Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Electoral politics are not the only form of politics, there is nothing wrong with not voting as long as you are engaging in politics in other ways you think are more meaningful or effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cicero posted:

I know Hillary was a very flawed candidate, but her platform for the 2016 election didn't seem very gently caress the poor to me. Higher minimum wage, paid maternity leave, much cheaper/more subsidized state college, etc.

Hillary's message was essentially that the status quo was fine, it just needs tinkering with via a few schemes. $12.50 minimum wage, cheaper college etc. "America Is Already Great", after all.

There are masses of poorer Americans who feel, very justifiably, that the current system is completely stacked against them. A candidate that basically only appeals to people who are doing OK right now is not going to win the votes of the the massive numbers of disillusioned poor people out there, as Hillary didn't (in the right states) in 2016.

The test for the Democrats being a true party of the poor instead of the least-bad option will be the minute they actually go against corporate and wealthy interests to implement something that benefits working class people. So far that hasn't happened.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

asdf32 posted:

Canditades moving towards the center to maximize votes, incrementalism and an opposition trying to do things you don't want is what democracy looks like.

If moving to the centre and incrementalism are how you win votes, why is Donald Trump president?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
If the Dems were actually serious about winning they would adopt single payer tomorrow, since something like ~80% of Americans approve of it.

The fact that Nancy Pelosi et.al are digging their heels in over it just goes to show that they don't actually care about improving anyone's lives or even winning as long as they stay in their positions.

• Locked thread