Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pastry of the Year posted:

I miss Plok's "A Trout in the Milk".

The golden age of comic blogs is certainly over. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Hello, thread! Do any of you know how to resubscribe to Marvel Unlimited in the UK? I was trying to take up the free month offer, but UK postcodes are too long to fit into the zip code field which is mandatory to fill in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Space Fish posted:

I'm with Alex that publishers should throw parents, especially single parents, a bone, but she needs to lay off of Valiant.
*huffy nerd mode*
Valiant is a sausage party, sure, but don't discount the contributions of Jen Van Meter, Marguerite Sauvage, Amy Chu, and Patricia Martin (off the top of my head) just because another company wouldn't comp travel and hotel for your baby. Keep firing shots at other publishers, that's a great job security strategy.

Marvel and DC have lots of female writers and artists too. But they never really invited them to retreats until KSD called it out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel and DC have lots of female writers and artists too. But they never really invited them to retreats until KSD called it out.

Exactly. KSD called out her employer's actions. Alex called out her employer then called out unrelated parties, unless Valiant is also unwilling to comp a child's travel expenses.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Warren Ellis Castlevania anime is on Netflix now

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Skwirl posted:

The Warren Ellis Castlevania anime is on Netflix now

Any good? G.I. Joe resolute was pretty terrific.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doe anybody know what it means that the most recent release of Barbaella is an "adaptation" by Kelly Sue Deconnick instead of a translation? Did they just have her make up words to fit the pictures instead of translating it?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Doe anybody know what it means that the most recent release of Barbaella is an "adaptation" by Kelly Sue Deconnick instead of a translation? Did they just have her make up words to fit the pictures instead of translating it?
By adaptation they mean it's not a literal translation. It's trying to get the spirit of the book for an English audience without just being a rigid direct translation. She's working from the original French.

Haven't read it though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timeless Appeal posted:

By adaptation they mean it's not a literal translation. It's trying to get the spirit of the book for an English audience without just being a rigid direct translation. She's working from the original French.

Haven't read it though.

Isn't that called a translation?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

joehonkie posted:

Only watched the first episode it's not bad but the name Belmont didn't come up until the last minute.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

It can be, but they presumably want to be upfront about it in this case.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Skwirl posted:

Only watched the first episode it's not bad but the name Belmont didn't come up until the last minute.

You've seen the last of Dracula, congrats.

I went "4 episodes, I'll binge a show for once!" and got angrier at every episode. That show is cheap as gently caress and has nothing to recommend it. Trevor Belmont swears more than I do. When I realized how it was going to end I got mad.

They find Alucard in an underground totally-not-the-clock-tower stage, and Sypha, Trevor, and Alucard go "well let's go do something offscreen"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I have bad news, everyone on the Castlevania hashtag loves the show.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm already the dissenting voice in TVIV, I'm okay feeling like Cassandra here.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

joehonkie posted:

It's pretty great!

Netflix Castlevania is basically "What if Trevor Belmont was Spike Spiegel?"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know for a lot of stuff that's translated from Japan, it's explicitly not. There is usually one person who does a dry and direct translations and then someone else who does a pass on it and makes it feel more natural. Of course I don't speak French and would probably still have a pretty easy time at translating French text, but whatever.

Have an interview where she explicitly talks about some of the stuff she's changed in translation.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So it's specifically adapting Castlevania III?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So it's specifically adapting Castlevania III?

Pretty much kind of.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Like, a prequel to it, yes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched Castlevania show yesterday, and it was so bad.

It was like they sucked out everything fun about the Castlevania games, and replaced it with a boring rear end in a top hat that mopes around about how he doesn't want to save people, and then in the final episode suddenly goes

"Huh, you know, maybe this genocide thing is kinda bad???"

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah I couldn't get past episode 3. It's really loving bad. Plus I was kinda hoping for a Lords of Shadow spin and was disappointed.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Happy Birthday Corto Maltese. Born on July 10, 1887 on Valletta and debuted in July 10 1967 in Una ballata del mare salato on Sargeant Kirk Magazine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Plus I was kinda hoping for a Lords of Shadow spin and was disappointed.

