Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree with Occ about the event in the episode being sexist, but I'm not sure about the idea that Doctor Who always 'operates under a level of sexism' simply because its protagonist is a white male. Like, does that apply to EVERY show with a white male protagonist?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You're out of your mind if you tell me Clara, especially with Capaldi, is a damsel in distress.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

In contrast: Flatline, Hell Bent, Mummy, Kill the Moon. Clara is co-protagonist by the end of her tenure.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

hey Escobarbarian I have spent the last couple hours really frustrated with the exact kind of malicious misquoting w/r/t Moffat you're spreading here and LET ME TELL YOU, you fuckin suck for perpetuating that poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

No! NOT obviously! That's called intellectual dishonesty!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

The thing is that we all know the "there's a tremendous lack of respect for anything male"/"you are loving BANISHED from doctor who" Moffat is the real one, so why give him the benefit of the doubt?

Because a dubious quote from 12 years ago and a rumor in Private Eye are up against nearly a decade of capable, three-dimensional female characters, including multiple starring action roles for older actresses, a leading gay character portrayed by a woman of color, along with four+ years of bricklaying in anticipation of a female Doctor.

You have to be willfully, maliciously dense to pretend that poo poo doesn't count!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Moffat wasn't talking as a writer (he was complaining after getting corrected for misusing a pronoun during a panel) but I get your point about how there isn't a good way to refer to people who don't conform to either gender (even if I would argue that's not the point he was making in that quote).

I don't really share your hatred for they/their though

HE WAS NOT CORRECTED FOR MISUSING A PRONOUN

He didn't misgender ANYBODY! That NEVER HAPPENED!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm just goin' off that tweet, dude. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing someone covering a live panel would make up for laughs.

It's called context, you boob. Someone else slipped up about pronouns for Time Lords who have changed gender and Moffat made that remark in response.

You're "just goin off that tweet" which is exactly the loving problem. Develop some goddamn rigor.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

nope. I burnt out immediately plus I got depression.

Maybe I'd be better at it now, but nah.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

You fuckin' son of a bitch idiot. Go away. I liked it better when you were gone, and not here.

At a loss for words?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

except that clara ruled, grumpy twelve ruled, and everyone who didn't love it was wrong.

• Locked thread