Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Condiv posted:

assuming the next dem is macron-like (and why wouldn't I? democrat supreme obama endorsed macron) and wants to dismantle every social program he/she can the second they hit office, should i bother voting for this lesser evil? seems to me like lesser-evilism is just being a loving idiot and supporting evil

is there a reason i should vote for the new, extra-racist, extra-elitist dems?

So you don't like democracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Condiv posted:

They hardly fought for it cause they figured they'd get re-elected and then the republicans would just have to give them the SC seat. Just sad as hell.

Where do you get that idiotic idea?

Canditades moving towards the center to maximize votes, incrementalism and an opposition trying to do things you don't want is what democracy looks like.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

What garbage. Just because it is doesn't mean it has to be.

Yes it does. First I should have specified constitutional democracy. Your counterparts on the right just got their dream and elected a guy who wants to ban immigrants, build a wall and repeal obamacare. He's trying to do all three but is so far failing because of the constitutional checks in the system which are specifically designed to constrain change and we should all be counting our blessings that they're there. And they have to be for a real life system to function.

Second the will of 300 million people doesn't change rapidly.

Condiv posted:

:lol: no that's what centrist ideology looks like and it's idiotic as hell

i'm a leftist. oddly enough that doesn't mean i'm anti-democratic, nor are centrists the party of democracy you loon

When you think huge swaths of your fellow citizens are evil that's not really democratic.

MikeCrotch posted:

If moving to the centre and incrementalism are how you win votes, why is Donald Trump president?

Trump is a threat to democracy and also isn't succeeding at the things voters want him to be doing (except the mental adolescents who voted entirely to stick it to the elites'). Hence why I'm against naive populism which the left seems to be looking at and saying "I want that too".

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Condiv posted:

but the dems turn left faster if there are less centrists to fight against us tooth and nail. and waiting for centrists to wake the gently caress up isn't really an option anymore. besides, centrists have already shown they are willing to withhold support from candidates that aren't centrist approved enough. that's why they wasted millions on ossoff who showed a worse turnout than a guy who didn't actually exist, and let a bunch of other more promising races go completely unfunded and unsupported. if they can afford to lose races in order to keep us at bay, then they can afford to lose a few more races.

That's politics and when you're on the extreme everyone fights you. That should be obvious.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Condiv posted:

hmm, i don't think i'm extreme at all. just leftist. dunno why centrists think that's extreme, other than leftists don't like kings and nobles. :shrug:

More simply the confusion you have is solved by most people like you by returning to reality (vote d) or detaching completely from reality and becoming a Marxist.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

So the dems have changed significantly since the last time you voted for them?

It's like my trump guy at work who used to vote d but is convinced that Hilary is something new and special (she's not) and she's the reason he can't vote d anymore rather than the reality which is that he discovered facebook and followed click-bait off the ideological deep end.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Condiv posted:

they've changed, but i've also become aware that the dems are only paying lipservice to the left at best and really don't want to move leftwards.

i voted for the dems in the past cause i thought they wanted to move leftwards and were working towards increasing the appeal of leftist policy to everyone. then hillary took a big steaming dump on singlepayer

So you're filled with dumb expectations because single payer was never close. You're like the guy who'se getting fed up with republicans and is vowing to vote libertarian next time because Trump didn't immediately and completely repeal Obamacare and build a wall (even though only an idiot expected those things to actually happen).

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Condiv posted:

i think at the point where we're literally voting for murderer politicians we can cut the lesser evil crap and choose not to indulge in that farce.

The phrase murder is meaningless here - every choice that's ever existed in politics has had life and death consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Condiv posted:

it's doubtful i'm the reason why trump is president. also, i'm not helping republicans by not voting for democrats. the democrats don't own my vote, and if they want it they can run non-poo poo tier candidates.

the dsa and ourrevolution is already doing a good job. if the dems can learn from keith ellison they'll be able to win back my vote

It depends on what we're talking about. Your angry misguided detachment from reality (democrats are murderers) is the exact thing that made it possible for the rural working class to delude themselves into championing a Manhattan real estate salesman because he tickled their ideological nerve centers the right way.

• Locked thread