Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Because I have a disease I drove an hour out of my way to go look at a comic collection after work tonight. 5 long boxes, nothing special but he said he had a lot of Deadpool issues and Deadpools are easy money right now. He had the two minis, the first 12 of the ongoing from 1997 and a bunch of X-force issues. Not really worth the trip to be honest. He wanted $200, I talked him down to $100 and then struggled to fit the 5 boxes in my Miata. Got home, got unloaded and dumped them in the garage and I'm sitting here alphabetizing them and I've found a complete run of X-Factor from 1-121 (so far), first Apocalypse and Archangel in NM shape and in box #4 I hit his New Mutants stuff. Started at #53 and I'm flipping through and I get to #95 and I swear I got sweaty and my hands went numb and BAM, New Mutants #98. And it's loving flawless. Hell of a score for $100 and two hours out of my day.

Incidentally, if you shove hard enough you can get two long boxes in the trunk of a 2006 Miata and three in the passenger seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

What is so special about New Mutants #98??? Pardon my ignorance!

LoL, my bad. It's the first appearance of Deadpool. Even poo poo conditioned copies sell for good money!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Not all german-named scientists are former nazis, you horrible racist.

Only the best ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I still never sold my Deadpool collection that I PM'd you for advice about. I guess I'll get around to it someday.

Time to get on it bro. I'd put off buying a NM98 for so long that prices had sky rocketed so I'm glad I scored this. I now have an unbroken run of DP appearances from his first all the way to 2008. I don't even like DP, I just knew these would be money comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't see the nm98 until I got home. So yeah, I did rip the dude off I guess.
Also 90% of the collection is junk and I spent two hours and gas to get there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who knows. But his house was nice and he had none of the usual I STOLE THIS STUFF ticks. We get plenty of people in the store trying to sell stolen poo poo, usually there's a few tells.

Like missing teeth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I did tell the guy that if he wanted $200 he could bring them into town and the store would buy them but he wanted cash. So maybe stolen, maybe not.

We once bought some comics that the seller had taken possession of because his tennents skipped on their rent so he claimed everything they left behind. Nothing spectacular but 3 months later the original owner came into the store raising hell over his "stolen" comics. The law was on our side but that guy was a pain for over a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm dyin

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Rhyno looks like a skinny John Byrne with no glasses.

YOU SON OF A BITCH

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

THAT WAS THE GODDAMNED LINE

Also in case anyone wants to keep throwing shade, at work we only pay cash up to 35% of what we will sell a book for. Because there's no guarantee those books will ever even sell. Welcome to the collectible comics market.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I like comics but I don't really collect them--mostly buy trades.

How much is that New Mutants issue in question worth?

$500+ to the right buyer. But I honestly did not know it was in the box so I didn't rip the dude off. I took it out of the bag and it smells like smoke so I have it in a sealed tub with dryer sheets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I sell 20 comic blind bags for $10 in the store. People seem to like them a lot! We've been transitioning to 3 for $1 blind bags because I can put 500 of them together in a single shift and it's less likely that I will double something up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Malibu gave us the Ultraverse and there were some really fun books in that run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really like the concept of Prime at the time. Captain Marvel but with a ton of snot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

...so Boogerman?

Kind of?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

First George Romero, now Martin Landau. This day loving sucks.

Goddamn lovely day. I'm scared who #3 will be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone read that overhyped Archie issue?

Betty lives but she may be paralyzed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We don't deserve that man.

• Locked thread