Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Your best bet is to guess the complete opposite of what a normal human being would rate these episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm in the guessing game for the first time, so here's to being completely wrong for the next thirteen weeks :woop:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Mysterion is pretty boring and Not Good, but it's nowhere near the atrocity that is Identity Crisis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

It's clear that Moffat modelled this episode, and Grant specifically, after Superman. But he completely misunderstands why Superman works. The best explanation of Superman and why he's so appealing comes from this Polygon article Justin McElroy wrote explaining why he wasn't seeing Batman versus Superman

That's what makes Superman good. That's what makes him powerful, what makes him memorable. What makes him iconic. People ask why Superman even has a secret identity, why he isn't just Superman all the time. And it's simple; he became a hero not for any specific reason, no girl to impress or fame to attain, he did it because it was The Right Thing To Do. The real trick is that Clark Kent isn't Superman's secret identity; Superman is Clark Kent's. Clark is the superhero, the person Kal-El desperately wants to be. The young Kansas farmboy who was raised to be a respectful, nice person. And it's the whole reason Superman works; Kal-El is under no obligation to be a superhero, but he is anyways because it's what Clark Kent would do.

Finally, someone who views the Clark/Supes identity the same way I do. Superman will always be my favorite comic hero, but you can count his (consistently) good runs on one hand. Very few writers seem to nail what makes him work, and even those who usually do it well occasionally gently caress up. Grant Morrison's All-Star run is the definitive take on the character, but his New 52 Action Comics run is forgettable at best. I think that's why, for me, Mysterio comes across as such a boring and uninspired slog. Bad Superman stories are common, bad Superman-knockoff stories are the wallpaper paste of the comic world. If you aren't going to do anything clever with Superman in a Doctor Who story, then why bother doing it at all?

And that loving costume looks like something out of a direct-to-dvd christian superhero movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My Moffat hatred stems more from his complete and utter failure as a showrunner. He's literally wasted years of the show because he can't budget properly and we're now on the second (!) actor to leave the title role because they don't want to commit any more of their time to a delayed production.

Yeah, the Moffat years look professional and polished, but it's still a loving mess behind the scenes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Playtest is one of the weaker BM episodes, you won't be missing much if he spoils it for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's tempting to compare Brooker with Rod Serling given the similarity between BM and Twilight Zone, but Brooker is far more cynical than Serling ever was and that's primarily why I'd rather see him continue to do his own thing. Everyone assumes Serling was the world's greatest misanthrope, but he actually strongly believed in the overall good of humanity and could probably have turned in great optimistic morality plays for a show like Star Trek. Brooker's BM writing is far more acidic, with only San Junipero and Nosedive having even vaguely positive endings (and he didn't even write Nosedive, only the general outline). I can't see that writing style translating to a Saturday afternoon kid's show and I wouldn't even want him to try and adapt to it.

• Locked thread