Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
That opening scene is like the deleted Hadley's Hope scenes from Aliens. It really doesn't need to be there and diminishes the impact of the protagonists discovering what's happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Captain Fargle posted:

Another nice thing about this episode is it's underlying message that the British Empire was very explicitly a bad thing. The British Empire was poo poo. It was one of the worst things in human history. A shameless, staggering and utterly brutal exploitation of a full third of the planet. Far too much of Britain sanitises and glorifies it. A truly disgraceful number of us are still proud of it.

In fairness that's because no one gets taught the lovely bits, and the government systematically tried to destroy the evidence as part of Operation Legacy. I remember being at school in the 80s and remember geography lessons often having a significant "that was ours but we gave it back" component to them, as though we'd magnanimously decided the natives were finally ready to live like civilised people and we graciously handed them the keys and bowed out.

Of course with a bit more reading around the subject you quickly learn that "shoot the indigenous people, take their poo poo, split the country in half and gently caress off" isn't that magnanimous and is basically what we did as we travelled the world sticking flags in things.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Toxx makes a solid case for bringing Charlie Brooker onto the DW writing staff.

I don't know if Brooker can manage the optimism that Who really needs in order to keep it Who. He's good at what he does but what he does is relentlessly grim and miserable. I could see him rebooting Torchwood, maybe.

• Locked thread