom Frame if you've read any British comics from the 80s. Those guys monopolised everything published by Fleetway between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

John Costanza (no relation) is pretty cool, he lettered Kirby's Fourth World comics, Dark Knight Returns and Moore and Bissette's Swamp Thing among lots of other iconic comics.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You should deffo start to recognize John Workman. Look at any Simonson Thor.
Dude still works on the current Batman and Mother Panic.

I dig his M's.

But did Workman do the amazing onomatopoeia or was that Simonson himself?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

But did Workman do the amazing onomatopoeia or was that Simonson himself?

Letterers do the onomatopoeia, yeah.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Big KATHOOMs in Tom King's Batman is what clued me in.

edit: I'm guessing King told him to just whip out the Thor-type fonts, no matter the incongruity.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 23, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you know one letterer by name, let it be Tom Orzechowski

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. Big KATHOOMs in Tom King's Batman is what clued me in.

edit: I'm guessing King told him to just whip out the Thor-type fonts, no matter the incongruity.

I bet Batman would love hanging out in Asgard.

*prays to the many-angled ones to speed the inevitable Warner/Disney merger*

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can everyone who posted a letterer post an example of their work (if you haven't)? I'd love to see a bunch of distinctive lettering work side by side.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can everyone who posted a letterer post an example of their work (if you haven't)? I'd love to see a bunch of distinctive lettering work side by side.
I always remembered Gaspar! as a kid buying back issues because his name was just GASPAR! but he did a huge amount of DC covers and logos and just regular ol' lettering for DC from the Go Go Checks era through Ambush Bug through Arkham Asylum. Todd Klein himself calls Gaspar his "inspiration" in a pretty extensive memorial retrospective.

The previously mentioned Richard Starkings founded Comicraft about 25 years ago, it's pretty cool to browse through their online store of fonts; there are several based on the hand-written fonts of creators like Dave Gibbons and Joe Kubert, not to mention Starkings's pre-digital work on various books.

Are you interested primarily in people whose main gig is "lettering" as opposed to cartoonists with distinct styles? Because at that level it almost comes down to handwriting, but there are still some people with cool handwriting.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Edge & Christian posted:

I always remembered Gaspar! as a kid buying back issues because his name was just GASPAR! but he did a huge amount of DC covers and logos and just regular ol' lettering for DC from the Go Go Checks era through Ambush Bug through Arkham Asylum. Todd Klein himself calls Gaspar his "inspiration" in a pretty extensive memorial retrospective.

The previously mentioned Richard Starkings founded Comicraft about 25 years ago, it's pretty cool to browse through their online store of fonts; there are several based on the hand-written fonts of creators like Dave Gibbons and Joe Kubert, not to mention Starkings's pre-digital work on various books.

Are you interested primarily in people whose main gig is "lettering" as opposed to cartoonists with distinct styles? Because at that level it almost comes down to handwriting, but there are still some people with cool handwriting.

I guess just how does a letterer win an Eisner each year? What are they winning it for, exactly? I can see how an artist or writer creates something the industry wants to reward, but lettering doesn't strike me as an artistic craft exactly. So I feel like I'm missing something.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

I guess just how does a letterer win an Eisner each year? What are they winning it for, exactly? I can see how an artist or writer creates something the industry wants to reward, but lettering doesn't strike me as an artistic craft exactly. So I feel like I'm missing something.

They get an Eisner because their craft is essential to the aesthetics of the medium, as well as ease of reading. Without them every comic would look as awful and be hard to read as Order of the Stick, where the loghorreic walls of text are rendered in comic sans

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 23, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

A Strange Aeon posted:

A dirty secret: I don't know if a lot of voters know either. I think in a lot of cases lettering (like design) should be 99% invisible and just effectively propel what all of the other creators involved are doing.

