Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I have been listening to a book on Audible called "Professor Moriarty and the Hound of the D'Aubervilles."
It follows the criminal exploits of Professor James Moriarty and Cnl. Sebastian Moran. It is basically the Earth-3 version of a Sherlock Holmes story (Moriarty breeds wasps, like how Holmes breeds bees.)
But it is very enjoyable. And it's full of references to other pop culture people like the Lone Ranger and Fu-Manchu.

But I came across a really surprising one.
One of the chapters opens with a British officer hiring the duo and paying with a massive emerald. When they ask him how he got it he tells them he pulled it from an idol north of Kathmandu.

At that point Morane goes into a tangent about how you never mess with gems on idols as they are always more trouble than they are worth. And he lists a bunch of cursed jewels.

"The Moonstone, the eye of Klesh, the All seeing eye of the Goddess of Light, the Crimson Gem of Cytorak and the Pink Diamond of Logash."

Now of the I know the Eye of Klesh is from a HP Lovecraft story. And the Moonstone and gem of Cytorak as from Marvel comics. I can't place the other two but I also figure they are references.

Still it was really cool to hear it name dropped like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread