Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

1. Claim your game is some awesome open world sandbox like UO and eve.

2. Cash in on your kick starter.

3. Add modes to allow people to not have to leave the safe haven and risk losing gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpticalRape
Nov 26, 2010
https://clips.twitch.tv/TransparentWiseQueleaTooSpicy

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Keegers posted:

1. Claim your game is some awesome open world sandbox like UO and eve.

2. Cash in on your kick starter.

3. Add modes to allow people to not have to leave the safe haven and risk losing gear.

I think the idea for the arenas is to give people a legit way to practice GvG's.... if 5v5 is a core component of their game, its kinda weird to make it so inaccessible to everyone. That being said -- I kind of wish there were a limit on the number of arenas you could do OR make it so you have to farm a resource only availabnle in blackzones to use them.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Arena isn't going to kill open world pvp. For one this game is bad and the 5v5 format is boring and terrible.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

BadLlama posted:

Arena isn't going to kill open world pvp. For one this game is bad and the 5v5 format is boring and terrible.

Gotta remember at the same time theyre adding arenas, theyre buffing open world and adding open world content too... for example, you will be able to control territories through open world, not just through GvG.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

FormerFatty posted:

Gotta remember at the same time theyre adding arenas, theyre buffing open world and adding open world content too... for example, you will be able to control territories through open world, not just through GvG.

Two years too late

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

Two years too late

Did you guys play all the betas? I think that probably explains the burnout some people have -- you guys were legit playing an unfinished beta for 3 years.... fun game and all but I could never grind over and over knowing it was getting wiped.

Game is far from dead -- though I wouldnt mind if there were a few less OJs sometimes:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

FormerFatty posted:

Did you guys play all the betas?

almost nothing has changed between the betas and now, other than some dumb gimmicks that took away from the game itself.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

almost nothing has changed between the betas and now, other than some dumb gimmicks that took away from the game itself.

Thats what Im saying -- a lot of the "beta" players are complaining the game sucks because youve probably been killing the same dudes and doing the same grind for 3 years now... although i killed dudes in UO for 20 years; something about drinking salty tears from someone I just ganked never gets old to me.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Good thing they got your playtime out of it right? Also I'm detecting lots of hyperbole in this statement.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

Which fishing boat were you on :smuggo:

Sorry I don't read this garbage thread much. I missed this burn. In all honesty I doubt you ever killed me or were even capable of doing so. Way to act like you don't care about something you so frantically post about. What's new?

Also I take back part of what I said about you in Archeage. You were alright for a few weeks then you got some wind in your sails, a couple lackeys and thought you were the puppet master of goons. Again... what's new?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Opinionated posted:

Good thing they got your playtime out of it right? Also I'm detecting lots of hyperbole in this statement.

People enjoy being melodramatic and take videogames too seriously, that's all.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Torabi posted:

People enjoy being melodramatic and take videogames too seriously, that's all.

Albion Online > IRL

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
Albion Online with Goons: the gift that never stops giving...

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny how everyone kinda shoots themselves in the foot by demonizing goon guilds in pvp games as trash bad noob hitlers, which just increases their perceived injury when we kill them.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

FormerFatty posted:

Thats what Im saying -- a lot of the "beta" players are complaining the game sucks because youve probably been killing the same dudes and doing the same grind for 3 years now... although i killed dudes in UO for 20 years; something about drinking salty tears from someone I just ganked never gets old to me.

He's not wrong in the fact that they basically built 3 games in the span of 2-3 years. So basically we played a slightly different game each time. The problem they have is that they have zero other content once you get out of "killing dudes". They have a MMO with no MMO, and that's their problem. All they have is a bad moba gameplay engine with multiplayer. There is no content or nothing to do. I would probably be playing the game still if there was something to do other than grinding to +betterrererer gear. Litterally nothing is different about anything in the game except a magic TIER VIII grats.

