Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I've been following this whole ordeal from the beginning, so about 3 years (loving hell) and it's just amazing from start to finish. Watching the journey from

quote:

I loving hate Doctor Who
to

quote:

I love Doctor Who
has been absolutely stellar, and you've completely nailed why I keep coming back to this drat show after periodically wanting to quit since about 2012.

I just have no idea what's going to come next. It could be Love and Monsters, it could be Heaven Sent, there's just know way of knowing. The uncertainty is, for some reason, irresistible, and and now I'm so invested in the character and the mythology that I'm never going to leave.

gently caress this show, it's amazing.

I'm not even going to try and guess what the grades are, I'm just going to put my own grades in and see how well we match up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

This drove me absolutely nuts in Kill Bill Volume 2 when Bill describes Clark Kent as the made up personality.

It's odd with Superman since he actually has two secret identities (I'm purely going by the Donner version, I don't know if the comics are different): Superman, and bumbling, glasses wearing reporter Clark. So in this sense Bill's right. Clark Kent, the 'real' person, is only really able to be himself when he's back in Kansas with his parents, who taught him to be selfless and humble and instilled the values he tries to live by. He spends the rest of the time switching between two false personas: Superman, who is trying to live up to his own ideal of humanity, and Clark Kent, who is trying to not get noticed, whilst still trying to incorporate those values into them. Throw in Kal-El, Son of Krypton in there as well, and I'm surprised he doesn't periodically have a full on mental breakdown from his identity issues.

Thinking about it, it's a good extreme example of who we are compared to how we present ourselves, which is a very universal conflict that pretty much everyone goes through.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 9, 2017

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Doctor Who
"The Pilot"
Series Ten, Episode One

ce. It's still a fundamentally sexist way to establish a character (considering that a woman only has value in-universe if and when an old white man decides so), but it's the level of sexism that Doctor Who always operates on, because literally every single Doctor has been a white dude. It's an unfortunate part of the form DW takes, and will be so until someone at the BBC wakes up and casts a woman to play The Doctor because, jesus loving christ, how the gently caress has that not happened yet.

Almost stopped reading here. Having an old white man in the lead doesn't make it inherently sexist. I actually agree that they should cast a woman, because it'll freshen up the show, but these sorts of arguments are getting so hyperbolic and ridiculous and borderline SJW that I almost want it to be an old white man again just to piss off the people who can't shut up about how sexist/racist it would be if they do.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
In the show Capaldi switched genders mid sentence when talking about the Master depending on which regeneration he was referring to. But yeah, I can see how that would be a loving nightmare when writing extended amounts of prose, for both the writer and the reader.

I'm a bit ignorant of this subject, but isn't there some real world parallel here? Whenever I hear anyone, either in private or in the media, talk about someone transgender, they always refer to them by their current, identified gender, even if they are referring to something that happened before they transitioned. I don't see any problem with referring to Thirteen as female, even when talking about past regenerations.

I've never understood why we use the same words 'They' and Their' to refer to both 1 person and several, let alone different genders. Drives me up the loving wall.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I'm going to have to watch Oxygen again.

One of the many reasons I like Flatline and Orient Express so much is because of how visually distinct they were from most other Doctor Who episodes. Just the aesthetic of the episodes: the locations, the costumes, the music and the monsters themselves, it all felt really fresh at the time. When Matheson then came up with a 'zombie on a space station' story I was a little disappointed because corridors, space stations and zombies is pretty much every other episode of Doctor Who. Matheson had made himself so exciting and unique that I kind of had unrealistic expectations for the next episode, and that's also probably why I didn't get an immediate sense of 'that was awesome' that I did with his previous two.

• Locked thread