Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
man incapable of basic mathematics, caping for a political philosophy that has lost literally all power over the last eight years, accuses someone else of being stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Condiv posted:

problem is i don't think there's a lesser evil in this case. voting for lovely centrists helps make sure the left stays weak (cause centrists use their power for that), and help make sure we get even more extreme right-wingers next time. fascists like trump are only possible cause obama was so lovely and let the banks prey upon the poor

as shown by macron and his new centrists, loving over the poor by turning a blind eye to abuse by megabanks isn't enough for centrists anymore, they want to more directly screw over the poor. no thanks, if i wanted to vote for republicans, i'd go ahead and do so

Well, you're wrong, frankly. Clinton might have been a lovely centrist, but a lovely centrist is a better choice than a dementia-riddled narcissistic pissbaby. If you think Obama's too centrist then sure, maybe voting third party is the way to go - McCain or Romney could end up being bad Presidents, but they're not going to gently caress everything up. Clinton vs. Trump? Clinton could have promised to eat a living baby every single day of her term and she'd still deserve the vote for doing less damage than Trump promised to do; the only reason we've so far avoided complete catastrophe is that the Trump administration's vicious evil is only outweighed by their startling incompetence. "Lesser evil" is fine when it's two flawed candidates; when it's one flawed candidate and one complete loving monster, a racist sexual abuser who campaigns on xenophobia, welcomes support from the Klan, and appoints a millenarian white supremacist to WH Chief Strategist, it's another matter.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

asdf32 posted:

So you're filled with dumb expectations because single payer was never close. You're like the guy who'se getting fed up with republicans and is vowing to vote libertarian next time because Trump didn't immediately and completely repeal Obamacare and build a wall (even though only an idiot expected those things to actually happen).

more like i expected the dems not to attack singlepayer as ultimately unattainable. not close is one thing. saying it'll never happen and bernie wants to rip away people's insurance so he can try to pass it is another.

and since the democrats are not interested in moving left ever, i'm not interested in voting for the centrist ones that form the establishment.

Mister Adequate posted:

Well, you're wrong, frankly. Clinton might have been a lovely centrist, but a lovely centrist is a better choice than a dementia-riddled narcissistic pissbaby. If you think Obama's too centrist then sure, maybe voting third party is the way to go - McCain or Romney could end up being bad Presidents, but they're not going to gently caress everything up. Clinton vs. Trump? Clinton could have promised to eat a living baby every single day of her term and she'd still deserve the vote for doing less damage than Trump promised to do; the only reason we've so far avoided complete catastrophe is that the Trump administration's vicious evil is only outweighed by their startling incompetence. "Lesser evil" is fine when it's two flawed candidates; when it's one flawed candidate and one complete loving monster, a racist sexual abuser who campaigns on xenophobia, welcomes support from the Klan, and appoints a millenarian white supremacist to WH Chief Strategist, it's another matter.

except that it's just kicking the can down the road. trump is a symptom of the democrats and the republicans both being poo poo, and if we don't improve the party we'll see worse than him. voting for centrists that have literally no clue what to do is not helping things in the least. it's better to vote for leftists only to help leftists seize control of the party

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Condiv posted:

that's the plan. vote dsa endorsed, or ourrevolution endorsed dems, or basically dems that i can stomach, and don't vote otherwise.

Then why start this idiotic thread? Oh because you are an attention whore.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
It's a bit disingenuous to start a thread asking a question you already know the answer to. But i guess you wouldnt get any bites asking "How could i ethically vote under capitalism?"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Despera posted:

It's a bit disingenuous to start a thread asking a question you already know the answer to. But i guess you wouldnt get any bites asking "How could i ethically vote under capitalism?"

it's no more disingenuous than an article that has a question as a title. dunno why that's ruined your day

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Condiv posted:

that's the plan. vote dsa endorsed, or ourrevolution endorsed dems, or basically dems that i can stomach, and don't vote otherwise.

