Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Soonmot posted:

I started reading the Simonson Thor trades I bought during the amazon sale and they are just as amazing as I've been told

What's so cool about them? Legitimately don't know much about Thor runs--is Simonson in the 80s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does anyone have an opinion on the early GI Joe comics?

The commentary in the back of GI Joe vs Transformers refers to them a lot and I was curious if they were any good, and if they were collected in trades somewhere. I'm not very familiar with the lore beyond having watching the cartoon show as a kid.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

X-O posted:

I think Larry Hama is still writing the original GI Joe series today, only through IDW and not Marvel. I've only ever heard great things about his GI Joe stuff.

I don't suppose the Marvel GI Joe stuff from the 80s is on Marvel Unlimited? The IDW reissue trades are like 20 bucks each and there's at least 16 of them.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They're sort of the perfect thing to find at a Half Price Books or something, but I've never seen GI Joe stuff there. Or if I do, it's some trade from a few years ago, not the classic stuff.

Speaking of IDW, I did find a cool deluxe hardcover compilation of the early TMNT stuff--I've never read it, but I think it's the original issues from 1984. I'm kind of excited to read it, just to see what the idea was that sprouted such a massive franchise.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Huh, it's so seldom this happens anymore but I took a look on ebay and found someone selling a lot of the first 5 GI Joe trades for around 50 bucks. Since every other listing I saw was 1 trade for $25, I jumped on it.

That's like the first 50 issues, so should give me a good idea if I want to track down the other 11 trades!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

By #50, you'll either love it or...nah, you'll probably love it.

Were those IDW editions, or Marvel? Marvel released the first five Classic G.I. Joe TPBs before losing the rights to IDW, and then IDW reprinted them and continued the series.

Hmm, I can't actually tell from the picture--maybe you can? I think that link should go to the completed listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162567726671

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Senor Candle posted:

Did they do the Hickman Avengers Omni right?

Also what's up everyone comics seem bad right now

Just read older, better comics.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I really like the 395 cents price!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I ordered an Amazon Fire yesterday and I was wondering if anyone had any issues with using it to read comics. I'm pretty new to digital comics at all but I've found it really hard to read physical books with our baby in my lap so I thought a Kindle might be easier to read with 1 hand.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Roth posted:

The only problem I ever had was that Marvel Unlimited isn't supported, but that's easily solved by getting the apk file and installing it. It works great.

That's weird Marvel Unlimited isn't supported, I had just assumed it would be.

Is it difficult to get the apk or whatever? I'm not super familiar with that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

Because I have a disease I drove an hour out of my way to go look at a comic collection after work tonight. 5 long boxes, nothing special but he said he had a lot of Deadpool issues and Deadpools are easy money right now. He had the two minis, the first 12 of the ongoing from 1997 and a bunch of X-force issues. Not really worth the trip to be honest. He wanted $200, I talked him down to $100 and then struggled to fit the 5 boxes in my Miata. Got home, got unloaded and dumped them in the garage and I'm sitting here alphabetizing them and I've found a complete run of X-Factor from 1-121 (so far), first Apocalypse and Archangel in NM shape and in box #4 I hit his New Mutants stuff. Started at #53 and I'm flipping through and I get to #95 and I swear I got sweaty and my hands went numb and BAM, New Mutants #98. And it's loving flawless. Hell of a score for $100 and two hours out of my day.

Incidentally, if you shove hard enough you can get two long boxes in the trunk of a 2006 Miata and three in the passenger seat.

What is so special about New Mutants #98??? Pardon my ignorance!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like comics but I don't really collect them--mostly buy trades.

How much is that New Mutants issue in question worth?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Oh man, Malibu!

I had a few of those as a kid, is there anything worth remembering about their superhero stuff? Some guy named Hardcase, maybe? And I remember an Ultron rip off robot whose head gets found in a junkyard and takes over the person who found it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Has there ever been a hero named Maverick? I feel like there would have had to have been, but I can't picture him.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
"However, Omega Red soon attacked the building, looking for the carbonadium synthesizer."

What the hell is the carbonadium synthesizer? It's mentioned like 4 times on Maverick's wiki page as something Omega Red has been looking for since the 60s. Is it just a macguffin?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only letterer I know by name is Todd Klein, probably because Gaiman and Alan Moore both work with him a lot.

Are there other letterers who contribute a lot that I'm missing? They almost seem like good design--done well, it's invisible. But maybe I'm just ignorant of this aspect of comics?

The BKV book The Escapists had a character who was a letterer which was insightful if true, since the guy loved copying out books by hand in high school.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can everyone who posted a letterer post an example of their work (if you haven't)? I'd love to see a bunch of distinctive lettering work side by side.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Edge & Christian posted:

I always remembered Gaspar! as a kid buying back issues because his name was just GASPAR! but he did a huge amount of DC covers and logos and just regular ol' lettering for DC from the Go Go Checks era through Ambush Bug through Arkham Asylum. Todd Klein himself calls Gaspar his "inspiration" in a pretty extensive memorial retrospective.

The previously mentioned Richard Starkings founded Comicraft about 25 years ago, it's pretty cool to browse through their online store of fonts; there are several based on the hand-written fonts of creators like Dave Gibbons and Joe Kubert, not to mention Starkings's pre-digital work on various books.

Are you interested primarily in people whose main gig is "lettering" as opposed to cartoonists with distinct styles? Because at that level it almost comes down to handwriting, but there are still some people with cool handwriting.

I guess just how does a letterer win an Eisner each year? What are they winning it for, exactly? I can see how an artist or writer creates something the industry wants to reward, but lettering doesn't strike me as an artistic craft exactly. So I feel like I'm missing something.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

mrchoupon posted:

Clayton Cowles made an Ask/Tell thread a few years ago about comic lettering; it had some interesting details and anecdotes. It's even on the live forums still: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736698&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This was informative and cool!

Thanks everyone for all the lettering info--was something I always had questions about!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I tried watching Riverdale the other night and couldn't get through the first episode with how trashy it was.

I mean, implied twincest, Archie loving Miss Grundy in a car, Betty and Veronica making out...all in the first 40 minutes of the first episode!

Does it represent the current state of the comics or is it just a weird take on the material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Seems somewhat divisive, but if I enjoy the placid nostalgia of old Archie comics, Riverdale doesn't sound like the show for me! At least my appraisal of its trashiness wasn't ill-informed, just some see that as a strength.

• Locked thread