Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Where are the round things? I love those...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They tried to act like Dreamland was like a core and fundamental part of that season too...and it wasn't. It was a cool side story; but not critical.

Same with those 11 Doctor Adventure games getting billed as "Like episodes 14-17 of Series 5!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I hope we get a TARDIS redesign soon. I love the late-11/12 console room...but I like it when it changes up

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I think Chibnall will change a whole ton, and the console room will be included. I hope the theme son gets a lot less busy but includes, in some form, a picture of Thirteen's face.

If its still Murray Gold, its not gonna get less busy. He knows not the meaning of subtlety

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

No regeneration filmed = another season of Capaldi! :toot:

Man, maybe they really are trying to keep it secret til Christmas?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I can never decide if it is good news or bad news when I own everything on a sale

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

xtothez posted:

I'm not sure I want to live on this planet anymore

For all the good it'll do, I reported that as a "threat of violence" and a "threat of self-harm"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am hoping against hope that the rumored favorites are all wrong and the next Doctor will be an openly gay woman of color, if only to revel in the wailing and gnashing of teeth that it will cause among these lovely loving fans.

So you want Bill Potts to be the Doctor? I'm okay with this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/sawboneshex/status/886613052447129601

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Meltdowns, get your meltdowns here!

https://twitter.com/mjrobbins/status/886610394827173888

Meltdowns, hot off the presses!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm the Yankeest of yanks. Gimme dollars

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FiftySeven posted:

Before I say this, I am gonna just preface it with that I couldnt care less if the doctor was a woman or not, so long as they are good I am good.

My facebook and twitter feed is full of people all going "LOOK AT ALL THE MALE TEARS"... but Honestly? I havent see any of that. All I see on my twitter feed is people either talking about male tears or saying how good Jodie Whittacker is. Am I just following the wrong/right people or are people kind of gloating about an extreme minority they imagine to be much bigger?

Go look at the public comments on the Facebook announcement or the public replies to the tweet. SO MANY TEARS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A goon take:

https://twitter.com/gen_ironicus/status/886618031522230274

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mind Loving Owl posted:

The only reason I'm at all skeptical about this is that I'm worried there'll be an endless barrage of awkward, unfunny jokes. Otherwise, cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried that the show is going to lampshade it too hard...but if they can avoid that, I'm all for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

As America's center-left crumbles away, I sometimes find myself on the right of Tumblr-generated cultural issues like this (but still on the left of actual important social issues). But wouldn't you know it, my world did not end.

We'll see whether the show continues to avoid the weird soap opera dynamic it escaped from by going old.

Pretty sure there were females in television shows before tumblr was invented, champ.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In "older Doctors chiming in" news:

https://twitter.com/4sylvestermccoy/status/886648080753451008

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wish the haters would just admit "yes, I'm a huge sexist and I hate it when women are in things I like" instead of blustering around acting like the character of the Doctor has ever hinged on "having a space dick" in the past.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

I am excited by the choice for the new Dr. Who

I also continue to be baffled by what socially conservative fans are actually getting out of the show

Just call them sexists. "Socially conservative" sounds way too nice haha.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
True enough.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Yvonmukluk posted:

I really want the regeneration to happen while Twelve is in the middle of saving Gallifrey in Day of the Doctor so Thirteen will have participated in the 50th Anniversary story. Also to enrage the nerds even more.

I kind of hope that we'd get to see 10, 11 & War show up to recruit both One and Twelve for that mission. Then I remember that John Hurt's no longer with us. :smith:

Solution: surprise 9 cameo!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Looke posted:

Have they started #notmydoctor yet?

Oh my yes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Re: Davison possibly being down on the idea of a female Doctor. Here's his only tweet on the topic so far:

https://twitter.com/peterdavison5/status/886741000810627072

While I agree that being encouraging toward those who are concerned is good....that complete ignores the people who skipped way past "concerned" and straight toward "hostile and sexist".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Much like with the 2016 Ghostbusters reimagining, I do worry about how criticism toward Whittaker's Doctor, Chibnall, Series 11 overall, etc will be taken.

