Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Larry Hama is still writing the original GI Joe series today, only through IDW and not Marvel. I've only ever heard great things about his GI Joe stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

X-O posted:

I think Larry Hama is still writing the original GI Joe series today, only through IDW and not Marvel. I've only ever heard great things about his GI Joe stuff.

I don't suppose the Marvel GI Joe stuff from the 80s is on Marvel Unlimited? The IDW reissue trades are like 20 bucks each and there's at least 16 of them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't suppose the Marvel GI Joe stuff from the 80s is on Marvel Unlimited? The IDW reissue trades are like 20 bucks each and there's at least 16 of them.

I think they can't because they don't have the rights for them. Same for ROM, Transformers, and Godzilla.

I do find it funny though because some of the X-Men issues from that era mention Monster Island and that Rogue had contact with ROM.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah IDW owns the rights to all the GI Joe stuff now. Maybe some of it is on Comixology Unlimited? Though I doubt much if it is since that service really doesn't get you that much.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If any of you have access to Hoopla through your public libraries, they include a few of the Classic G.I. Joe TPBs from IDW. Everything is in e-book format, and your library will dictate how many checkouts you get per month. (Mine gives us four.) They have a good selection from DC, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, Valiant, and a few no-name indies, but the IDW selection is spotty. Ours has Classic G.I. Joe volumes 1, 2, and 4, but that's still a nice way to get started reading them. Like I said, the first 10-20 issues are slow and kind of generic, but they really get good when they get into the Cobra politics, the origin of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, the Joes who served together on a long-range recon patrol in Vietnam, etc.

What's really interesting is that the series could have been a straight-ahead, rah-rah, gung-ho (no pun intended), "America, gently caress yeah!" jingoistic pep rally, but a lot of Hama's writing was actually critical, or at least satirical, of the military and the "might makes right" ethos of the '80s. While the cartoon was always a straight-ahead toy commercial, Hama did his best to balance introducing new characters (toys) when he had to, but continue to develop and focus on his favorites.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They're sort of the perfect thing to find at a Half Price Books or something, but I've never seen GI Joe stuff there. Or if I do, it's some trade from a few years ago, not the classic stuff.

Speaking of IDW, I did find a cool deluxe hardcover compilation of the early TMNT stuff--I've never read it, but I think it's the original issues from 1984. I'm kind of excited to read it, just to see what the idea was that sprouted such a massive franchise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something Larry Hama related that is on MU is The 'Nam, which he edited (what with being a vet himself.) Although they only have the first 20 issues on there, they're pretty good.

An interesting thing they did is that things happened in "real" time where in between issues a month would pass. This leads to stuff like the "main" character rotating out after 12 issues as a tour was one year. Since it was a CCA book they had to write around some stuff like swearing, hard drugs and sex but its still real as poo poo.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Huh, it's so seldom this happens anymore but I took a look on ebay and found someone selling a lot of the first 5 GI Joe trades for around 50 bucks. Since every other listing I saw was 1 trade for $25, I jumped on it.

That's like the first 50 issues, so should give me a good idea if I want to track down the other 11 trades!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Huh, it's so seldom this happens anymore but I took a look on ebay and found someone selling a lot of the first 5 GI Joe trades for around 50 bucks. Since every other listing I saw was 1 trade for $25, I jumped on it.

That's like the first 50 issues, so should give me a good idea if I want to track down the other 11 trades!

By #50, you'll either love it or...nah, you'll probably love it.

Were those IDW editions, or Marvel? Marvel released the first five Classic G.I. Joe TPBs before losing the rights to IDW, and then IDW reprinted them and continued the series.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

By #50, you'll either love it or...nah, you'll probably love it.

Were those IDW editions, or Marvel? Marvel released the first five Classic G.I. Joe TPBs before losing the rights to IDW, and then IDW reprinted them and continued the series.

Hmm, I can't actually tell from the picture--maybe you can? I think that link should go to the completed listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162567726671

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Hmm, I can't actually tell from the picture--maybe you can? I think that link should go to the completed listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162567726671

Almost positive they're IDW, just from the bit of the one spine I can make out. That's nice. If you decide to track down the rest later, at least they'll all match on your bookshelf.