Why stop there, why not do more to help the republicans take power and enact their agenda?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

hakimashou posted:

Why stop there, why not do more to help the republicans take power and enact their agenda?

if i wanted to vote republican i'd vote republican. not gonna vote for stupid poo poo like this though:

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/882669894055100416

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
That sign is enough for you to want to help the republicans take power and enact their agenda?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

hakimashou posted:

That sign is enough for you to want to help the republicans take power and enact their agenda?

i don't wan't the republicans to take power. which is why i want the democrats to stop acting like republicans, which is why i won't vote for dems who act like republicans. you guys are gonna be saying people should vote for zuckerberg in 2020 and i will definitely never vote for that little monster.

we need good dems, and we need dems who have direction, not idiot leaders who can only campaign on "we're not republicans!"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
"well one guy will kill a hundred people and the other will kill ten thousand people, so really both of them are exactly the same and there's no point in me leaving my parents basement to involve myself with the outside world in any way"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

"well one guy will kill a hundred people and the other will kill ten thousand people, so really both of them are exactly the same and there's no point in me leaving my parents basement to involve myself with the outside world in any way"

yeah they're both killers. why should i vote for them?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

hakimashou posted:

He wants an excuse to do nothing ever and feel superior while doing it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Condiv posted:

Nine thousand people?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Condiv posted:

i don't wan't the republicans to take power. which is why i want the democrats to stop acting like republicans, which is why i won't vote for dems who act like republicans. you guys are gonna be saying people should vote for zuckerberg in 2020 and i will definitely never vote for that little monster.

we need good dems, and we need dems who have direction, not idiot leaders who can only campaign on "we're not republicans!"

If you don't vote for the democrat in a race you're helping the republicans.

People like you are why Donald trump is president.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ratoslov posted:

Nine thousand people?

i think at the point where we're literally voting for murderer politicians we can cut the lesser evil crap and choose not to indulge in that farce.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Main Paineframe posted:

It's more like "well we're already killing a hundred poor people a day, one side wants to halve it and the other wants to double it. Since neither wants to stop it completely I guess that means they're the same."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

hakimashou posted:

If you don't vote for the democrat in a race you're helping the republicans.

People like you are why Donald trump is president.

it's doubtful i'm the reason why trump is president. also, i'm not helping republicans by not voting for democrats. the democrats don't own my vote, and if they want it they can run non-poo poo tier candidates.

the dsa and ourrevolution is already doing a good job. if the dems can learn from keith ellison they'll be able to win back my vote

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

newsflash: the dems are gonna run more poo poo tier candidates and lose spectacularly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3824498&perpage=40&pagenumber=171#post474074031

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Condiv posted:

also, i'm not helping republicans by not voting for democrats.

yes you are

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

stone cold posted:

yes you are

nah. under that logic i'm also helping democrats by not voting republican. it's silliness

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it's amazing though that you guys wail and gnash your teeth so much when i suggest that there might be some democrats not worth voting for. such as zuckerberg, and his obvious upcoming candidacy

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Condiv posted:

it's amazing though that you guys wail and gnash your teeth so much when i suggest that there might be some democrats not worth voting for. such as zuckerberg, and his obvious upcoming candidacy

EDIT: For some reason I read your post as endorsing Zuck. N/m.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

edit:n/m

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Condiv posted:

i think at the point where we're literally voting for murderer politicians we can cut the lesser evil crap and choose not to indulge in that farce.

The phrase murder is meaningless here - every choice that's ever existed in politics has had life and death consequences.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Lesser-Evilism has gotten us to the point where the lesser evil is basically the same as the greater evil from 30 years ago, it's the same thing but in slow motion.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Not true, socially we've made a lot of progress, gay rights being the most obvious example.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Condiv posted:

except that it's just kicking the can down the road. trump is a symptom of the democrats and the republicans both being poo poo, and if we don't improve the party we'll see worse than him. voting for centrists that have literally no clue what to do is not helping things in the least. it's better to vote for leftists only to help leftists seize control of the party

Even if it is kicking the can down the road, it's a lot easier to change course and make improvements with a centrist in power than a near-fascist who is actively eroding the institutions of the country's government and civic functioning. It's not as easy to accept accelerationism when you're getting actively hosed over by it.

But yeah people like you are why Trump won, at least in part - the GOP hated the guy but they sucked it up when he became their candidate and went and voted for him. Meanwhile, how many people on the left were wringing their hands over whether they could really stand to vote for Hillary Clinton, and some didn't. That happens every goddamn time, and it's why Obama's ability to sell "Hope and change" was so important, because it got a shitload of Democrats out to the ballot box who would stay home with other candidates, even ones like HRC who had more progressive policies.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mister Adequate posted:

Even if it is kicking the can down the road, it's a lot easier to change course and make improvements with a centrist in power than a near-fascist who is actively eroding the institutions of the country's government and civic functioning. It's not as easy to accept accelerationism when you're getting actively hosed over by it.

