Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From a "criticising the review" standpoint I gotta say there's far too much discussion of Grant and superheroes in general and too little about the actual episode. Which I guess presents a point, while obviously the recaps are long gone, should the review still generally make sense to someone who hasn't seen the episode? I dunno what the answer is (obviously this thread is mainly for fans of the show, which is an argument against it) but I know as someone who hasn't seen the episode all this review tells me about it is "there's a guy called Grant who is a superhero and also parts of the episode revolve around the Doctor". Is there a villain? Were they good or bad? What was the Doctor doing in his half? Was it good or bad? Who is this guy Capaldi apparently leaves to die? etc

Hickman's FF run really is so freaking good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah your review is super cool and gives me everything I felt was missing from Lick's. Seems like a killer mix.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I remember once he spent the first like 1,500 words of a 3,000-word review going on and on and on and on about the television writing and production process and how it works, explaining it to us like it was TV 101 ... except he was talking about a process that was literally not at all the way Doctor Who (or most other British TV) works.

hahah i remember this, the best

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tbf I got pretty vindicated after Oxx called everyone horrible spergs and burned out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would you need to carry it on? Full story got told already.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do NOT want to drag all this up fully but for me it's almost entirely a tonal thing. I'd rather watch a show that more resembled a sorta crappy British kids show but still fundamentally understood it's character than one that looks/feels more like modern sci-fi but has the Doctor getting turned on by his girlfriend murdering aliens.

I could probably write a whole essay about that one line (it's in 602 if anyone can't remember) and how I consider it entirely representative of Moff and his flippant, sorta lovely attitude/willingness to ignore pretty much the central tenet of the Doctor's character (violence and murder are wrong) in order to (in this case) make a quip about how River makes him horny. But obviously I'm not gonna do that

Anyway the point of this post is to say that calling Moff hate disingenuous isn't really fair because not everyone watches TV the same way as you or for the same reasons

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember Beast Below but Victory has the Doctor being best mates with Churchill the bloody British hero which is a trillion kinds of urghhhhhhhhhh

e: ^^^ Don't forget calling Indians "a beastly people with a beastly religion"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear people like Bill because that character definitely seemed like it could have gone either way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree with Occ about the event in the episode being sexist, but I'm not sure about the idea that Doctor Who always 'operates under a level of sexism' simply because its protagonist is a white male. Like, does that apply to EVERY show with a white male protagonist?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: never mind the post above me explains it really well. DocWhat you silly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
at least this one actually served as a review of the episode unlike the heaven sent debacle

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Redmayne's too busy being the Doctor of the Harry Potter world anyway.

cba to go into the main thread but love the choice of Whittaker, she rules

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Broadchurch is a bad show I stopped watching early on but she's real good in Attack the Block

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^ this is a good post

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminder that Moffat is a gigantic piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/889239546457722881

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean he's very clearly being like "can't bloody say anything these days!!!!!" instead of whatever you guys are claiming?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oxx was the other one, you guys.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

When in doubt, always interpret Moffat in the least charitable way possible. :thumbsup:

I mean....yes, obviously.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

No! NOT obviously! That's called intellectual dishonesty!

The thing is that we all know the "there's a tremendous lack of respect for anything male"/"you are loving BANISHED from doctor who" Moffat is the real one, so why give him the benefit of the doubt?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Moffat wasn't talking as a writer (he was complaining after getting corrected for misusing a pronoun during a panel) but I get your point about how there isn't a good way to refer to people who don't conform to either gender (even if I would argue that's not the point he was making in that quote).

I don't really share your hatred for they/their though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

nearly a decade of capable, three-dimensional female characters

:ohdear: you ok dude?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

HE WAS NOT CORRECTED FOR MISUSING A PRONOUN

He didn't misgender ANYBODY! That NEVER HAPPENED!

I'm just goin' off that tweet, dude. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing someone covering a live panel would make up for laughs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is unquestionably the best thread in TVIV

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Next season of Who will have an American style writer's room, jsyk. So all that stuff Occ said forever ago will actually become relevant

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*googles* yep that looks like exactly the type of game Occ would get obsessed with

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This whole "Jerusalem reviews the actual episode, while Occ reviews a concept" thing is working out pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm only like halfway through Night in the Woods but I haven't seen that theme at all. The town is dilapidated but so far this hasn't been expressly given a reason besides usual "it's a small town death of middle America etc" stuff

• Locked thread