Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
There are several Classic GI Joe TPBs reprinting the '80s series. It started slow, but ended up far better than it had any right to be. The Cobra villains and the ninjas were always much more interesting than the Joes themselves, which shouldn't be too surprising.

I collected them all as a kid (as well as the figures) and wish I still had them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If any of you have access to Hoopla through your public libraries, they include a few of the Classic G.I. Joe TPBs from IDW. Everything is in e-book format, and your library will dictate how many checkouts you get per month. (Mine gives us four.) They have a good selection from DC, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, Valiant, and a few no-name indies, but the IDW selection is spotty. Ours has Classic G.I. Joe volumes 1, 2, and 4, but that's still a nice way to get started reading them. Like I said, the first 10-20 issues are slow and kind of generic, but they really get good when they get into the Cobra politics, the origin of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, the Joes who served together on a long-range recon patrol in Vietnam, etc.

What's really interesting is that the series could have been a straight-ahead, rah-rah, gung-ho (no pun intended), "America, gently caress yeah!" jingoistic pep rally, but a lot of Hama's writing was actually critical, or at least satirical, of the military and the "might makes right" ethos of the '80s. While the cartoon was always a straight-ahead toy commercial, Hama did his best to balance introducing new characters (toys) when he had to, but continue to develop and focus on his favorites.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Huh, it's so seldom this happens anymore but I took a look on ebay and found someone selling a lot of the first 5 GI Joe trades for around 50 bucks. Since every other listing I saw was 1 trade for $25, I jumped on it.

That's like the first 50 issues, so should give me a good idea if I want to track down the other 11 trades!

By #50, you'll either love it or...nah, you'll probably love it.

Were those IDW editions, or Marvel? Marvel released the first five Classic G.I. Joe TPBs before losing the rights to IDW, and then IDW reprinted them and continued the series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Hmm, I can't actually tell from the picture--maybe you can? I think that link should go to the completed listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162567726671

Almost positive they're IDW, just from the bit of the one spine I can make out. That's nice. If you decide to track down the rest later, at least they'll all match on your bookshelf.

(I get a little OCD about such things!)

But that's a great deal. Congrats!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

The only letterer I know by name is Todd Klein, probably because Gaiman and Alan Moore both work with him a lot.

Are there other letterers who contribute a lot that I'm missing? They almost seem like good design--done well, it's invisible. But maybe I'm just ignorant of this aspect of comics?

The BKV book The Escapists had a character who was a letterer which was insightful if true, since the guy loved copying out books by hand in high school.

Bob Lappan's lettering from the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice Leagues is instantly recognizable to me. His letters are thin and almost a little shaky, adding to the madcap humor of those books.

• Locked thread