Todd Klein won the Eisner for lettering 15 out of the first 16 years, and is the only non-cartoonist to win it as near as I can tell. Klein is very good at lettering (and has designed a lot of iconic logos, put in a lot of work to letter in multiple distinctive fonts in the 1980s before computer lettering was a thing) but there is/was also probably a halo effect that Todd Klein appeared on the ballot with the names of all of the Gaiman/Moore/etc. books people were already voting for in the other categories, so why not pick those books on the next line too?

Since 2009 (except in 2011, when Todd Klein won again!) the Better Lettering has gone to cartoonists who absolutely did things with text in their comics to set them apart from other comics.

Chris Ware is a two-time winner for lettering, which is part and parcel of his wins for "best publication design" too, this isn't a master example of his work but it's one of the first text-heavy pieces I found online.

David Mazzucchelli's Asterios Polyp is another Eisner winner for lettering and another example of how lettering can be an artistic craft, with every character having a distinct font on top of having a different art/coloring style for anything in their point of view.

Another two-time winner is Stan Sakai for his own lettering of Usagi Yojimbo, which isn't showy (and is in part a halo effect of people just liking Sakai's entirely self-produced book) but here's a good article about it and the strength of good lettering in general.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lightning Lord posted:

They get an Eisner because their craft is essential to the aesthetics of the medium. Without them every comic would look as awful as Order of the Stick, where the loghorreic walls of text are rendered in comic sans

Look at sandman where every Endless has a different font that helps with their personality

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Saga's lettering also deserves a lot credit for creating narration that isn't just cluttered text boxes and both compliments and sometimes elevates the art.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

Letterers do the onomatopoeia, yeah.
*Generally* this is the case, but it's not a 100% thing. If the onomatopoeia is integrated into the art, the penciller will do that. I'd guess that Simonson did some of the work in Thor.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Ken Bruzenak is another letterer from the 1970s/1980s who deserves attention, his Big Two work tended towards being on forgotten books for Marvel in the 1980s and DC in the 1990s, but prior to that he did distinct and unique treatments for a lot of the darlings of the 1980s indie scene, from Mr. Monster to Nexus to American Flagg, which is another great example of 'lettering as design' from Bruzenak, experimental layouts from Chaykin, and just generally an underrated influence on much bigger names and books that came after. The whole "TV monitors as Greek Chorus" thing that people have endlessly ripped off from The Dark Knight Returns was a self-professed American Flagg rip off.

Bruzenak won the Best Letterer three years in a row when the Harvey Awards started before they (less severely) fell into a Todd Klein k-hole. He's still one of the only non-cartoonist letterers (besides the aforementioned Tom Orzechowski and John Workman, and I guess technically Chris Eliopoulos, who is a cartoonist who also letters for other people) to win the award. Other cartoonists to win the Harvey, with their own distinctive use of dialogue/sfx/captions include Daniel Clowes, Terry Moore, and the Even More Problematic But Also Even More Brilliant Than Howard Chaykin winner, Dave Sim.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

Clayton Cowles made an Ask/Tell thread a few years ago about comic lettering; it had some interesting details and anecdotes. It's even on the live forums still: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736698&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stephen Amell from that tv show "Hawkeye" did something pretty great at comic-con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9aZJpIixJE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We don't deserve that man.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Amell is too good for us.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
We need more of that dude.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

Stephen Amell from that tv show "Hawkeye" did something pretty great at comic-con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9aZJpIixJE

(only possible reaction)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

mrchoupon posted:

Clayton Cowles made an Ask/Tell thread a few years ago about comic lettering; it had some interesting details and anecdotes. It's even on the live forums still: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736698&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This was informative and cool!

