Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sent in my guesses, for the first time in a long time. What the hell.

Question (can't remember if this has been covered before). I know Toxx occasionally changed his mind on a grade for a previous episode based on the one he's just watched. Which grade counts for the contest? The original or new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yeah, I'll take the final grade, in the event that he changes it. I don't think that's his general practice, though.

No, I can only think of once or twice it's happened. Thanks, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Season 5 has a few clunkers (I mean, of course it does, it's a season of Doctor Who), but it has the best premiere I've seen of the show (haven't watched much of the old series), Amy's Choice, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger, and a finale that I really think delivered. The way it played with Rory's death was really great. A premiere and finale that fit well together, with some truly great episodes in between, is better than I've come to expect from Doctor Who.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

My hope for chibnall is that there's more of a focus on individual writers with crrrrazzzzzy ideas, and that they discover new talent.

This is what I'm hoping as well. Season 8 is far from my favorite season, but it got two great episodes from Jamie Mathieson, who came out of nowhere for me. Go find more like that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

it's not that different than what Oxx posted here in this week's review:

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Random Thoughts:
  • I'm gonna have to stop using male pronouns to describe The Doctor when speaking nonspecifically soon. That's awesome, but also, kinda sucks just because "their" is such a weaker word than its gendered counterparts. Also, "his/her" or "his or her" read like poo poo and I'll never use them.

He was laughing about how, after he slipped up and said the wrong one, that we should just get rid of gender pronouns. He wasn't saying, "Can't say anything these days", he was joking, "I can't talk because I keep loving it up, let's just all agree to use the same thing for everyone."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CityMidnightJunky posted:

In the show Capaldi switched genders mid sentence when talking about the Master depending on which regeneration he was referring to. But yeah, I can see how that would be a loving nightmare when writing extended amounts of prose, for both the writer and the reader.

I'm a bit ignorant of this subject, but isn't there some real world parallel here? Whenever I hear anyone, either in private or in the media, talk about someone transgender, they always refer to them by their current, identified gender, even if they are referring to something that happened before they transitioned. I don't see any problem with referring to Thirteen as female, even when talking about past regenerations.

I've never understood why we use the same words 'They' and Their' to refer to both 1 person and several, let alone different genders. Drives me up the loving wall.

I agree with you to a point, but, as has come up recently in another Who thread, the Doctor is a bit of a different case. A regeneration, in a way, creates a new person, a specific identity. It's like 10 said, you die, another bloke walks away in your place. So when referring to previous incarnations specifically (as in "He was rather vain and regenerated into himself...") I can see using the gender of the incarnation you were referring to. Neither approach is really wrong, though.

And yeah, all options are better than "they" and "their". They work when there's no other choice (you don't know the sex of someone you're referring to), but I just don't like them unless absolutely necessary.

• Locked thread