I want people to be able to express disappointment with an episode without any disagreement being attributed to sexism. Thankfully today in the wake of the announcement, I've mostly seen trepidation based on Whittaker's actual acting history taken seriously...but I worry that "if you don't think she's the best Doctor ever, you're just an outdated misogynist" will get tossed around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cruel Rose posted:

Trevor Baxter's died. So long, Professor Litefoot.

This is just terrible...I wanted to see him back in an episode of Modern Who like Chris Benjamin got to do a few years ago.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

It seems like recently he regrets leaving the show. Kind of sucks that he wouldn't even consider taking part in the 50th.

That runs contrary to what we've heard...apparently he did consider it, but elected not to.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.salon.com/2017/07/17/jodie-whittaker-doctor-who-the-sun/

Well that sure didn't take long.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

toanoradian posted:

Man, I thought I made sure my YouTube isn't part of the anti-PC crowd.

It continues to baffle me that people will proudly declare how much they hate respecting others.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If nothing else, a female James Bond would cement the "it's a code name" thing for real.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah that bundle is absolutely worth it for the Doctor sourcebooks alone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
amiibo you say? I can think of only one person to star in that show! Me!

Jerusalem posted:

I think the last boxset is (unfortunately) the one where the series finally started to live up to the promise of the utter batshit insanity of the Time War, though it relies on pre-established characterization/events from the other audios for the relationship between the Doctor and Ollistra to really hit home. They're all perfectly listenable but the first three suffer a bit in that they feel like you could easily slot any other incarnation of the Doctor into 80% of the events of the stories and it wouldn't feel out of place. You could argue this is intentional since the War Doctor's insistence he doesn't deserve the name Doctor is meant to be inaccurate, but in my opinion there should still be some point of distinction between him and the other incarnations - for the most part none of the horrible things he does stands outside the range of actions the other Doctors could (or have) done in the past.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the Doctor to suddenly be a vengeful god or anything...but the War Doctor just feels like any other Doctor, except grumpy about it.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 20, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

I always got the feeling that while the Doctor's very inspiring to people they directly interact, with they've gotta be this terrifying, unknowable and suspicious figure to the people just outside of that, and Swinton would be an amazing Doctor for that.

Yeah, a lot of big popular heroes are like this, and I love it when they take the time to do a story that actually spells it out. My go-to is usually the Jedi. So much Star Wars media is focused on them or people working closely with them, that its sometimes a shock when you realize "Oh yeah, these people just roll up out of nowhere with their laser swords and mind powers and sometimes take babies away", and what that must look like to the layperson.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

toanoradian posted:

I wanted Matt Smith to do audio stuff with Big Finish like Tennant did, but I'm not sure how much of his tics will translate to non-visual medium.

I have to imagine Smith will turn up for an audio at some point. Probably more of a scheduling thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Big Finish is bring back books

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We are sadly 2 for 3 on Peters having lovely opinions.

While Capaldi is good and pure, Purves says casting a woman is "horrifying", and Davison is just oh so concerned about the loss of a good role model for boys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Other than the whole "but what about a role model for boys!!!" thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Wait

Was there a Dalek story this last season? Season 10?

I don't think there was. I don't remember one

There was a cameo of a Dalek (and some Movellans) in the Pilot

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Slowpoke! posted:

I've been rewatching Capaldi's run and it doesn't really surprise me they picked a female Doctor given the amount of softening up we've gotten the past few years. First the Master regens into Missy, then in Hell bent we see the General regent into a woman (and she quips about being a man like she had previously been a woman before), then this past season the Doctor mentions offhand that the Master had previously been a woman. This was set up for at least three years, so not a shock at all (though obviously they could gone either way).

And don't forget the mention of the Corsair, back in 11's run.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it means only leaving 198 left?

The literal definition of decimate is to destroy/kill/whatever one in ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That's a good sale. David Warner is good.

• Locked thread