Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Um...yeah, anybody who complains about boxing this year is a total shitheel. I'm elated!

The only chat of boxing at work is about the farce Mayweather-McGregor "because there's nothing else worth watching" :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Slaine posted:

I've never seen Indongo fight before, but he looked terrible from the outset. Very nervous/stiff legged.. throwing sloppy, wide shots.

I know Crawford is class, but nothing about that looked like a unification fight. Hope he lines up a good fight soon.

Not sure if he was jittery because of the significance of the fight or if Crawford was disrupting him immediately, but his last two wins were very quality. A 40 second KO of Troyanovsky followed by a 12 round shut out over Ricky Burns. He's good, but Crawford is something else.

balancedbias posted:

Um...yeah, anybody who complains about boxing this year is a total shitheel. I'm elated!

The only chat of boxing at work is about the farce Mayweather-McGregor "because there's nothing else worth watching" :suicide:

It shouldn't be too hard to rope people in for the ggg fight at least. Rigo might be a harder sell.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It shouldn't be too hard to rope people in for the ggg fight at least. Rigo might be a harder sell.

Yeah Rigo is an absolutely brilliant boxer, but a lot of his fights you kinda have to love the sport already to appreciate him.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Not sure if he was jittery because of the significance of the fight or if Crawford was disrupting him immediately, but his last two wins were very quality. A 40 second KO of Troyanovsky followed by a 12 round shut out over Ricky Burns. He's good, but Crawford is something else.

Do not try to get any casual fans to watch that fight. They will hate it.

It's a fight for hardcore fans, and that's ok.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

oh my god

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah Rigo is an absolutely brilliant boxer, but a lot of his fights you kinda have to love the sport already to appreciate him.

Let's be honest; this might be the first fight where nobody gets hit and they still get a standing ovation. Think Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon choreo.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thank gently caress this fight is happening I'm hype!!!!!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Bumping this since there is a card tonight at 10 est which is basically an old Friday Night Fights card on steroids.

Oscar Valdez and Gilberto Ramierz are defending WBO featherweight and super middleweight titles. Valdez with little expectation against alphabet mandatory Genesis Servania. Ramirez is in somewhat tougher against undefeated Jesse Hart. Mick Conlan is on the undercard.

Edit: BLH preview if you're not satisfied with my lame write up

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/9/19/16332076/valdez-vs-servania-ramirez-vs-hart-fight-preview-and-matchup

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 22, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

All undefeated fighters too. I might hit up my local bar for this one.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was just about to praise him for coming back so well, but Hart did not like a body shot he ate somewhere in that round at all. Surprised Ramirez wasn't able to drop him again.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Though Hart was gonna go when Zurdo dropped him in the 2nd but he showed great heart :downsrim: and made it close. Zurdo probably deserves the win though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I missed the first half of this fight where Hart was apparently in all sorts of trouble because of ESPN showing baseball and being too lazy to find a stream, but that seemed like a pretty decent fight.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wow that came out of nowhere. I think maybe Valdez isn't actually hurt but that's a legit knockdown.

e: He was hurt at the end of the round for sure though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Fight owns.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Grittybeard posted:

Fight owns.

No doubt. Valdez has been forced to dig deep these past few fights. More impressive than blasting out that overmatched Argentian dude when he won the vacant belt and washed Evgeny Gradovich.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Servania gassed/got wild somewhere around round 8 so this is a clear Valdez win, but that was still pretty fun.

I could get used to decent fights on ESPN.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Scorecards seem a bit wide but I did feel Valdez won as well.

Good call moving the 'lesser' cards to Friday as well. Hopefully they stick with it when college football season is done, love that old Friday Night Fights feel.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
2 Fight card tonight at 10:30 EST. Switch between this and HBO card I guess

Artur Beterbiev vs Enrico Koelling is for the one of belts now vacant by Andre Ward's retirement (the IBF if you're keeping track). Russian amateur standout Beterbiev rose through the ranks at 175 like a wrecking ball in and instantly became a standout in the division when he smashed through former beltholder Tavoris Cloud even more decisively than Adonis Stevenson had. He then linked an advisory pact with Al Haymon and seemed destined for the top of the division but has basically been derailed by injury and the failure of the PBC experiment to since stopping Gabriel Campillo in a CBS show headlined by Stevenson. Nevertheless he has remained active enough and now finds himself in a position to seize upon what many had predicted when he was only 6-0 a few years ago. . 2012 German Olympian Koelling is the heavy underdog but you for, effectively, an alphabet mandatory you take what you can get. If Beterbiev wins a showdown with fellow 175 standout Oleksander Govzdyk, who is also promoted by Top Rank, could loom large.

While the title fight is the headliner local attraction Jose Ramirez will be the one putting butts in the seats. A 2012 Olympian for the U.S. Ramirez has largely followed the Top Rank model of bringing up amateur standouts slowly through the ranks, keeping them largely local to build a following while (very) gradually ramping up competition. His one fight in front a of a wider audience was a tough decision win over Manuel Perez on the undercard of Pacquio-Bradley III in what was expected to be a showcase and he's since been consigned back to headlining regional shows on Unimas. Mike Reed is a similar undefeated prospect in the Top Rank stable but-given that his last 3 fights have gone to decision(Ramierz has knocked out his last 3) is coming in with decidedly less momentum.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
EDIT: Moved to new thread for Loma/Rigo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843173

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 10, 2017

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

war rigo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This really should get its own thread so much is on tonight it getting lost in the shuffle would be depressing

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lid posted:

This really should get its own thread so much is on tonight it getting lost in the shuffle would be depressing

Yeah I agree, a new thread would be good for visibility too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Eh, why not

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843173

• Locked thread