Are you from hell or something.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lurdiak posted:

Are you from hell or something.

Not that I know of. It would explain a lot though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lords of Shadow might be the worst thing that happened to a franchise that didn't involve Michael Bay.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Lords of Shadow might be the worst thing that happened to a franchise that didn't involve Michael Bay.

Eh, I liked it. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lords of Shadow was dumb but nowhere near that bad.

Lords of Shadow 2 on the other hand is awful depressing as the last true Castlevania game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ImpAtom posted:

Lords of Shadow was dumb but nowhere near that bad.

Lords of Shadow 2 on the other hand is awful depressing as the last true Castlevania game.

I kinda feel the reverse. LoS1, no exaggeration, put me to sleep playing it twice, and then I got a gift copy of 2 and enjoyed how incredibly stupid it went over the top.

"Y'know, just hunting down Marilyn Manson, Satan's biochemist son, in a city that humans built in honor of the castle God scourged off the earth millenia ago, no big deal."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stealth sections in the most generic-looking Warhammer 40k future ever are not what I think of when I think "Castlevania".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

I kinda feel the reverse. LoS1, no exaggeration, put me to sleep playing it twice, and then I got a gift copy of 2 and enjoyed how incredibly stupid it went over the top.

"Y'know, just hunting down Marilyn Manson, Satan's biochemist son, in a city that humans built in honor of the castle God scourged off the earth millenia ago, no big deal."

If the entire game was actually over the top I might agree but all of that insane stuff is bookended by boring segments in a crappy mind-castle or generic uninteresting city environments.If they'd go full batshit with it like the sequence where Dracula rides a missile it would have been a way better game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Years and years ago, the first time I ever went into a comic shop, I found this comic where the front cover featured "Green Sinestro, Bat-Penguin and Super-Luthor" but never bought it or read it. I've recently looked it up and that cover is for a "Silver Age No. 1" one-shot from 2000 by Brian Bolland.

But was that itself based on a real comic with "Green Sinestro, Bat-Penguin and Super-Luthor"? Was it a reprint? It might just be the passage of time (i.e. almost 15 years) but I'm almost convinced that the comic I saw must have been a legit Justice League issue from the 1960s. :shrug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The brick wall is definitely recalling this.

edit: As far as I can tell without reading them, the stories in the Silver Age crossover were original, just done in homage to the style.
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/silver-age/4045-56684/issues/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 11, 2017

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I really like the 395 cents price!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Silver Age is a pretty great Mark Waid project! It's the perfect length for a good-sized trade, too :(

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 11, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, 10 year old me was convinced that it was an authentic 1960s back issue so it obviously worked. :v:

One other thing I remember from an early trip to the comic shop was Dragon Ball Z comics in the American comics format; left-to-right, A5 (?) paper size etc. Now that is something I've definitely mistakenly remembered.

EDIT: I love getaway driver Batman at the bottom here:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 11, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Wheat Loaf posted:

One other thing I remember from an early trip to the comic shop was Dragon Ball Z comics in the American comics format; left-to-right, A5 (?) paper size etc. Now that is something I've definitely mistakenly remembered.

These existed, I had some. Viz published them in the late 90s to early 2000s. They were right to left, and I think they got to the end of the Frieza saga before Viz stopped publishing single issues in the American format.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

American format isn't A anything.

They're 10 1/8 by 6 6/8s which isn't even a paper size either.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
My son just started calmly explaining to me who Starscream, Megatron, Bumblebee, and Soundwave are. I have never really exposed him to Transformers (I assume he picked it up at school).

It was very amusing. I guess this is the nerd equivalent of your kid discovering the "unknown" band you listened in in High School.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If your unknown band was a modern billion dollar franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

If your unknown band was a modern billion dollar franchise.

I mean, he's not quite five so might as well be the same thing to him.

It was more his earnestness in telling me about something totally new and cool to him I'm thinking of.

• Locked thread