Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Is The Ultimate Warrior
Umiko Ahagon
Hajime Shinoda
Suzukaze Aoba
Sakura Nene
Tooyama Rin
Yagami Kou
Takimoto Hifumi
Iijima Yun
Hazuki Shizuku
Christina Wako Yamato
Momiji Mochizuki
Tsubame Narumi
The two background characters who I think are a gay couple
View Results

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

Shirobako is one of those rare shows that is great the whole way through, except for the last 3 episodes which are even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Shirobako is about a girl and her hallucinogenic donuts.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

They better work on an Andes Chucky game on New Game S3

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
am i allowed to spam this thread with shriobako because im now on ep 21 and its amazing

loved it when she hallucinates the old anime studio

god she hallucinates alot

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baloogan posted:

god she hallucinates alot
It's a sign of a healthy lifestyle.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the new production guy hiraoka makes taro look cool

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I want to punch Hiraoka in the loving face.
I don't want to punch anybody in New Game.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
IRL i used to work on making videos of sewer/pipe inspections and the process is weirdly very similar to making anime

instead of episodes its pipe segments

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you should make an anime about it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
just finished shirobako and im crying about anime

fantastic series
needed a depressing start to have such a fantastic ending
shiro is deeper than new game, but i think shirobako is done, i really want season 3 new game!!!

i also just about watched anime all day
a good day

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I am happy you enjoyed it! It is one of my favorites. I like both end credits songs as well.

The payoff for Shizuka is so, so earned.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

I am happy you enjoyed it! It is one of my favorites. I like both end credits songs as well.

The payoff for Shizuka is so, so earned.

all of seaon 2 i was hoping catherene's voice actor would get hit by a truck or something

and yeah holy gently caress zukachan

i liked the lead voice voice actor character quite a bit too
the way she nodded in her first scene i thought was both super cute but also maybe a reference to a shy VA on shirobako
loved the super shy animator too who talked via charades

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
any ... anime recommendations...? :3:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Baloogan posted:

Have you watched the Third Aerial Girls Squad OVA
(Instead of a typical OVA for Shirobako, they went ahead and made an episode of the anime the Shirobako characters were making.)

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Baloogan posted:

and yeah holy gently caress zukachan

Fun trivia: Zuka-chan was voiced by a newbie VA, Chisuga Haruka. It was her first main-cast role (along with voicing the white dragon from Yona of the Dawn which aired the same season). Shirobako is so meta.

Baloogan posted:

It's hard to find much in the same vein as Shirobako and New Game because they are kinda the vanguard of this "anime about adult working people" trend. I hope more shows like these come along soon.

If you don't mind some near-future sci fi, check out Planetes. It's about some working folks who clean up space debris in 2075.

If the most important thing about a show for you is that it has lovable characters that you want to root for (and it's OK if they're still dumb teenagers), then watch Chihayafuru!

You can also ask in the Recommendation Thread.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mentat Radnor posted:

It's hard to find much in the same vein as Shirobako and New Game because they are kinda the vanguard of this "anime about adult working people" trend. I hope more shows like these come along soon.

If you don't mind some near-future sci fi, check out Planetes. It's about some working folks who clean up space debris in 2075.

If the most important thing about a show for you is that it has lovable characters that you want to root for (and it's OK if they're still dumb teenagers), then watch Chihayafuru!

You can also ask in the Recommendation Thread.

I really love the adult working people anime, maybe I'm getting too old but I can't even remember much of high school and thus can't really identify with any of their high school issues...

I've watched planetes, really quite good. Might even rewatch it..

I'll try Chihayafuru, thank you. And I'll ask in the recommendation thread in a bit.

I found new game when I was reading /a/ and they were discussing the snippets of code that show up sometimes. that hooked me!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

girlish number is about a bunch of incredibly lovely people who are also voice actors. i like the show because the characters get a tiny bit better as the show goes along and there's a lot of good humor and fairly natural drama that comes from the fact that the best people on the show are tarou-level and the worst people on the show (including the protag) are funny story level, but if you don't want that kind of story i wouldn't recommend it, it's not really a show where a single lovely person becomes a good person or anything, more just a show where a bunch of terrible people learn like, one lesson of the many, many lessons they need to learn.

PA works has two other shows in the same 'working series' as Shirobako, Sakura Quest and Hanasaku Iroha. They have no actual connection to Shirobako, but they have a somewhat similar tone and artstyle. Iroha's about running an inn, and Sakura Quest's about working for the tourism board of a small town. I liked Iroha well enough though I wouldn't rate it as highly as Shirobako, and I bounced off Sakura Quest. That said, if you really liked Shirobako, it's worth checking them out, since like I said the tone isn't that far off.

Bakuman is about making manga. It's a fairly interesting inside baseball thing, and some of the characters are likable, but the drama doesn't work half as well as Shirobako's and it has a really shoehorned and awkward love subplot that it abandons for multiple arcs at a time but still expects you to care about. It's also 75 episodes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Baloogan posted:

I really love the adult working people anime, maybe I'm getting too old but I can't even remember much of high school and thus can't really identify with any of their high school issues...

I've watched planetes, really quite good. Might even rewatch it..

I'll try Chihayafuru, thank you. And I'll ask in the recommendation thread in a bit.

I found new game when I was reading /a/ and they were discussing the snippets of code that show up sometimes. that hooked me!

Sore ga Seiyu is good people struggling as voice actresses. Girlish Number is the scum. Both are great.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Hacka Doll has a Shirobako parody episode titled "Kurobako" which is really funny.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Working my way through the second season now (on the 5th episode)and Nene was easily the most annoying character in the first season but this one she's probably the most compelling and interesting.

Hifumi's arc with learning to be a manager is pretty neat too and I'm pretty eager to see how this shy girl handles this stuff.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 10, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Working my way through the second season now (on the 5th episode)and Nene was easily the most annoying character in the first season but this one she's probably the most compelling and interesting.

Hifumi's arc with learning to be a manager is pretty neat too and I'm pretty eager to see how this shy girl handles this stuff.

Nene, Umiko, Hajime, Yun, and Hazuki all got wonderfully fleshed out this season.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Why you leaving out Hifumi? Everyone always forgets Hifumi.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Why you leaving out Hifumi? Everyone always forgets Hifumi.

Because the show unfortunately kind of did after the first 6 eps. :smith:

Not that her material wasn't good, it just felt a little less substantial than most of the other characters'.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

New manga chapter! Yagami learns about French culture, and discovers a painting by Hotaru Hoshikawa. Who else could it possibly be? Especially since it was an art place that accepted Japanese exchange students. I smell future employee. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good on Kou for remembering to call. I wonder whether we’ll be seeing more of Hotarun on Kou’s end or Aoba’s?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Spiritus Nox posted:

Because the show unfortunately kind of did after the first 6 eps. :smith:

Not that her material wasn't good, it just felt a little less substantial than most of the other characters'.

Her arc sort of ended halfway through. She went from "too shy to talk to anyone except her hedgehog" to respected section leader. From here on in it's just her getting socialized more.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Smug levels: 300%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Inflation level: 500%

• Locked thread