Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pastry of the Year posted:

I miss Plok's "A Trout in the Milk".

The golden age of comic blogs is certainly over. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

One other thing I remember from an early trip to the comic shop was Dragon Ball Z comics in the American comics format; left-to-right, A5 (?) paper size etc. Now that is something I've definitely mistakenly remembered.

These existed, I had some. Viz published them in the late 90s to early 2000s. They were right to left, and I think they got to the end of the Frieza saga before Viz stopped publishing single issues in the American format.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just realised that Doc Ock has a sort of German-sounding accent in the Spider-Man '94 cartoon because it was supposed to tie in with the James Cameron movie which was going to feature Arnold Schwarzenegger as Ock.

Probably why he was so buff too.

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, Otto is one of the quintessential German names. Possibly only losing to Hans.

My dad had an ongoing flame war with a German man named Otto in the 90s, during the BBS era.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I remember when my mother-in-law's boyfriend (before she was my MIL) met me and learned I liked comics and a couple days later he came over and had a handful of random 90s comics. It was all issues of GL Mosaic, Justice League Task Force, Secret Defenders, second tier Images (like Brigade) as well as 80s black and white explosion stuff like Aircel and non-Ultraverse Malibus like Ex-Mutants, Dinosaurs for Hire and Protectors. Of course he wanted me to tell them they were all worth 10K each, saying "cover price if you're lucky" basically destroyed him, he was so crestfallen.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you read any recent Nocenti?

Aja will bring the best out of her and we'll get 80s Nocenti

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

There was a GI Joe character and a Jim Lee X-Men character, also a Western TV show and it's Tom Cruise's call sign in Top Gun.

Good show.

It's also Chris Blair's (Mark Hamill's character) callsign in the Wing Commander series of video games and I'll leave it at that for fear of summoning Derek Smart Forum users.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Lightning Lord: just a dude that really likes James Garner. (and who couldn't?)

An accurate description of one of the many aspects of my unique personality.

Gaz-L posted:

I assume as a villain for Cassie to put down?

Nope, Fantomah was trapped in like a soul jar, was used as a MacGuffin and when freed killed some villains and spared Cassie despite having darkness in her soul.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

John Costanza (no relation) is pretty cool, he lettered Kirby's Fourth World comics, Dark Knight Returns and Moore and Bissette's Swamp Thing among lots of other iconic comics.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

But did Workman do the amazing onomatopoeia or was that Simonson himself?

Letterers do the onomatopoeia, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

I guess just how does a letterer win an Eisner each year? What are they winning it for, exactly? I can see how an artist or writer creates something the industry wants to reward, but lettering doesn't strike me as an artistic craft exactly. So I feel like I'm missing something.

They get an Eisner because their craft is essential to the aesthetics of the medium, as well as ease of reading. Without them every comic would look as awful and be hard to read as Order of the Stick, where the loghorreic walls of text are rendered in comic sans

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 23, 2017

• Locked thread