Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
it's blatantly obvious corporate America and the two political parties own and operate the media and now it's been planted in people's heads that's motherfuckers is liars and scoundrels more than ever before. everything on the big news networks has devolved into punditry so my question is how long is this really sustainable? in what ways will it get much worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nationalize all networks into PBS.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No lmao

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's like 15 news channels and they all blacklist Noam Chomsky and curtail any issue to a 60 second soundbite despite having 24 hours of airtime :laugh:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its 24 hr news, that's all the days my man, it can't stop by definition

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Fake news will survive the heat death of the universe

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Change the Earth's rotational speed and it definitely will.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A stone tablet, floating through the void of space, with "Russia!" printed on it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

done. it's ended.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
cant stop wont stop gotta suck 4eva

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
thinkin bout chkin out maddow tonight

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

rudatron posted:

A stone tablet, floating through the void of space, with "Russia!" printed on it

RT News: The Final Frontier

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i gave up on the liberal media when MSNBC made no effort to cover the GOP killing off extended ui benefits (which was a GWB thing mind u) which I doubt out via robocall the day after Xmas. iirc maddow was on vacation and chris hayes (🍼) was covering for the week and apparently thought it would be more important to continually report on whatever wacky shiet was said on :foxnews: that day.

That was the moment I realized that none of those ppl actually give a poo poo about the ppl they pretend to stand up for...it's mostly all ego propelled posturing for ratings. If they actually did care they would be real journalists or be werking for a group like ACLU or SPLC.

Kind of a shame in Rachel's case cause she's very intelligent and talented, and far too much so to just be a talking head alongside chris matthews and ed schultz (who should be stripped of citizenship imo 🇷🇺 or better yet just drop dead)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

at this rate? hell no. gotta play those commercials.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

tidal friction from the moon is slowing earth's rotation, so eventually it will be 25 hour news

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

There's already a 25th hour of news. You must tune into CNN at exactly 11:59:59, at which time all other channels will go to static and Wolf Blitzer's ghost will chant the names of every person to be murdered in the coming day, interspersed with lighter human interest stories.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mariana Horchata posted:

thinkin bout chkin out maddow tonight

maddow seems like more the choker than the chokee in the bedroom, tbh

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mariana Horchata posted:

i gave up on the liberal media when MSNBC made no effort to cover the GOP killing off extended ui benefits (which was a GWB thing mind u) which I doubt out via robocall the day after Xmas. iirc maddow was on vacation and chris hayes (🍼) was covering for the week and apparently thought it would be more important to continually report on whatever wacky shiet was said on :foxnews: that day.

That was the moment I realized that none of those ppl actually give a poo poo about the ppl they pretend to stand up for...it's mostly all ego propelled posturing for ratings. If they actually did care they would be real journalists or be werking for a group like ACLU or SPLC.

Kind of a shame in Rachel's case cause she's very intelligent and talented, and far too much so to just be a talking head alongside chris matthews and ed schultz (who should be stripped of citizenship imo 🇷🇺 or better yet just drop dead)

I think they get paid too much to care about normal people problems. This is the problem with basically everyone that is a "Very Serious Person" in Washington, none of them know what it is like to live poor or even to live middle class. They're all rich.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The only message in any sort of 24 hour news network is "keep looking." CNN closed its investigation journalism bureau years ago

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The internet is way faster so 24 hr news is just for old farts who are dying off

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Uncle Wemus posted:

The internet is way faster so 24 hr news is just for old farts who are dying off

right, but that leaves us vulnerable to fake news in a way they are not, unless they watch fox news

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

right, but that leaves us vulnerable to fake news in a way they are not, unless they watch fox news

Honestly if I've had any sort of takeaway from recent events is what bullshit the concept "fake news" is

The 24 hour news networks lie and pedal bullshit 24/7, but that's "news" because -- if we didn't call it news we would have no definition for it

Meanwhile, a bunch of outsiders figure out how to use new tech to make money telling people lies they click on is "fake news"

In a free market system the news is what sells, that's it

Really what's being called out here is: first depreciate people's ability to think critically, since unless you are part of the 0.01% you are at best well paid cheap labor

Then use the lack of critical thinking skills to manipulate the populace into policies that enfranchise the 0.01% at the expense of everyone else

What the media is complaining is that now other people are using the con for their own ends, be it "actual Nazism" or "RUSSIA STRONK" or "just makin' money"

Of course these things threaten society stability too, but gently caress YOU THE PROBLEM IS THESE GODDAMN NO ACCOUNT PUT ONS WHO ARE DOING FAKE NEWS BUT NOT DOING IT WITH CLASS AND THE INTERESTS OF THE 0.01% IN MIND

can't we stop this non-sanctioned by giant corporation fake news

I'm not mad at you Senator, do not mistake me, I'm just mad

This has been an editorial without periods

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Nebakenezzer posted:

Honestly if I've had any sort of takeaway from recent events is what bullshit the concept "fake news" is

The 24 hour news networks lie and pedal bullshit 24/7, but that's "news" because -- if we didn't call it news we would have no definition for it

Meanwhile, a bunch of outsiders figure out how to use new tech to make money telling people lies they click on is "fake news"

Really what's being called out here is: first depreciate people's ability to think critically, since unless you are part of the 0.01% you are at best well paid cheap labor

Then use the lack of critical thinking skills to manipulate the populace into policies that enfranchise the 0.01% at the expense of everyone else

What the media is complaining is that now other people are using the con for their own ends, be it "actual Nazism" or "RUSSIA STRONK" or "just makin' money"

