Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the course of my ongoing quest to tidy my messy bookshelves, I have encountered the non-comics equivalent of TPB spines not lining up because the company changed their logo etc.

Here is one of my bookshelves:

Let's zoom in:

For goodness' sake, Zorro publisher. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Years and years ago, the first time I ever went into a comic shop, I found this comic where the front cover featured "Green Sinestro, Bat-Penguin and Super-Luthor" but never bought it or read it. I've recently looked it up and that cover is for a "Silver Age No. 1" one-shot from 2000 by Brian Bolland.

But was that itself based on a real comic with "Green Sinestro, Bat-Penguin and Super-Luthor"? Was it a reprint? It might just be the passage of time (i.e. almost 15 years) but I'm almost convinced that the comic I saw must have been a legit Justice League issue from the 1960s. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, 10 year old me was convinced that it was an authentic 1960s back issue so it obviously worked. :v:

One other thing I remember from an early trip to the comic shop was Dragon Ball Z comics in the American comics format; left-to-right, A5 (?) paper size etc. Now that is something I've definitely mistakenly remembered.

EDIT: I love getaway driver Batman at the bottom here:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 11, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just realised that Doc Ock has a sort of German-sounding accent in the Spider-Man '94 cartoon because it was supposed to tie in with the James Cameron movie which was going to feature Arnold Schwarzenegger as Ock.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Probably why he was so buff too.

I wonder if Cameron was going to put Arnie in the green and orange armour.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the most memorable thing about Malibu today is probably Ryu holding Ken's scalp going, "KEN! MY OLDEST FRIEND! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Goddamn lovely day. I'm scared who #3 will be.

Doctor Who. :qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like that retro looking cover.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You'll know Richard Starkings and Tom Frame if you've read any British comics from the 80s. Those guys monopolised everything published by Fleetway between them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

So I have been listening to a book on Audible called "Professor Moriarty and the Hound of the D'Aubervilles."

Kim Newman is a huge Marvel fan and credits two things as setting him on the path to becoming a writer: the first is sitting up late to watch the Béla Lugosi Dracula movie when he was a kid; the second is his grandmother buying him a Marvel comic.

I think that book's great. I love the Legion of Late Victorian Super-Villains assembled by Moriarty in the last story.

It's loosely set in the same continuity as Newman's Diogenes Club stories, which I recommend if you can get hold of them, as is a similar novel called Angels of Music, which is Charlie's Angels in Paris during La Belle Époque, in which the Angels are (initially) Christine Daae, Trilby O'Farrell and Irene Adler and Charlie is the Phantom of the Opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Newman also dresses like Doc Holiday in every picture I've ever seen of him.

I believe he also used to carry a cane with a sword in it.

I'm not sure if he beats Alan Moore for obscure metatextual references but he comes close if he doesn't.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 26, 2017

• Locked thread