Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the course of my ongoing quest to tidy my messy bookshelves, I have encountered the non-comics equivalent of TPB spines not lining up because the company changed their logo etc.

Here is one of my bookshelves:

Let's zoom in:

For goodness' sake, Zorro publisher. :cripes:

I have an Ultimate Spider-Man trade where the title is published upside down on the spine for some reason. Like you know how literally every single english language book in existence has the tops of the letters on the right side, not this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

purple death ray posted:

This happened very briefly during Marvel Vs. DC. I can try to post panels tonight once I get off work.

Wasn't Ben Reilly Spider-Man at the time though? He fought Superboy (the cloned one from Death and Return of Superman) and Tim Drake Robin made out with Jubilee after tying her down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Amazon and other non-comic retailers use a distributor other than Diamond which is always a few weeks behind. And yeah, your local store just probably isn't ordering many or any $125 books short of special orders.

Unrelated, Alex de Campi is tweeting about an unnamed publisher inviting her to a retreat, but being unwilling to pay for her child (she's a single mother), and threatening to remove her from the as-yet unreleased book if she doesn't at least teleconference in to the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/status/882651634018463744

Jesus gently caress, they're kicking her off a book because they won't pay for a plane ticket and an upgrade to a room with 2 beds? If the kid is too young to stay home it's probably young enough that staying in the same room as mom would be fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Well, there are endless stories of poo poo like this coming out of a major publisher after they were bought out by Disney and started treating their employees like complete garbage. Maybe you can work out which one I mean...
It can't be Marvel, because at least this company invited a woman to a writer's conference. Kelly Sue DeConnick was never invited to one despite her husband regularly going and she was writing Captain Marvel during their first big push to make Carol Danvers a big deal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm a male single parent and my work doesn't pay for my kid to stay with me if I need to travel. Teleconferencing in is thus an alternative I avail myself of.

Maybe I'm not demanding enough of my employer but I think it's weird to bring your kid to a work retreat.

Being a single parent means making tough employment choices sometimes and it's not always fair.

She's not arguing that they would have paid for the kid if she was a man, she's saying it's an unfair stipulation and something that affects women way more frequently than men and thus has a sexist result even if it's not intentionally sexist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

"We won't pay to bring your kid and you still need to attend work, we will set up teleconferencing for you".

This is not unreasonable unless they won't pay her for her time.

She's a freelance comic writer, so she's probably just being paid per page, maybe a per diem for the conference, but I doubt she's getting that if she teleconferences.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Warren Ellis Castlevania anime is on Netflix now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

joehonkie posted:

Any good? G.I. Joe resolute was pretty terrific.

Only watched the first episode it's not bad but the name Belmont didn't come up until the last minute.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Otto was born in New York and his parents were both Americans.

Is that established in the comics at any point? Given him first showing up in the 60's I sorta assumed his original origin was Wernher Von Braun esque.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There was a one-shot that detailed his youth in I wanna say the late 80s. His parents were super American.

Also he tried to cure AIDS in that story.

I'm going to chalk that up to trying to avoid the obvious implication that he was Wernher Von Braun if Von Braun cared more about mechanical arms than rockets.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Not all german-named scientists are former nazis, you horrible racist.

In the time period Otto Octavius was first introduced they were either Nazis or Jews who fled the Nazis. And don't loving :godwin: me about a character who once tried to kill off 90% of the planet just so the other 10% would remember him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

He wasn't even an evil scientist. He was just some nerd who invented robotic reach grabbers so he could gently caress around with radioactive test tubes.

Wernher Von Braun wasn't evil either, he was just really into making rockets. He's the reason we got to the moon, and he's also the reason London has a lot of cool building built after 1945

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/elizaskinner/status/885529128673320961

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I know people aren't as big on Batman once it switched animation styles, but it still had it's moments.
https://twitter.com/haIcyondigest/status/887168885606232065

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Has there ever been a hero named Maverick? I feel like there would have had to have been, but I can't picture him.

There was a GI Joe character and a Jim Lee X-Men character, also a Western TV show and it's Tom Cruise's call sign in Top Gun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Oh poo poo, Bad Horse!

Dr Horrible is the best thing Joss Whedon's done since season three of Buffy, and also the last good thing he's ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I tried watching Riverdale the other night and couldn't get through the first episode with how trashy it was.

I mean, implied twincest, Archie loving Miss Grundy in a car, Betty and Veronica making out...all in the first 40 minutes of the first episode!

Does it represent the current state of the comics or is it just a weird take on the material?

Everything you're complaining about is why the show is awesome, except the Miss Grundy poo poo, that was boring and annoying, but thankfully gone by episode 4 I think?

My favorite episode is probably the one with "the very special message" about slut shaming where Betty goes full on Sybil.

• Locked thread