Of course these things threaten society stability too, but gently caress YOU THE PROBLEM IS THESE GODDAMN NO ACCOUNT PUT ONS WHO ARE DOING FAKE NEWS BUT NOT DOING IT WITH CLASS AND THE INTERESTS OF THE 0.01% IN MIND

that is only too true, we have bought the media, and we are ourselves, bought

yet centrists keep pedalling bipartisanship :lol:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate that its 24 hour news but really it's the hour of light news with a few world headlines like your local station except played 24 times

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nebakenezzer posted:

"entertainment" is what it's legally classified as

:rip: fairness doctrine

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've said this elsewhere, but yeah I'm pissed to that the pols have essentially "appropriated" fake news to mean "news networks I don't like" instead of "unscrupulous bloggers who intentially create falsehoods and dress it up like real news articles for the clicks/ad revenue/propaganda":

quote:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/world/europe/fake-news-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-georgia.html

TBILISI, Georgia — Jobless and with graduation looming, a computer science student at the premier university in the nation of Georgia decided early this year that money could be made from America’s voracious appetite for passionately partisan political news. He set up a website, posted gushing stories about Hillary Clinton and waited for ad sales to soar.

“I don’t know why, but it did not work,” said the student, Beqa Latsabidze, 22, who was savvy enough to change course when he realized what did drive traffic: laudatory stories about Donald J. Trump that mixed real — and completely fake — news in a stew of anti-Clinton fervor.

More than 6,000 miles away in Vancouver, a Canadian who runs a satirical website, John Egan, had made a similar observation. Mr. Egan’s site, The Burrard Street Journal, offers sendups of the news, not fake news, and he is not trying to fool anyone. But he, too, discovered that writing about Mr. Trump was a “gold mine.” His traffic soared and his work, notably a story that President Obama would move to Canada if Mr. Trump won, was plundered by Mr. Latsabidze and other internet entrepreneurs for their own websites.

“It’s all Trump,” Mr. Egan said by telephone. “People go nuts for it.”

Some analysts worry that foreign intelligence agencies are meddling in American politics and using fake news to influence elections. But one window into how the meat in fake sausages gets ground can be found in the buccaneering internet economy, where satire produced in Canada can be taken by a recent college graduate in the former Soviet republic of Georgia and presented as real news to attract clicks from credulous readers in the United States. Mr. Latsabidze said his only incentive was to make money from Google ads by luring people off Facebook pages and onto his websites.

To gin up material, Mr. Latsabidze often simply cut and pasted, sometimes massaging headlines but mostly just copying material from elsewhere, including Mr. Egan’s prank story on Mr. Obama. Mr. Egan was not amused to see his satirical work on Mr. Latsabidze’s website and filed a copyright infringement notice to defend his intellectual property.

Yet Mr. Egan conceded a certain professional glee that Mr. Trump is here to stay. “Now that we’ve got him for four years,” he said, “I can’t believe it.”

By some estimates, bogus news stories appearing online and on social media had an even greater reach in the final months of the presidential campaign than articles by mainstream news organizations.

But then Trump started applying "FAKE NEWS" to CNN & co. and now here we are!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the major news networks not pointing out that we indirectly funded bin Laden before and after 9/11 and allowing 'opinion' shows to paint it as a pan-muslim thing if not fake news. Like Donnie boy is an idiot but he's right about this one thing

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean its still not a well known thing, almost 20 years after 9/11 and much longer since the first WTC bombing, the Cole, etc.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
The last time I watched cable news it was the scare two or three years ago where two NY inmates escaped and for some reason the news covered it 24/7 for days, even though no one even remembers it now since they just caught the guys and nothing happened

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I heard if the news stops every anchor dies.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the news never stops, if there's ever a slow day, they simply import non-stories from the weird dimension, like having a dog on a surfboard

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

yea its a jungle out there. my advise to everyone itt, turn off ur tv and keep ur critical thinking skills well honed (plenty oppos 4 practice nowadays ya kno). also dont get too attached to happenings as they are usually promoted as such to attract viewers via emotional manipulation. on the flippy, dont get ur hopes up too high for good news either (see last sentence). my recommendation instead is to go outside and enjoy urself...ur urself cant individually make any effective change as solidarity and collective resistance is still a foreign concept in America where the concept of protest has become about making the hottest wokest sign to get urself featured on pg. 26-30 of a huffington post clickbait article. why? because the media is casually dismissing it before u behind a shroud of likes and subscribes for potentially viral content. being a ball of anxiety wrapped up in all this will do nothing good 4 ur and change nothing.

but yea u nailed it, as did others

BONUS: find me a cable/network TV news clip of a host stating that "perhaps saudi arabia is bad" opinion

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

i have a really big crush on rachel maddow okay is it so wrong to have a television girlfriend

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

RIP Fairness Doctrine

RIP our privatized society

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 43 hours!)

I don't get how the cable news exists. FOXNEWS rolls in money by the truckload, but how does MSNBC or CNN actually make money?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

OhFunny posted:

I heard if the news stops every anchor dies.

no its like president if everybody important dies then ben carson has to do it

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Peanut President posted:

I don't get how the cable news exists. FOXNEWS rolls in money by the truckload, but how does MSNBC or CNN actually make money?

Fake News :shrug:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

You know how YouTube reaction videos seem to be bottom less pits of ad money? Theyre that but for Fox news and particularly stupid congressmen

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

What is the major news networks not pointing out that we indirectly funded bin Laden before and after 9/11 and allowing 'opinion' shows to paint it as a pan-muslim thing if not fake news. Like Donnie boy is an idiot but he's right about this one thing

BBC reported on just that yesterday (Henry Jackson Society report)

Tho بالتوفيق in getting Cheerleader T to not fall head over heels with SA!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Philip Rivers posted:

i have a really big crush on rachel maddow okay is it so wrong to have a television girlfriend

that's only ok for fictional humans or live geese

• Locked thread