Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senor Candle posted:

Did they do the Hickman Avengers Omni right?

Also what's up everyone comics seem bad right now

They're all right, at least Hickman isn't on Avengers anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Comics are fine (or as fine as they've ever been, probably better in many ways), but the conversations around them have certainly gone to poo poo when you realize the percentage of people talking about them haven't read them nor are willing to read anything over about three hundred words at the absolute uppermost limit*

*offer does not apply if it's a *thread* or a twine essay called pssssst hey comics come here and eat poo poo you pieces of poo poo assholes

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 6, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old man yells at cloud.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I also feel like there are less super hot active series right now. Deff not as many as there were a year or two years ago

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

They're all right, at least Hickman isn't on Avengers anymore.

:bahgawd:

I stopped preordering a few months back due to money/other reasons and have also turned in a bunch of books to half priced books. I decided that instead of buying more bookshelves I'll just get rid of books until they fit on what I have.

Also by a few months ago I mean right before Secret Empire got solicited so it's probably been a lot longer than I think.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Old man yells at cloud.
Shitposter can't read

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Shitposter can't read

Yes we can

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Shitposter can't read

That's why we keep the word counts low for you ;)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Seriously though I need to know if they put he issues in a reasonable reading order in the Hickman Avengers Omni

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

Seriously though I need to know if they put he issues in a reasonable reading order in the Hickman Avengers Omni
It doesn't come out until later this month but it contains the first year (Avengers 1-23, New Avengers 1-12) of the core series, along with the Infinity mini-series and Hickman-written satellite stories. I'm going to assume they're put in the story order Hickman intended and mapped out with charts, since I know they did that for the smaller collections of his run previously released (at least they did for Time Runs Out).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Comics are fine (or as fine as they've ever been, probably better in many ways), but the conversations around them have certainly gone to poo poo when you realize the percentage of people talking about them haven't read them nor are willing to read anything over about three hundred words at the absolute uppermost limit*

I miss Plok's "A Trout in the Milk".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

It doesn't come out until later this month but it contains the first year (Avengers 1-23, New Avengers 1-12) of the core series, along with the Infinity mini-series and Hickman-written satellite stories. I'm going to assume they're put in the story order Hickman intended and mapped out with charts, since I know they did that for the smaller collections of his run previously released (at least they did for Time Runs Out).

The previous TPBs didn't do this, and Avengers and New Avengers were split. Additionally, the Infinity TPB didn't include the A/NA issues, though the omnibus did. Presumably, if they're issuing new omnibu, they're putting them in the correct order. It would be unusual if they didn't, considering the Hickman F4 books did so.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Edge & Christian posted:

The omni came out this week, IST has it for 50% off. I don't know if emailing them about content would be a fruitful path but I've never tried and presumably they are more comic book store oriented than most.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Zachack posted:

The omni came out this week, IST has it for 50% off. I don't know if emailing them about content would be a fruitful path but I've never tried and presumably they are more comic book store oriented than most.
Huh, Amazon and some other places have it coming out July 18. I didn't see it at the shop I dropped into yesterday either, but I suppose it's not shocking that you don't order a lot of shelf copies of a $125 book.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Riverdale is the nexus of realities that joins Marvel, DC, Glee, Sharknado, and the Predators together.

Consequently, it follows that they share a universe with the Flintstones and Elmer Fudd.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Huh, Amazon and some other places have it coming out July 18. I didn't see it at the shop I dropped into yesterday either, but I suppose it's not shocking that you don't order a lot of shelf copies of a $125 book.
Amazon and other non-comic retailers use a distributor other than Diamond which is always a few weeks behind. And yeah, your local store just probably isn't ordering many or any $125 books short of special orders.

Unrelated, Alex de Campi is tweeting about an unnamed publisher inviting her to a retreat, but being unwilling to pay for her child (she's a single mother), and threatening to remove her from the as-yet unreleased book if she doesn't at least teleconference in to the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/status/882651634018463744

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

Amazon and other non-comic retailers use a distributor other than Diamond which is always a few weeks behind. And yeah, your local store just probably isn't ordering many or any $125 books short of special orders.

Unrelated, Alex de Campi is tweeting about an unnamed publisher inviting her to a retreat, but being unwilling to pay for her child (she's a single mother), and threatening to remove her from the as-yet unreleased book if she doesn't at least teleconference in to the whole thing.

Ugh, I just read that. The thing is also for this weekend, apparently and she just got notified.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Endless Mike posted:

Any guesses as to what publisher this is? Refusing to pay for the child is one thing, but expecting her to conform to a schedule she's informed of three days in advance (and threatening to terminate her if she doesn't) is amazingly scummy and unprofessional. This can't be the modus operandi of a major publisher, right?

Right? :ohdear:

(Not to say that it's not awful behaviour and a really terrible situation regardless, because it is.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Jesus gently caress, they're kicking her off a book because they won't pay for a plane ticket and an upgrade to a room with 2 beds? If the kid is too young to stay home it's probably young enough that staying in the same room as mom would be fine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JordanKai posted:

Any guesses as to what publisher this is?

Well, there are endless stories of poo poo like this coming out of a major publisher after they were bought out by Disney and started treating their employees like complete garbage. Maybe you can work out which one I mean...

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lurdiak posted:

Well, there are endless stories of poo poo like this coming out of a major publisher after they were bought out by Disney and started treating their employees like complete garbage. Maybe you can work out which one I mean...

