Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I know Hillary was a very flawed candidate, but her platform for the 2016 election didn't seem very gently caress the poor to me. Higher minimum wage, paid maternity leave, much cheaper/more subsidized state college, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Hillary's message was essentially that the status quo was fine, it just needs tinkering with via a few schemes. $12.50 minimum wage, cheaper college etc. "America Is Already Great", after all.

There are masses of poorer Americans who feel, very justifiably, that the current system is completely stacked against them. A candidate that basically only appeals to people who are doing OK right now is not going to win the votes of the the massive numbers of disillusioned poor people out there, as Hillary didn't (in the right states) in 2016.

The test for the Democrats being a true party of the poor instead of the least-bad option will be the minute they actually go against corporate and wealthy interests to implement something that benefits working class people. So far that hasn't happened.
I don't really disagree, she was obviously an incrementalist, but the proposed policies would still have moved things in the right direction, at least, assuming she followed through (which I realize is itself debatable).

edit: also the poor people that are really screwed are the ones in rural areas, and as discussed in the rural poverty thread there's no obvious solution there for their economic woes (other than 'move somewhere else') from either the left or right.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 4, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

"well one guy will kill a hundred people and the other will kill ten thousand people, so really both of them are exactly the same and there's no point in me leaving my parents basement to involve myself with the outside world in any way"
It's more like "well we're already killing a hundred poor people a day, one side wants to halve it and the other wants to double it. Since neither wants to stop it completely I guess that means they're the same."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Not true, socially we've made a lot of progress, gay rights being the most obvious example.

• Locked thread