Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bill Hick's new Alex Jones persona is even more annoying, and he still does the yelling thing.

I mean, get a new shtick dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Hicks seemed more restrained or less sensationalized by the media than other controversial comics of the mid-80s/mid-90s like Kinison, Dice and Murphy. I'm not sure if Martin Lawrence, Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock sort of fall into that same era or mark a delineation between that era and their own.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

at the start of one of his shows he brags about banging his wifes(?) 16 year old sister and he looks like danny devito penguin stole whoopie goldbergs clothes

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you follow Kinison's career, you can see how the drugs took over and fulled his onstage persona. Other than Andrew Dice Clay I don't know of any other comedian at the time that you could compare him to since he was more like a rock star. And then he also did things like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwNW8lqe1tk

I'm an old fan of Howard Stern and Kinison was a major part of the show back in 89-90. You can dig up various YouTube clips but he best ones are Jessica Hahn (she's the girl in that video...and yes they were loving for a while) tells a story of Sam getting so hosed up one night and making GBS threads the bed in the morning. There is also another story were people where concerned with Sam's health and wanted him to eat better. He finally agreed and said something like, "You know, I'll try to eat more vegetables. Waiter! Bring be two helpings and creamed spinach."

I've not listed to his albums in a while (I was around 16 when they came out) but I'm sure they don't hold up well. I don't even think they are still in print.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Cocaine made some loving terrible acts famous

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
peepee hurt, time to die

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tom Gorman posted:

Back to School is funny poo poo that still holds up today, imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hn9xAaKUbw

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The last of the great Outlaw comics. Neither drugs, drink or women could stop him. It took a Chrysler to take him out.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

remember that one routine he did where he yelled the whole time? that was classic

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the people comparing Sam to Andrew Dice dont know what the gently caress they are talking

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The content was different but the controversy surrounding them was sort of the same. It's sort of like comparing the late 80s/early 90s satanic metal acts, Madonna and rappers acts and some of the mainstream reaction they were getting for imagery or language.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWzI_Wn0ZwM

ahahaha

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dice is a bigot and an unfunny piece of poo poo

Kinison was political incorrect

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I saw some bits here and there and they were pretty good. I didn't like the constant screaming after a while but I think Sober Kinison was probably better. Kinison gave Norm his start too and I love that he brought us that.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

Dice is a bigot and an unfunny piece of poo poo

Kinison was political incorrect
is the retarded phrase "politically incorrect" the best description youre willing to offer or what
jokes that would make you the edgiest kid on the playground was the level of both of them

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gary oldmans diary posted:

is the retarded phrase "politically incorrect" the best description youre willing to offer or what
jokes that would make you the edgiest kid on the playground was the level of both of them

dice bit on aids is legit disgusting, show me some kinison material on that level

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
It's not so much that I miss kinisons material itself as much as I miss people being allowed to have politically incorrect material these days.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Dice was the good angry dick comic, I never "got" kinison or hicks.

LOL GET hosed UP AND RANT SO WACKY!!!!

but i mean it was the late 80s early 90s and cocaine pervaded the comedy industry (as with many other industries) so i guess they get a pass for their geeked-out rants.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
yes let me just peruse the poo poo smear acts of stand-up comedy to find just the right peanut

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alcoholic Hicks is awesome

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
i feel like this thread materializes approximately quarterly

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I watched his 1989 "Family Entertainment Hour" concert video way back when and thought it was funny at the time but I rewatched it on Netflix and boy it doesn't hold up

He was always funny on Letterman

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gilbert gottfried s dice impression is funny

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dice and Kinison are similar in that they both had rockstar personas. However absolutely nothing of dice holds up except for laughing AT the ludicrous persona which as far as I can apprehend does not appear to be ironic in any meaningful sense (perhaps I am a broke brained goon?$. There is still some Kennison stuff that is good.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lmao watch the quoted link first until the nursery rhymes stop then watch the following

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ftMb7wLrqsw

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I sort of wonder if Kinison would have ended up going down the Eddie Murphy route of doing family comedy stuff and just have random meltdowns.

Sam Kinison as Dr. Claw in the Inspector Gadget movie.

"I'll get you next time, Gadget! NEXT TIME! OH-OHHHHHHHH!!!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Andrew Dice Clay is the Donald Trump of Comedy when it comes to CNN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlLslb-Royo (F-bombs, so :nws:)

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JediTalentAgent posted:

Andrew Dice Clay is the Donald Trump of Comedy when it comes to CNN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlLslb-Royo (F-bombs, so :nws:)

lol, win.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Well that video sucked OP, I'm guessing you'd probably like Bobcat Goldthwait's standup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qAfWWQJ5w&t=5s

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The Kinison or the Diceman? Why not both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5r8g9Lm-KE

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cephalectomy posted:

It's not so much that I miss kinisons material itself as much as I miss people being allowed to have politically incorrect material these days.
i want to believe that politically incorrect comedy will make a comeback within reason, but this phase of "important comedy" that we're living through just won't go away. it makes up most of comedy central's new shows this year

norm macdonald once made fun of bill hicks for being important rather than funny, and now that's every act

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

CAN U FEEL IT YEAH posted:

remember that one routine he did where he yelled the whole time? that was classic

Doesn't ring a bell, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Oh good. He's still dead. I saw the thread title and got a little frightened.

• Locked thread