Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Is it already policy of yours to not watch the next time trailers? If not then it really should be. They spoil quite a lot this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Decided to go for the tried and true guessing game method of grading them according to how much I liked them. By "tried and true" I of course mean that this hasn't worked once and typically leads to me being near the bottom of the leaderboards.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I feel like an attempt at a British superhero could have been quite funny.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Narsham posted:

And it also feels like Moffat thinks superhero/comic fans are like Grant.

I don't really think that's the case. He's a giant nerd himself, I'd imagine he understands that comics nerds aren't very different.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I really don't get the hype around Series 5. Politically, The Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks aren't really much better than Invasion/Inversion, and aside from that are both pretty unbearable to me anyway - and then there's two whole episodes dedicated to a story that was better when it was written by a communist and starred Jon Pertwee. There's a decent amount of average-to-good episodes, and some classics (Amy's Choice in particular is a standout) but not really any more than anything before.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I would be legitimately fascinated to hear about this opinion.

These pieces, by Jack Graham, pretty much explain why I find them both so awful:

The Beast Below: http://shabogangraffiti.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/beasts-of-england.html?m=1
Victory of the Daleks: http://shabogangraffiti.blogspot.co.uk/p/churchill-bastard.html?m=1

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

That analysis assumes inherent conflict between the rulers and the rest of the population. Even on a lifeboat. Bizzare.

It's a pretty reasonable assumption to make in a society that models itself on nostalgia for Britain past and has a royal family. And when the episode itself shows the government is behind the abuse of the space whale.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's literally called Starship UK (despite appearing to be more Starship England). The whole aesthetic is like a sci-fi Blitz spirit. There's a royal who's really just a figurehead. It seems like a pretty clear analogy to me.

If you're arguing entirely on this surface level you could try and say something like The Happiness Patrol or The Sun Makers isn't an analogy for Britain despite that pretty clearly being the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm really not convinced that RTD is so much worse at working class representation than Moffat. Even just looking at the companions, Rose has a poo poo job and lives on a council estate with her mother, and Donna is a temp who lives with her mother well into adulthood. Martha is the most middle-class of the three outwardly due to the whole medical student thing but she also lives iirc with a single parent.

In comparison, Bill is the only working class Moffat companion - Amy lives in a big house in some sleepy village, Rory's a nurse and Clara's a teacher with her own place.

• Locked thread