Bad mmo design all around. I tried for years to get it changed and they simply wouldn't listen and felt that balancing hammer damage, and adding flagging was clearly the key to victory.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

forge posted:

He's not wrong in the fact that they basically built 3 games in the span of 2-3 years. So basically we played a slightly different game each time. The problem they have is that they have zero other content once you get out of "killing dudes". They have a MMO with no MMO, and that's their problem. All they have is a bad moba gameplay engine with multiplayer. There is no content or nothing to do. I would probably be playing the game still if there was something to do other than grinding to +betterrererer gear. Litterally nothing is different about anything in the game except a magic TIER VIII grats.

Bad mmo design all around. I tried for years to get it changed and they simply wouldn't listen and felt that balancing hammer damage, and adding flagging was clearly the key to victory.

What content does any sandbox MMO have outside of kill dudes and stacking coins? Isnt the whole idea that you create your own content(castles) in the game(sandbox)?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

FormerFatty posted:

What content does any sandbox MMO have outside of kill dudes and stacking coins? Isnt the whole idea that you create your own content(castles) in the game(sandbox)?

yeah, that requires sand in the sandbox. gimme a reason to go out there and I will, and how the game develops out of objectives is what drives sandbox content.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

yeah, that requires sand in the sandbox. gimme a reason to go out there and I will, and how the game develops out of objectives is what drives sandbox content.

Sand = PVP, e-politics, territory control, controlling resources/dungeons -- I dunno, itd be one thing if there was no PVP to be found but theres tons of it... Im stil unsure of what kind of content youre looking for? Theres content for small groups and big groups -- you guys all solo players?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Yeah but there is no drive for anything in the open world, except for mindless pvp. The pvp in this game is super simple and easy, there isn't anything to fight over in an open world environment that's worth anything. There is no reason to fight, other than to fight itself.

That just means there's no depth or thought in the game.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah but there is no drive for anything in the open world, except for mindless pvp. The pvp in this game is super simple and easy, there isn't anything to fight over in an open world environment that's worth anything. There is no reason to fight, other than to fight itself.

That just means there's no depth or thought in the game.

yea I mean if I got cornholed by arch trash gatecamps every time I tried to do anything I wouldn't leave the city either...

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

soy posted:

yea I mean if I got cornholed by arch trash gatecamps every time I tried to do anything I wouldn't leave the city either...

i think i had a 13 to one fame ratio before the devs reset my killboard stats because I killed my alt with like 2 million fame...

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 20, 2017

OpticalRape
Nov 26, 2010

soy posted:

arch is such a joke.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
arena combat... just lol

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

i think i had a 13 to one fame ratio before the devs reset my killboard stats because I killed my alt with like 2 million fame...

That's kind of stupid honestly, but I guess with such a tiny playerbase devs have time to micro manage everyone's fame :wooper:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
At the end of beta, my character REPLOSS in cougs had a 24:1 kill/death ratio. Ratios and stats in this game are garbage and mean nothing.

The simple fact that they have zero content in an mmo is still their problem. People will pick it up for a week, get to T4, and wonder why they continue to play to get to a magic tier 5 which is no different. 1v1 in T8 is exactly the same as 1v1 in T4. So really what is the point..?

The main problem in this game is exactly what 1001 said. There is nothing to do except go looking for fights. So by that fact, they're dull as gently caress. It's just a bunch of people running around looking to kill other people, and the 5 casual gathers. Because of this, there is nothing really organic that happens in this make believe sandbox. It's basically a box with no sand and a few toys (pvp) in it. There is no way to change the game into something you want other than to play with those same toys.

