Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Its gonna be Andy Murray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Box of Bunnies posted:

Comedy option: John Cena. His time is now :v:

I've thought about it, but I just cant see him.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Has it ever been the bookies favourite? I'm honestly asking, I'm pretty sure Capaldi and Smith both were suprise casting (and int he case of Smith not many people even knew who the hell he was), but I dont really remember when tennant was cast if he was a name being bandied about beforehand. If the BBC publish an article saying "here are the likely prospects" then yeah, I'd personally be inclined to think "so this is a list of people it definitely isnt".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For the record, both Marvel and DC actually have characters called "Wonder Man" already.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cerv posted:

a bit late to be responding to the finale, but there's something that really bugged me.

Bill would rather die than "live" as a cyberman. existence as a reanimated corpse trapped inside a metal suit is worse than death. one of the better points of the episode, and shows they had a grasp of the cyberman concept. not like certain 80s episodes that were just moon boots and 'excellent's
contrast this to two years ago when "the brigadier will live on as a cyberman" was considered a loving tribute to the character and Nicholas Courtney instead of just crass and stupid.

ugh

Different characters reacting to things different ways? A career military man who underwent cyberconversion while dead being fine with essentially existing to serve and protect vs a university student in her early 20s who'd just undergone horrific trauma? Two entirely different cyberconversion processes to different models of cybermen (notably Bills version being maybe 2 hardware revisions on from the ones that literally begged for death)?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Doctor interrogates the top half of a wrecked Dalek in either the penultimate season six episode or the finale.

Penultimate season 6 episode is "Closing Time", with stormageddon and the cybermen, the finale is "the wedding of river song", and I have no memory of seeing it, but according to a quick google "Series 6 is the first series of the 2005-present revival not to include Daleks, save for a cameo appearance by the Supreme Dalek in the finale. ".

Has the bbc/nation estate "There must be a dalek every season" thing ever been confirmed or is it still just a rumor? In any case if it is a thing and they counted "Cameo in the finale" then they shouldnt have a problem with "speaking role in the first episode" of this season. If it is a thing I wish it wasnt, I feel like most Doctor Who villains suffer if they have too much repetition (See; Angels, Weeping and Silence, The), Daleks feel like more of a threat if they arent a thing he defeats once a year, every year.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Slowpoke! posted:

I have no idea who any of these actors are half the time a Doctor casting rumor pops up, but I always laugh when I see big name actors like Tilda Swinton floated. The BBC can't even consistently put a new 13 episode season on the air every 12 months. There's no way they'd land a movie star for the role.

But yeah so far I've enjoyed every NuWho Doctor. Eccelson less than others, but I was hooked after watching series 1 so he clearly did his job. I doubt they'll gently caress up with casting Jodie Whittaker.

I mean, I take your general point, but you do know that Christopher Eccleston was in movies before he was the Doctor? 28 Days Later and Gone in 60 Seconds off the top of my head, so not just zero budget zero impact british movies either. Also in the interests of pure pedantry one of the main things I know jodie whittaker from is "Attack the Block" which was a movie in which she starred. But that one is admitttedly a bit more of a niche british film (which had success, but not as much as I feel like it should have). In all fairness to people who predict really unlikely big hollywood stars, the demarcation between "TV Actor" and "Movie Actor" isnt nearly as defined as it used to be, with various "prestige miniseries" attracting a reasonably big name actor for various reasons (not always financial either).

Personally I'm on the record as being skeptical of any actor whose name is bandied about before an announcement, because its pretty much never who everyone says its going to be.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Chokes McGee posted:

I've never understood why they do regeneration cliffhangers if it's very public knowledge the next doctor hasn't been picked yet, especially if it's mid season

like you would have to live under a rock to not know by now the next doctor is always accompanied by fanfare and mass outbreak of complaints

Just seems like it's cheapening the plot device. It used to be this super dramatic turning point, now Twelve is just tossing around regeneration energy because why not.

Kids still watch doctor who, don't they? They oftentimes remain unaware of many backstage events and casting decisions, so regeneration cliffhangers still work on them. Teasing that the hero is going to die when the writers are plainly not going to kill off the title character halfway through the story is as old as serialised storytelling, the difference is that sometimes the doctor glows a bit to really sell it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

2house2fly posted:

When Missy stabs him he says "so now I'll regenerate into you?" and she says "welcome to the sisterhood" which isn't directly showing a scene of it happening but it's p close

If they want to fit another master or two in before Missy then that could have been her just loving with the Master. I mean, I dont think that would be a good idea, but they could do it if they wanted.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I am honestly more surprised by this than I was by Jodie Whittaker.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm probably not going to word this well, but I kind of feel like the worst (and also laziest) way to go with the regeneration would be to play it as "Male character wakes up in female body". You know the kind of thing, pantomimed exaggerated patting at crotch to confirm lack of testicles, a quick look down the front of the shirt to confirm breasts, makes a couple of "Well, at least now I might be willing to ask for directions! I'm going to need a bigger wardrobe!" jokes etc. It would be easy to play for cheap dated "comedy" and I would like to think they wont go anywhere near that direction. To me it shouldnt be "Male character wakes up in female body" any more than you could say "Matt Smith woke up in Peter Capaldis body". That isnt how we've seen The Doctors regenerations work, when he became Capaldi (or Smith, or Tennant) then Capaldi woke up in Capaldis body, just for the first time.

I'm kind of hoping that they just dont make more of a mention of it than another item on a checklist "No attack eyebrows. Woman this time. Kidneys... Actually not too bad. Hair hasnt been this long in a while. Who do I have to kill to be ginger, just once?" then the Doctor gets on with her day. We've seen other time lords regenerate and change gender without it being a particularly big deal, it would seem weird to me if it is a big deal for the Doctor.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Doctor posted:

The Moffat era seemed to mention kidneys a lot. It was weird.

Yeah, honestly it was funny the first time, but then got a bit old and would need at least 2 more doctors to circle back round to funny again. I was just grasping for things to be on the checklist more than actually wanting the kidneys to get a shout out again.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mymla posted:

I dunno, I think that's pretty much exactly what it is.

Its not, its "I'll always remember when The Doctor was me". Its shown as, in a real sense, the death of the previous doctor ("I don't want to go"), not just a new face and wardrobe. Capaldi knew for a fact that HE was the doctor, he was just a) unsure exactly what type of doctor he was going to be and b) insecure about Clara preferring the previous version. I'd accept that in some cases the personalities of the old and new doctors are slightly blended for a short time, in universe because the doctor almost always has a traumatic regeneration, out of universe because it takes them a while to find the new "voice" for the character, but it is an immediate change. Eccleston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi were all the doctor, but they were all different doctors in pretty much every way. Same memories, different personalities, viewpoints, likes and dislikes as well as the obvious physical differences. This isnt so much different actors playing the same character as it is different actors playing different characters who happen to share the same life and experiences.

As an aside, I dont know why I'm referring to them by actor rather than number, but I am and I'm not going back and changing it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, "The new doctor will get a revamped sonic screwdriver" is about much news as "The new doctor will get their own costume" at this point.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CommonShore posted:

My problem with TV Geniuses is that they're basically (as someone put it maybe on this forum somewhere) a stupid person's version of what a smart person does. They see a problem and they genius at it until by magic the answer appears. Moffat's Sherlock might as well be a carnival fortune teller machine which spits out a card reading the foreigner did it.

Thats literally every incarnation of Sherlock Holmes, from the original text onwards. Except sometimes the card is more specific and says "Pygmies, Watson!"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Isn't there a spoiler thread

I'm not empty quoting this, I'm just concerned that people didnt see it, or cant read or something.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

all-Rush mixtape posted:

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if the Washington Post reveals video of Donald Trump handing a big stack of government secrets to Vladimir Putin and one of the papers is labeled 'Martha Jones is a Rutan', DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm told it was widely used in England until about the 50s; it's all over stuff like Arthur Ransome, for instance.

It was still being used as a term in Scottish primary schools in the later 80s/early 90's, though I doubt its still in use.

Davros1 posted:

Ian Levine of course had a Twitter meltdown over the 13th Doctor's costume.

Would you mind giving the broad strokes for those of us who enjoy his tears but dont want to go near his twitter, or in fact any social media he posts on?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So he doesnt have a specific objection, just general "I HATE THIS BECAUSE WOMAN"?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

Eh. I'm somewhere in between.

Positive contempt?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

2house2fly posted:

Oh yeah, Smith blew up a cyberfleet as well

Capaldi's most "ruthless" bits were in his first series- getting that guy who was about to be killed by Dalek antibodies to swallow a tracking device ("he was dead already, I was saving us") and haranguing people when the mummy was about to kill them ("tell us everything, it might help the next one"). Shooting the General and nearly causing god knows what catastrophe by trying to save Clara, of course. I don't think he's been directly responsible for anything hardcore though, despite that dumb scene in Extremis where he's listed as "cause of death" for such a vast number of people the measuring scale breaks.

The Doctor was listed as cause of death, not Capaldi Doctor. As catalogued on this very page, he actually has been the cause of death of a fair number of beings across all his various incarnations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Logopolis was released closer to WW2 than to today

Rose was broadcast closer to the release of netscape navigator than to today.

• Locked thread