Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Frenz posted:

if you watch the commandant's speech on the projectors you can catch a glimpse of ocelot's men moving into position on the catwalks

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

for mg1/2 keep a guide handy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

"..."

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Pablo Gigante posted:

Ghost Babel FTW

he'll yeah

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

emoji posted:

Recommended order for complete library playthru for new player? (been saving this forever lol and avoid half the internet to avoid spoilers lol)

Genuinely jealous of you being able to freshly experience some of the best gaming of all time... enjoy.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

unnecessary

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They recorded unique dialogue for every single hallway you could ever find yourself stuck in if you just call Colonel Campbell.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is MG1 reasonably doable without the map or a guide? Whenever I replay it I can do up through like the tank by memory and then I lose interest. I beat it as a kid and remember at least using the map a lot, but that could be either because it was necessary or because I was six

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Metal Gear 2 you absolutely WILL need a guide for a certain part. So yes.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

In Training posted:

They recorded unique dialogue for every single hallway you could ever find yourself stuck in if you just call Colonel Campbell.

He's talking Metal Gear 2

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

The Milkman posted:

Is MG1 reasonably doable without the map or a guide? Whenever I replay it I can do up through like the tank by memory and then I lose interest. I beat it as a kid and remember at least using the map a lot, but that could be either because it was necessary or because I was six

The real version is really loving hard without a guide or map sometimes. The NES is really simple in comparison

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh. MG1/2 arent very fun

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i remember beating both mg games as a teenager with no guide when i would pirate absolutely anything in sight and pretty much emulated every single game that was not from a windows era. its also why im now permanently brain damaged with the same sort of disease that affects lyle and ragg where i immediately hate any attempt a developer does to make a game not completely impenetrable to the average gamer

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

i remember beating both mg games as a teenager with no guide when i would pirate absolutely anything in sight and pretty much emulated every single game that was not from a windows era. its also why im now permanently brain damaged with the same sort of disease that affects lyle and ragg where i immediately hate any attempt a developer does to make a game not completely impenetrable to the average gamer

so how did you know the knock code in two without a guide or the actual instructions?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Milkman posted:

I think there is one (or two at most) bit where I couldn't progress and had to look up a specific thing that I just couldn't figure out (this is what one would have done back in the day anyway, only via friends or a magazine so it hardly ruins the experience) but that was it. Of course I did have the manual.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Liquid Drink posted:

so how did you know the knock code in two without a guide or the actual instructions?

i can barely remember anything about the games since i was like 13 but im sure the version i downloaded came with a manual

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i beat police quest with no guide around the same period :mome:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Liquid Drink posted:

The real version is really loving hard without a guide or map sometimes. The NES is really simple in comparison
i need to play the msx one all the way through. i've only played 2 off subsistence

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think there is one (or two at most) bit where I couldn't progress and had to look up a specific thing that I just couldn't figure out (this is what one would have done back in the day anyway, only via friends or a magazine so it hardly ruins the experience) but that was it. Of course I did have the manual.

yeah i think for the most part you could fumble your way through but it doesn't really lend itself to that. i wouldn't want to play it that way. there's worse examples but it's not like zelda or whatever where it's fairly discoverable

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

The Milkman posted:

i need to play the msx one all the way through. i've only played 2 off subsistence

I thought the version in Subsistence was the MSX version, just with a better translation and codec character art that looks more like Shinkawa art and less like Mel Gibson.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I thought the version in Subsistence was the MSX version, just with a better translation and codec character art that looks more like Shinkawa art and less like Mel Gibson.

It is/they are.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I was talking about the two originals and you absolutely cannot beat 2 without either a guide or the instruction manual

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hell its inscrutable to the point of not fun playing MG1 with out a guide. Flame me if you must but it's true.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MGS1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> PW -> GZ -> TPP is everything

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Release order is the only way to properly play these games, for your first time. Chronological is for veterans only.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'd go so far as to say you could skip MG1 or just watch a walkthrough. MG2 is essential and unlike 1 is fun to play.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'd go so far as to say you could skip MG1 or just watch a walkthrough. MG2 is essential and unlike 1 is fun to play.

Don't skip it in my opinion. You should see how the game flows to appreciate why MGS is perfection.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rediscover posted:

Release order is the only way to properly play these games, for your first time.

Every game is a reiteration of the previous games at least to some extent and the later games are basically "sneak a bit and then look at all these throwbacks we packed in!" so this is true. "You can't play this game without an instruction manual" is kind of :rolleyes: I mean duh.

I actually remember Metal Gear 2 being easier with exactly one thing I had to look up because I tried using just the smoke bombs and not smoking.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Now that SGDQ is over I can get back to MGS3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Planning on doing a no kill but immediately the first guard I grabbed with CQC I accidentally slit his threat

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Planning on doing a no kill but immediately the first guard I grabbed with CQC I accidentally slit his threat

Someone needs a lesson on pressure sensitive buttons.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

for at least the first like hour of any mgs 1-3 replay im always clumsy as hell

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Training posted:

That happened my second no kill run attempt. On my first attempt I got all the way to the mountain and when i tranq'd a guard near a ledge he slid off the mountain to his death.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

Yeah it takes a while to adjust. But once I get to the ocelot fight I'm in the groove, popping out of cover, dodge rolling, shooting beehives etc. And then I have to stumble through the caves for an hour ...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
its still really crazy to me that the ps2 had pressure sensitive face buttons but apparently only mgs3 used them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

its still really crazy to me that the ps2 had pressure sensitive face buttons but apparently only mgs3 used them

I think Gran Turismo used them for analog acceleration before PS3/360 had the analog triggers and driving games moved to those.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Son of a bitch....The Bouncer used the pressure sensitive buttons for different moves. Since I played it on an emulator I had no idea. Guess Ill have to buy a disc copy

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I want to say that the Ace combat games used the pressure sensitivity in some way, but it may have just been the triggers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zas posted:

Hmm same but all the time and I get like G rank.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Zas posted:

Same. Even though I usually play them once every 2-3 years I'm baffled at how I was ever good at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just started MGS5TPP and loving hell the Russians started lobbing mortar shells on my arse.

• Locked thread