:thunk:

Man, what a disaster. No million dollar operation should act like this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It can't be Marvel, because at least this company invited a woman to a writer's conference. Kelly Sue DeConnick was never invited to one despite her husband regularly going and she was writing Captain Marvel during their first big push to make Carol Danvers a big deal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe they thought Alex was a guy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She explicitly mentions Marvel, Valiant, and DC in the thread, so I don't think it's any of them. She says it's work for hire, so that leaves Archie (who she has done work for in the past), IDW, and Dark Horse off the top of my head, though there's probably some others.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a male single parent and my work doesn't pay for my kid to stay with me if I need to travel. Teleconferencing in is thus an alternative I avail myself of.

Maybe I'm not demanding enough of my employer but I think it's weird to bring your kid to a work retreat.

Being a single parent means making tough employment choices sometimes and it's not always fair.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well it sounds like it came as sort of a threat.

We won't pay and you'll have to teleconference in or you're off the book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

It can't be Marvel, because at least this company invited a woman to a writer's conference. Kelly Sue DeConnick was never invited to one despite her husband regularly going and she was writing Captain Marvel during their first big push to make Carol Danvers a big deal.
G. Willow Wilson has been to multiple retreats since then, as have a number of female editors and some other writer I feel like I'm blanking on, which is something de Campi acknowledges further into the Twitter conversation (she also grants, incorrectly I think, that KSD attended a later one) and also grants there have been several writers at DC retreats but if there is one thing I have learned about Alex de Campi (and this is not to say she's wrong about how this or a hundred other things are bullshit) is that she's very willing to use exclusive and ad hominen statements like this, like the time that she more or less discounted Shelley Bond from being a female editor (and editors aren't freelancers, they're halfway the enemy anyway) because she dresses like an Eastern European lesbian, or when she loudly declared on a comics panel how she was the only woman in the room and the only person who wasn't a white dude invited to speak on a given topic during a panel moderated by Calvin Reid with Heidi MacDonald in the front of the audience preparing to moderate the next panel with multiple women on it in a room that was probably 25-30% women.

It doesn't make her current situation any less bullshit, but it makes me take some of her broader statements with a grain of salt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm a male single parent and my work doesn't pay for my kid to stay with me if I need to travel. Teleconferencing in is thus an alternative I avail myself of.

Maybe I'm not demanding enough of my employer but I think it's weird to bring your kid to a work retreat.

Being a single parent means making tough employment choices sometimes and it's not always fair.

She's not arguing that they would have paid for the kid if she was a man, she's saying it's an unfair stipulation and something that affects women way more frequently than men and thus has a sexist result even if it's not intentionally sexist.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Well it sounds like it came as sort of a threat.

We won't pay and you'll have to teleconference in or you're off the book.

"We won't pay to bring your kid and you still need to attend work, we will set up teleconferencing for you".

This is not unreasonable unless they won't pay her for her time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

"We won't pay to bring your kid and you still need to attend work, we will set up teleconferencing for you".

This is not unreasonable unless they won't pay her for her time.

She's a freelance comic writer, so she's probably just being paid per page, maybe a per diem for the conference, but I doubt she's getting that if she teleconferences.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Right, and that's reasonable if that's how they presented it.

But it doesn't sound that way.

(That and potentially because of the freelance position, it's unpaid.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

(That and potentially because of the freelance position, it's unpaid.)

I mean, if it's this then obviously gently caress those guys. I didn't read it as necessarily being this though. And even if it is, that's a different issue about not paying creatives for their time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think it also speaks to a larger entertainment industry issue that employers often don't want to deal with the responsibility of having employees but not deal with the drawbacks of treating freelancers like freelancers.

At least comics don't seem to run on the bullshit notion of permalancers that TV and film do.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Argue posted:

Riverdale is the nexus of realities that joins Marvel, DC, Glee, Sharknado, and the Predators together.

Consequently, it follows that they share a universe with the Flintstones and Elmer Fudd.

This is why nobody gets to say comics are terrible right now. The breadth of new material has never been greater, archival material of pretty much everything is readily available, and every so often, companies do wonderfully daffy poo poo like this.

(For readers, anyway. For freelancers, everything is still poo poo.)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Stan Lee's wife, Joan, passed away. She was a year younger than him and they had been married longer than most people live (70 loving years). Godspeed to him and his remaining family.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Paging Rhyno

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825161

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Stan Lee's wife, Joan, passed away. She was a year younger than him and they had been married longer than most people live (70 loving years). Godspeed to him and his remaining family.

Oh man, that's a bummer. Listening to his stories about her a few weeks ago, it was abundantly clear he's been incredibly in love with her from the moment they met.

The story of them meeting is pretty great, actually.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

RevKrule posted:

:smith:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Benito Cereno posted:

Did you show this to Ryan and Erica? They would love it, for real.

Yeah! They loved it! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm with Alex that publishers should throw parents, especially single parents, a bone, but she needs to lay off of Valiant.
*huffy nerd mode*
Valiant is a sausage party, sure, but don't discount the contributions of Jen Van Meter, Marguerite Sauvage, Amy Chu, and Patricia Martin (off the top of my head) just because another company wouldn't comp travel and hotel for your baby. Keep firing shots at other publishers, that's a great job security strategy.

• Locked thread