Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

2house2fly posted:

I don't think they've done any shorts since the Matt Smith days. Probably budget cuts

They've done a handful (eg The Doctor's Meditation before season 9). There was one done for the first episode of this season that ended up being a reworked version of a scene in the released episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Glad this is back.

BSam posted:

The ""Next time" trailer was amazing in the middle of the Family of Blood two parter. I don't feel like any others did anything fun and special.
The one for Blink was pretty good too, but most of them are just a series of scenes with some dialog.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Mysterion is pretty boring and Not Good, but it's nowhere near the atrocity that is Identity Crisis.

Let alone Ultimatum.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Stabbatical posted:

It was okay for me. I'd had some drinks, Christmas dinner, some family around. It did The Business.

Yeah, same. It wasn't great but none of the Christmas episodes have been (aside from Christmas Carol). It's why I'm surprised at the strong reaction.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Superman - Secret Identity is one of my favourite takes on the character. It's about a guy called Clark Kent who becomes Superman in a world where Superman exists but only in comics.

And to add my voice to the chorus, this story felt like Moffat hadn't seen any superhero stuff since he watched Donner's Superman as a kid.

cargohills posted:

I feel like an attempt at a British superhero could have been quite funny.
"Is the Doctor a superhero" is always a fun thing to consider.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The other dumb thing about Bill's speech is that it's hardly unique to Superman.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I ended up downloading a copy of Hickman's FF run after I bought because the reading order is so loving annoying. At least his Avengers run can generally be read a trade at a time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Be Right Back is still depressing but it's nuanced and bitter sweet rather than utterly soulcrushing.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Playtest is one of the weaker BM episodes, you won't be missing much if he spoils it for you

Yup, it's the weakest of the ones I've seen (up to Shut Up and Dance).

I'm trying to think what it does that's relevant to the episode and I'm guessing it's about a spooooky house? It was one of the things Playtest did well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In Playtest the idea that the game would show him his greatest fears is itself a product of his imagination, since the scenes where he is introduced to the game never actually happen in reality. He doesn't go into a game that creates his worst nightmare, he imagines a game that makes him imagine his worst nightmare.

I didn't like Playtest for the same reason I think Last Christmas is kinda poo poo; layers on layers of "is this real" can end up feeling very arbitrary and cheap, even (or especially) if the individual scenes are good. Stopping one layer earlier in Playtest would have been far stronger, rather than literally "what if phones but too much?"

I'd love to see Booker write an episode of Doctor Who, of course.

• Locked thread