Thanks everyone for all the lettering info--was something I always had questions about!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Edit: made a mistake. Nm

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
A friend of mine got a gig doing art for a small press, one of those outfits that's producing a comic as a pitch document for Hollywood. (I know, and so does she, but money's money.) I've seen some of the finished pages, and the lettering was done by someone who obviously did not know what they were doing. The font choice, the balloon placement, I think even the kerning just looked like a mess. I don't have examples to show, but it definitely makes a difference.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I have been listening to a book on Audible called "Professor Moriarty and the Hound of the D'Aubervilles."
It follows the criminal exploits of Professor James Moriarty and Cnl. Sebastian Moran. It is basically the Earth-3 version of a Sherlock Holmes story (Moriarty breeds wasps, like how Holmes breeds bees.)
But it is very enjoyable. And it's full of references to other pop culture people like the Lone Ranger and Fu-Manchu.

But I came across a really surprising one.
One of the chapters opens with a British officer hiring the duo and paying with a massive emerald. When they ask him how he got it he tells them he pulled it from an idol north of Kathmandu.

At that point Morane goes into a tangent about how you never mess with gems on idols as they are always more trouble than they are worth. And he lists a bunch of cursed jewels.

"The Moonstone, the eye of Klesh, the All seeing eye of the Goddess of Light, the Crimson Gem of Cytorak and the Pink Diamond of Logash."

Now of the I know the Eye of Klesh is from a HP Lovecraft story. And the Moonstone and gem of Cytorak as from Marvel comics. I can't place the other two but I also figure they are references.

Still it was really cool to hear it name dropped like that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The last one is The Pink Panther.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

So I have been listening to a book on Audible called "Professor Moriarty and the Hound of the D'Aubervilles."

Kim Newman is a huge Marvel fan and credits two things as setting him on the path to becoming a writer: the first is sitting up late to watch the Béla Lugosi Dracula movie when he was a kid; the second is his grandmother buying him a Marvel comic.

I think that book's great. I love the Legion of Late Victorian Super-Villains assembled by Moriarty in the last story.

It's loosely set in the same continuity as Newman's Diogenes Club stories, which I recommend if you can get hold of them, as is a similar novel called Angels of Music, which is Charlie's Angels in Paris during La Belle Époque, in which the Angels are (initially) Christine Daae, Trilby O'Farrell and Irene Adler and Charlie is the Phantom of the Opera.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Newman also dresses like Doc Holiday in every picture I've ever seen of him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Technically the Moostone predates Marvel by like 100 odd years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Newman also dresses like Doc Holiday in every picture I've ever seen of him.

I believe he also used to carry a cane with a sword in it.

I'm not sure if he beats Alan Moore for obscure metatextual references but he comes close if he doesn't.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 26, 2017

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/889505454409236481

Tom King is very funny on twitter y'all need to get on that follow

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love the superhero toy match-ups his "children" make.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/886015834480668673

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Oh poo poo, Bad Horse!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Oh poo poo, Bad Horse!

Dr Horrible is the best thing Joss Whedon's done since season three of Buffy, and also the last good thing he's ever done.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

Dr Horrible is the best thing Joss Whedon's done since season three of Buffy, and also the last good thing he's ever done.

What about Much Ado About Nothing?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What about Much Ado About Nothing?

The only positive to that is that it functions as an easily accessible way to tell first-timers "you need to consider color when making anything black and white". That film is a visual debacle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

The only positive to that is that it functions as an easily accessible way to tell first-timers "you need to consider color when making anything black and white". That film is a visual debacle.

Fillion playing Dogberry as a Caruso-esque TV cop parody is really funny, tho?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Gaz-L posted:

Fillion playing Dogberry as a Caruso-esque TV cop parody is really funny, tho?

I'm glad someone else agrees that Fillion is the beautiful gem in that turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandallODim posted:

I'm glad someone else agrees that Fillion is the beautiful gem in that turd.

:ssh: I actually really like the film as a whole and think almost all of the cast does good performances. Double :ssh: I kinda think Amy Acker's Beatrice is better than Emma Thompson's

Nathan Fillion delivering "Let us examination these men" and donning a pair of shades like it's the loving CSI Miami cold open is just hysterical, however.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 27, 2017

• Locked thread