Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly even "Batman culd bet up spiderman bcuz hes BADA$$" would've been worlds better.
That's ridiculous. Batman wouldn't fight Spider-Man but see a new Robin in training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

Eh, he'd get better.
Nah, he'd be replaced by new Robin, Ben Reily and then replaced by Miles Morales.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I want someone in the crowd yelling, "I feel like this is a more nuanced issue!"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think it also speaks to a larger entertainment industry issue that employers often don't want to deal with the responsibility of having employees but not deal with the drawbacks of treating freelancers like freelancers.

At least comics don't seem to run on the bullshit notion of permalancers that TV and film do.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Doe anybody know what it means that the most recent release of Barbaella is an "adaptation" by Kelly Sue Deconnick instead of a translation? Did they just have her make up words to fit the pictures instead of translating it?
By adaptation they mean it's not a literal translation. It's trying to get the spirit of the book for an English audience without just being a rigid direct translation. She's working from the original French.

Haven't read it though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't that called a translation?
I know for a lot of stuff that's translated from Japan, it's explicitly not. There is usually one person who does a dry and direct translations and then someone else who does a pass on it and makes it feel more natural. Of course I don't speak French and would probably still have a pretty easy time at translating French text, but whatever.

Have an interview where she explicitly talks about some of the stuff she's changed in translation.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like he needs a male version of Kate Beaton's Dagger comic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, Waid's Archie has overall been disappointing for me after a really strong first issue and some fun moments. At the very least, it hasn't been as fun as Jughead under both Chip and North.

So, earlier in the year my employers decided that after I spent months ringing the alarm that things were going poorly, getting salty at me for pushing back against their poor decisions, then decided when their bad decisions actually crumbled to throw me under the bus. I lucked out and literally found a new job immediately, but I'd invested a lot and it was pretty devastating. Anyway my wife was amazing and let me put my severance towards finding an artist and working on a comic project I'd have bouncing around for years. It's really helped keep me consistent and focus myself away from dwelling on stuff.

Anyway, I'm putting it online if anyone wants to check it out.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Saga's lettering also deserves a lot credit for creating narration that isn't just cluttered text boxes and both compliments and sometimes elevates the art.

• Locked thread