(I get a little OCD about such things!)

But that's a great deal. Congrats!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Just bought the new volume of Empowered and discovered when I went to reread the last that an ex stole it on her way out of town.

Guess I'll just go into this one off memory, then. God damnit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Don't get anything on Comixology till there's a sale. GI Joe or IDW line-wide tends to get discounted there a few times a year.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 3, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'd also like to see a universe where Peter Parker replaces Jimmy Olsen as the Daily Planet photographer.

This happened very briefly during Marvel Vs. DC. I can try to post panels tonight once I get off work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

purple death ray posted:

This happened very briefly during Marvel Vs. DC. I can try to post panels tonight once I get off work.

Wasn't Ben Reilly Spider-Man at the time though? He fought Superboy (the cloned one from Death and Return of Superman) and Tim Drake Robin made out with Jubilee after tying her down.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't Ben Reilly Spider-Man at the time though? He fought Superboy (the cloned one from Death and Return of Superman) and Tim Drake Robin made out with Jubilee after tying her down.

You don't have to mention that last part in every single goddamn conversation you have, Skwirl. :whitewater:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Hey I made a small game based on a recent Squirrel Girl cover if anyone would like to try it! (or try remixing it)

Play here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/167606070/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

D*reen

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Roth posted:

I do find it funny though because some of the X-Men issues from that era mention Monster Island and that Rogue had contact with ROM.
Monster Island/Isle is also the name of the Mole Man's island full of Mole Man monsters, as named in Fantastic Four #1, several years before the Godzilla movies introduced it. That's almost definitely the one referenced in 1980s X-Men, seeing as Marvel only had the Godzilla rights from 1977-1980, and never really used any other Toho monsters in the comic (there were some super offbrand ones like a giant moth named Lepirax that showed up for an issue and got killed by Godzilla). Monster Island (the Marvel one) was also the home of Warlock and the Infinity Watch during the 1990s.

Also part of why the Hama GI Joe comics are a cut above pretty much every other media tie-in: Larry Hama more or less created Modern GI Joe. Hama had pitched a modernized SHIELD comic with Nick Fury Jr. fighting a revived Hydra, and while editorial passed, they got a request from Hasbro about a year later to work on a GI Joe comic to launch in conjunction with the toy line. Hama got the call and more or less retrofitted his pitch to the existing toys Hasbro was working on, and then proceeded to write all of the "file cards" and copy for the toy line along with writing the book. He brought the idea of having "Cobra" instead of 'random terrorists' from that pitch, and had a hand in creating everyone else. Plus because of this interaction he had a pretty good idea of what new toys they were planning on launching and how to fold them into his story, as opposed to just waking up one day and being told "yeah so uh Transformers have separate heads that are different Transformers now, and there is a lady Transformer put her in the next issue" or whatever happens with those other franchises.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Southern Canada Day, US goons!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've had no real opportunity to post this, so here's to happy 21st Independence Day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/882266780932157440

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

I've had no real opportunity to post this, so here's to happy 21st Independence Day.

Cap doesn't even know how to arm wrestle properly. Stallone is a true American hero

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Cap doesn't even know how to arm wrestle properly. Stallone is a true American hero

Stallone has nothing in Guy Gardner

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

]

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Madkal posted:

That statement is a little over the top.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lmbo my LGS was closed for the 4th and their notice sign was a Photoshop of the panel where Cap goes "Hail Hydra"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I want someone in the crowd yelling, "I feel like this is a more nuanced issue!"

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Oh my god, "party time"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are the loving worst, and I'm going to post about this every time someone mentions them in a thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

techknight posted:

Hey I made a small game based on a recent Squirrel Girl cover if anyone would like to try it! (or try remixing it)

Play here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/167606070/

Did you show this to Ryan and Erica? They would love it, for real.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Did they do the Hickman Avengers Omni right?

Also what's up everyone comics seem bad right now

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Senor Candle posted:

Did they do the Hickman Avengers Omni right?

Also what's up everyone comics seem bad right now

Just read older, better comics.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Just read older, better comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comics are actually very good right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Actually nothing has ever been good

• Locked thread