But yeah people like you are why Trump won, at least in part - the GOP hated the guy but they sucked it up when he became their candidate and went and voted for him. Meanwhile, how many people on the left were wringing their hands over whether they could really stand to vote for Hillary Clinton, and some didn't. That happens every goddamn time, and it's why Obama's ability to sell "Hope and change" was so important, because it got a shitload of Democrats out to the ballot box who would stay home with other candidates, even ones like HRC who had more progressive policies.

the left sucked it up too. last i checked, around 95% of bernie supporters voted for clinton. hillary just didn't pull in enough of anyone else. cause she didn't have a platform worth a drat and she was basically running as 8 more years. it was her election to lose and she lost it by her own actions.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

voting is pointless, therefore everything is pointless and you can feel completely morally justified in spending the next four years locked in your bedroom screaming at your mom to buy you more hot pockets

just like the last four years

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Condiv posted:

it's doubtful i'm the reason why trump is president. also, i'm not helping republicans by not voting for democrats. the democrats don't own my vote, and if they want it they can run non-poo poo tier candidates.

the dsa and ourrevolution is already doing a good job. if the dems can learn from keith ellison they'll be able to win back my vote

Yes you are, you are actively helping the republicans enact their agenda by not voting for democrats, you're almost as bad as someone who votes for republicans.

If you were completely indifferent to politics it wouldn't matter, but if you care about the outcome at all, then you're on the hook.

Don't kid yourself, people like you are why donald trump is president, people who didn't do the right thing in november. I'm sure they all have some bullshit story. You have a moral duty to vote for democrats and if you fail its a stain on you that cant be cleaned off just by being mouthy.

You should be ashamed of yourself for posting this poo poo.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 6, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

hakimashou posted:

Yes you are, you are actively helping the republicans enact their agenda by not voting for democrats, you're almost as bad as someone who votes for republicans.

If you were completely indifferent to politics it wouldn't matter, but if you care about the outcome at all, then you're on the hook.

Don't kid yourself, people like you are why donald trump is president, people who didn't do the right thing in november. I'm sure they all have some bullshit story. You have a moral duty to vote for democrats and if you fail its a stain on you that cant be cleaned off just by being mouthy.

You should be ashamed of yourself for posting this poo poo.

hmm no that's idiotic. rahm emmanuel is a democrat and i'd never vote for him. there have to be limits but you idiots argue there's no limits to how terrible the dems can become, they have to be voted for because they're "better" than republicans

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Condiv posted:

It depends on what we're talking about. Your angry misguided detachment from reality (democrats are murderers) is the exact thing that made it possible for the rural working class to delude themselves into championing a Manhattan real estate salesman because he tickled their ideological nerve centers the right way.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

asdf32 posted:

It depends on what we're talking about. Your angry misguided detachment from reality (democrats are murderers) is the exact thing that made it possible for the rural working class to delude themselves into championing a Manhattan real estate salesman because he tickled their ideological nerve centers the right way.

i never argued dems are murderers :confused:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

i never argued dems are murderers :confused:

you're a murderer

you murdered hope :mad:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
maybe if you dont think the dems are lesser evils, dont start a thread accepting that premise in the title?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Despera posted:

Then why start this idiotic thread? Oh because you are an attention whore.

yeah this is pretty much it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Condiv posted:

the left sucked it up too. last i checked, around 95% of bernie supporters voted for clinton. hillary just didn't pull in enough of anyone else. cause she didn't have a platform worth a drat and she was basically running as 8 more years. it was her election to lose and she lost it by her own actions.

She had a pretty good platform, but yeah she did a loving terrible job of actually selling it, and in times of discontent a steady hand at the helm isn't always what people want even if you can convince them you can provide it. I sure agree she and her campaign hosed up horrifically.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Vote Dem, try to primary bad Dems. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Lord posted:

Vote Dem, try to primary bad Dems. Problem solved.

yeah these loving threads always pretend primaries dont exist and/or losing a primary means the evil centrists cheated you instead of that your ideas or candidates are not as popular as you thought

• Locked thread