Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

July contains both US Independence Day and Canada Day, so here's comic characters Captain America and Captain Canuck.

Have happy and safe holidays and discuss comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

No Wolverine representing Canada? What the he'll is this?

He's a lousy X-pat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I sure love people who use "SJW" unironically.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comics are actually very good right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

It doesn't come out until later this month but it contains the first year (Avengers 1-23, New Avengers 1-12) of the core series, along with the Infinity mini-series and Hickman-written satellite stories. I'm going to assume they're put in the story order Hickman intended and mapped out with charts, since I know they did that for the smaller collections of his run previously released (at least they did for Time Runs Out).

The previous TPBs didn't do this, and Avengers and New Avengers were split. Additionally, the Infinity TPB didn't include the A/NA issues, though the omnibus did. Presumably, if they're issuing new omnibu, they're putting them in the correct order. It would be unusual if they didn't, considering the Hickman F4 books did so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Huh, Amazon and some other places have it coming out July 18. I didn't see it at the shop I dropped into yesterday either, but I suppose it's not shocking that you don't order a lot of shelf copies of a $125 book.
Amazon and other non-comic retailers use a distributor other than Diamond which is always a few weeks behind. And yeah, your local store just probably isn't ordering many or any $125 books short of special orders.

Unrelated, Alex de Campi is tweeting about an unnamed publisher inviting her to a retreat, but being unwilling to pay for her child (she's a single mother), and threatening to remove her from the as-yet unreleased book if she doesn't at least teleconference in to the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/status/882651634018463744

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She explicitly mentions Marvel, Valiant, and DC in the thread, so I don't think it's any of them. She says it's work for hire, so that leaves Archie (who she has done work for in the past), IDW, and Dark Horse off the top of my head, though there's probably some others.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Stan Lee's wife, Joan, passed away. She was a year younger than him and they had been married longer than most people live (70 loving years). Godspeed to him and his remaining family.

Oh man, that's a bummer. Listening to his stories about her a few weeks ago, it was abundantly clear he's been incredibly in love with her from the moment they met.

The story of them meeting is pretty great, actually.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The $50 one? It's small with low resolution, so expect to have to zoom and pan around a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How does a 17" screen need guided view for double-page spreads!? My iPad Air displays them reasonably readable in landscape, and my iPad Pro does it without issue at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is a really weird argument. Even ignoring E&C's presumably accurate statement that it's literally never been brought up, "Octavius" isn't a German surname by any stretch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In my experience, those grab bags are generally full of 90s and 2000s dreck, but occasionally there'll be something fun in them. Worst case, there might be something to laugh at.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That can't possibly be how it's actually printed can it? That totally messes up Infinity.

Edit:

This Reddit post suggests this is the order (not including the additional content):

Avengers #1-3
New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #4-5
New Avengers #4-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
Infinity #1
New Avengers #8
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6

quote:

So what's changed? Marvel has settled the issue over if Avengers 1-3 or NA 1-3 should be read first by placing Avengers at the forefront of everything in the omnibus. Although Avengers 44 pretty much settled this debate in my opinion given it's closing lines and that was change I had made back then. A few list thrown around still place NA1-3 in front you can now all laugh at them and tell them how they are wrong. The only real change from my old list is combining Avengers 4-5 and New Avengers 4-6 into their own chunks. I had originally placed each 4th issue next to one another and dividing them from the rest of the series but the ordering here works just fine when reading if not better than my own.
My only real complaint with the omnibus order is that it places New Avengers #8 behind Infinity #1 where the original graph made by Hickman had it set as a prelude. This is entirely a personal matter however and to my knowledge every collection of Infinity has it in the order presented above and collected in the Omnibus. So the issue is mute and apparently it is something Hickman himself changed later.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 18, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, Waid's Archie has overall been disappointing for me after a really strong first issue and some fun moments. At the very least, it hasn't been as fun as Jughead under both Chip and North.

So, earlier in the year my employers decided that after I spent months ringing the alarm that things were going poorly, getting salty at me for pushing back against their poor decisions, then decided when their bad decisions actually crumbled to throw me under the bus. I lucked out and literally found a new job immediately, but I'd invested a lot and it was pretty devastating. Anyway my wife was amazing and let me put my severance towards finding an artist and working on a comic project I'd have bouncing around for years. It's really helped keep me consistent and focus myself away from dwelling on stuff.

Anyway, I'm putting it online if anyone wants to check it out.

This looks cool! Glad things are looking up for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

"However, Omega Red soon attacked the building, looking for the carbonadium synthesizer."

What the hell is the carbonadium synthesizer? It's mentioned like 4 times on Maverick's wiki page as something Omega Red has been looking for since the 60s. Is it just a macguffin?
It synthesizes carbonadium. The malleable form of adamantium, which quelled Omega Red's Death Factor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Is anybody keeping track of how often Ive forgotten there was a monthly chat thread so far this year? i feel like it's been almost every goddamn month

I posted this on July 1, so not this month. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chris Eliopolous (sic, probably) and John Workman are probably two of the better hand letterers.

The thing with lettering is you don't really notice it unless it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

Letterers do the onomatopoeia, yeah.
*Generally* this is the case, but it's not a 100% thing. If the onomatopoeia is integrated into the art, the penciller will do that. I'd guess that Simonson did some of the work in Thor.

• Locked thread