On top of this they are dumb enough to instance a sandbox, which has lead to reduced pvp encounters since people were allowed to tier up to T8 sitting in town. The PvP Arena will only degrade black pvp to the point of mass zergs fighting only over timers. The rest of the population will slowly decay into non existence like it was in betas. Everyone else will be in arenas touting their elite win ratios, and the goon guild(s) will be left to zerg in black when they can find them and talk about how they are best in stats or something.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

So, basically it's exactly what a few of us were vocal about predicting from the start even though we were told we were wrong. :smuggo:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Kimsemus posted:

So, basically it's exactly what a few of us were vocal about predicting from the start even though we were told we were wrong. :smuggo:

i think youll find that most people agreed that the game was shallow. what we disagreed on was whether or not to have hope that SI was going to add sand because it looked like SI was trying and it cost us nothing but our free time to find out

but that truth i just wrote doesnt let you smugly post one-liners or let me be a shitter and snipe back at you :smu,ghbert:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
nice meltdown :boom:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

nice meltdown :boom:

Friend Blazing, I think you've witnessed enough of my actual meltdowns to know when I'm melting down and when I'm smugposting. Though to be fair there if you err on the side of meltdown, you might not be wrong :wooper:

But in a more substantive vein, I had a lot of hope that SI would have added more sandbox content, but after their MLG420N0SCOPE direction with 5v5 that they were vehemently adhering to and instancing was increasing, I had a feeling they wouldn't go that way.

The double edged sword is when the grind was high, there was something to do to fill in the content gaps, but many didn't want to grind. Now the grind is reduced, but they didn't plug the gap with more content.
-
It's the EVE Online quandary, which isn't shocking considering how much SI was open about emulating CCP's formula -- the fights themselves in both games are fun, but the poo poo you have to do in between and prepping for fights is boring and awful.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 20, 2017

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Kimsemus posted:

You have this weird need to be right about everything even though this is an internet thread about a game that nobody should really care about. It's sad and weird.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

forge posted:

Everyone else will be in arenas touting their elite win ratios, and the goon guild(s) will be left to zerg in black when they can find them and talk about how they are best in stats or something.

Don't worry, our stats will never be good!

There have been so many attempts on here and reddit to define elements of sand box metaphors that I am really starting to think maybe if you have to explain your symbolism that it's bad symbolism.

The grind is still pretty harsh and is the primary motivator to get out into black zones right now. It's funny how many people ragequit before even reaching 100 focus in a single weapon and then quit and complain saying the game is dead blah blah when they will probably just resub in a few months after the first couple content patches.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

a dingus posted:

You have this weird need to be right about everything even though this is an internet thread about a game that nobody should really care about. It's sad and weird.

no debate or discussion allowed on internet forums in threads that exist for the discussion of games

I forgot that in the year of our lord 2017 SA needs to be a safe space where everyone gets a trophy even when time and experience proves them wrong, you can go back to GBS if this upsets you, but groupthink isn't enforced here.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kimsemus posted:

no debate or discussion allowed on internet forums in threads that exist for the discussion of games

I forgot that in the year of our lord 2017 SA needs to be a safe space where everyone gets a trophy even when time and experience proves them wrong, you can go back to GBS if this upsets you, but groupthink isn't enforced here.

Nice meltdown

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

a dingus posted:

Nice meltdown

> Rants angrily about other person being right, offers no contribution other than that
> Accuses other person of meltdown

:ok:

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kimsemus posted:

> Rants angrily about other person being right, offers no contribution other than that
> Accuses other person of meltdown

:ok:

Nice meltdown

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Oh hey the Albion thread has a bunch of po-

Never mind.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

To be fair, you sperged out and posted all your complaints and got banned long before any of the aforementioned items were added (instancing, most of the gvg system changes,openworldpvp objectives, towngvg). So you can't play Nostradamus on things which weren't even in existence.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

forge posted:

So you can't play Nostradamus on things which weren't even in existence.

Or can he :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

forge posted:

To be fair, you sperged out and posted all your complaints and got banned long before any of the aforementioned items were added (instancing, most of the gvg system changes,openworldpvp objectives, towngvg). So you can't play Nostradamus on things which weren't even in existence.

Implying I had one account

or maybe I just have common sense and don't suspend my disbelief because I desperately want something to be true. :toot: