Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I always thought he should watch it just because he seems to be a fan of TV production in general. The fact that it has any relevance at all to a show still being made that you're watching is simply sweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
No it's not quite THAT bad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The line I always came back to is that DC is about superheroes coming to find their place in their world. Marvel is about the world's reaction to superheroes.

Marvel is very heavy on institutions, inspired by real-life, deciding to amass power and high technology. Inevitably bankrolled by The Taxpayer, it's an effort to keep the balance of power in the hands of normal people in this age of costumed freaks. Acts of Congress are often as destructive as supervillains are. And everything from giant helicarriers to sentinels are supposed to be something our normal governments can afford.

Doctor Who has this sort of thing as well, but UNIT is used very sparingly and as a sort of helping hand or cleanup crew. Their biggest involvement was the Dark Water two-parter and that story involved a full scale global invasion and not just "some funny looking people show up in London."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
When she began echoing Bill I started having "Midnight" flashbacks and freaking out before remembering that this villain-thing had a really lame lead-in.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

This is partially because RTD's vision of "the working class" was skewed; like America, he viewed the white middle class as "the working class", over people of color and various minorities struggling to make rent or living paycheck-to-paycheck.
This review is loaded with #woke sociology stuff, but I won't begrudge you for it because you actually write a lot of words as to why you feel the way you do instead of just saying "that's problematic AF" and walking away as online culture critics ceaselessly do in our tweet-focused world of disposable hot takes.

But I do want to point out: obviously, black people were freed much earlier in Britain America, and there wasn't a half-century of laws designed to keep them disadvantaged and dependent on whites for generations afterward. It's not equal, but it's far less oppressive when you don't have "state's rights" conspiring against an entire population and telling them this is legal and perfectly within the framework for 100 years. There ARE demographics with a lot of correlation to working class poverty, but they're slightly more complex: single working moms and immigrants are probably the big two you'll see on TV most often.

I wouldn't be opposed to that if it isn't really hard to write genre fiction television in the trappings of a sci-fi show. How do you make it matter where someone is originally born from in a way that matters but doesn't cause offense or feel like a pander? It's really difficult, especially when your main character is a space alien who fell out of time. Likewise, the signature characteristic of a single working mom is there's not enough time in the world to get by, which does sound like material for a good story but not a whole series.

Anyway, I liked this episode. It's by the numbers, but many feel like they haven't seen Doctor Who in forever and, more importantly business-wise some kids have cycled into the program's age group since the last episodes were aired, so having a "jumping-on point" isn't a bad idea. The last season was just loaded with continuity muck with stuff like Davros, Gallifrey, that dumb callback about the Doctor's parents, etc.

Was never a big Capaldi fan through his run but I liked him here. Playing a weirdly old professor instead "well he should always be saving things somewhere" seems fitting for him, and the montage of him talking while the chips are cooking etc was great.

The fact that the audience got like three good looks at the portraits on his desk seemed excessive but it's a quibble I can live with.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 15, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't complain about "SJWs", because I think it's a really dumb term and if you do it's like displaying a membership card to a really awful clique. However I do tire of people having an expectation that their entertainment align with their values; often just calling the incongruous bits "problematic" and then leaving it there. This term always implies it's the fault of media.

What Occ posted was not simply "wow this show is problematic" but he actually specified why the dynamics wear thin. And it's not that you can't have a white man explain the universe to a woman even once, or else he'd been relentlessly railing this show from the beginning, it's that when you do it ad nauseum for 50 it becomes noticeably institutionalized and when you're still doing it in 2016 it shows no willpower to face the matter. And he provided thoughtful alternatives rather than shout that the show simply isn't good enough and leaving it there.

At that point, you don't have to agree with the opinion, but at least it's a well thought out opinion and not simply a low-effort attempt to score points in our dumbass web culture of calling out publicly anything that is "doing it wrong."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All through that season she saves the Doctor or takes risks to help him. She looks capable throughout.

Does showing weakness (being outwitted, whatever) at any time whatsoever constitute a damsel in distress?

• Locked thread