Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

TinTower posted:

It's Peter "ABORTED" Harness, though; subtlety is not his strong suit.

I'm glad his episode this year managed to avoid having a terrible moral message by completely loving it up. Yes, genetic engineering/fertiliser research/biochemistry (seriously what the gently caress were they doing) could potentially be lethal if you build your lab like a loving imbecile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

FUN TIME

Bicyclops posted:

The real problem with the Chibnall Silurian episodes, besides that they are atrociously boring, is that they're essentially re-telling the original serial, but reversing who the warmongers are. In the original serial, it's the Brigadier to who decides that peace is not an option. It's a story where the alien-looking things that we don't fully understand don't end up being the monsters; the people do.

Mmmnope, having recently watched the original Silurian serial, they don't come off very well. The first Silurian leader seems like a nice chap(?) who's willing to try to coexist, but once his second in command takes over he jumps straight to attempting genocide. Twice. With no provocation. They're presented as morally complex and diverse, but they were a credible threat even if the Brig did the wrong thing.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

To be fair this is the problem with the Sea Devils and Warriors of the Deep as well.

I got the Silurian box set partly because I wanted another 5 story. After opening it all up, the little booklet that came with the Warriors basically said "we know this is terrible and we're very, very sorry :smith:". Still haven't watched it.

What's a good jumping on point for 5? I've got Castrovalva and I've seen Earthshock.

Murderion fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 6, 2017

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Top right's a bit on the nose new title for The Green Death.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

learnincurve posted:

I'm actually watching the chuffing tennis, I think that Federer chap is whomping that miserable looking guy because he has more numbers and they just said "he's having a bit of a horror" and "he's falling apart quite quickly".

gently caress you Cilic, I need to go out to buy shoes and I can't stick about to watch the tennis and the announcement.

Drag this out ffs.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Wyld Karde posted:

Gonna break out my crystal ball for a minute here.

So when we last saw the Doctor he's fending off the impending regeneration. He's had enough, he finds the whole thing ridiculous. So the Tardis does what she usually does and takes the Doctor to where he most needs to be. Back to his original self, who appears to be undergoing an identical personal crisis. Presumably over the course of the Christmas special the Doctor's personal character arc is going to be about accepting change through regeneration as a natural part of the Time Lord life experience, and by the end the Capaldi Doctor's attitude is going to be "Well if I'm going to change, let's make it a big one!"

Nah, it's because of Twelve wasting all that regeneration energy.

there isn't enough for a penis you see :iamafag:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Senor Tron posted:

I'm hoping we get at least one more multi-doc episode before Tennant ages out of the role, would want Jodie to get a couple of years established in the role first though as well.

10 + Donna, 11 + Amy, 12 + Bill, 13 + her companion(s) would be awesome.

Counterpoint: 10 + Martha, 11 + Clara, 12 + also Clara, 13 + Kris Marshall.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Bolingbroke posted:

To be fair he hasn't watched the show in literally half a century, that's a long time to remember the character line up. He did catch about 30 secs of one of those Simm!Master specials (with all the chicken eating) once and walked out in disgust, which isnt a reaction I can really fault.

I'd like to have him watch some NuWho; it's not often you can expose a true classic Who purist to the new stuff. It'd have to be a sedate episode though, as he hates anything noisy or fast paced or with too much CGI. I thought the Matt Smith ganger 2 partner might be a good one. Or Blink. He'd like Capaldi but I haven't seen many of those.

If he hates CGI, then "Midnight" and "Blink" don't have any, and would probably be his bag. "Heaven Sent" is always recommended, and is neither fast paced nor loud, ditto "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances". "Under the Lake/Before the Flood" (although not one of the most popular episodes) might be good for him.

e: this thread moves fast? Since when?

Murderion fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 19, 2017

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think there's only one really supernatural Holmes story (Adventure of the Creeping Man). Professor Challenger is where Doyle put all his newfound belief in spiritualism.

I remember downloading a lot of Conan Doyle when I was on a public domain kick after getting a Kindle, and starting off The Poison Cloud.

"Alright, so Earth is passing through a toxic cloud in the luminous aether, lol but I'll give it a pass because it's early sci-fi schlock. It's making everyone irrationally pissed off, cool, it's affecting lower lying areas first somehow, so everyone at sea level is screwed. All good so far. Oh, it's killing all the non-white people first because they have less developed brains nope nope gently caress this :staredog:"

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Timby posted:

It's pretty brutal. There are some bright spots like Girl in the Fireplace, School Reunion and Impossible Planet / Satan Pit, and I guess chunks of Doomsday, but by and large the season is dragged to the pits by Tennant and Piper making googly eyes at each other like a couple of high schoolers, and when the episodes got bad, boy howdy, did they get loving bad.

The creepy vampire romance was the absolute worst drat thing. Most of the bad writing I can at least stomach until the end of the episode, but that made my skin crawl every time it came up.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Wolfechu posted:

The thing that annoys me about the "Boys losing a role model" more than anything is that even if it were true, it's not forever. We're going to have a female lead for what, an average of three years. And once we're done, I doubt the BBC are going to go with 12 more female incarnations of the Doctor to balance things out.

Let a female lead shine for a while (or god forbid, actually wait till we have an episode or two to watch before condemning the idea). Eventually you'll have your male role model back again. Or, you know, rewatch some of the 50+ years where the Doctor was a male role model. Unless all that's somehow invalid now.

Hell, if you want an intelligent, nonviolent role model for boys, there's always Sherlock Holmes or at least there would be if Moffat wasn't running the show :argh:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Plavski posted:

well the theme of the second was seemingly that he was a true destined warrior, born and bred for violence and the third was that maybe someone who is all bad can be made good again

it seems like we're seeing someone go through survivor's guilt due to massive grief. denial, anger, bargaining etc.

"am i a good man?"

It's a stretch, but you could fit all of the NuWho Doctors into the stages of grief. Nine and ten switch between anger and depression, while eleven is full blown denial. Twelve seems to be constantly bargaining - he's trying to make his trauma mean something, to somehow make what he did and what happened worth it. He's the most willing to make sacrifices in order to score a "win", whether it's his own sacrifice or others'. He tries to fix broken situations without realising that some things simply cannot be fixed (like, y'know, death).

I guess that would make Thirteen acceptance, if this was a real thing and not trying to pigeonhole complex characters with something just as arbitrary as playing card suits or something.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

marktheando posted:

Ah did I say 9? I meant 10. That hybrid stuff was mince.

Ten had a good overarching plot because it was nothing more than a subplot. They resolved "who's in the vault" by episode 6, and the finale tied it up without taking over the whole thing.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

corn in the bible posted:

matt smith and david tennant are fine actors but their doctors are too perfect and it's kind of annoying. matt smith in particular got saddled with a lot of ridiculous over the top things which he always handled perfectly and understood instantly because he was the Best Person In The Universe. Personally, I enjoy the older stuff where the doctor is really smart of course but still somewhat fallible and flawed.

Eleven was a compulsive liar, and that was never presented as a good thing. The entire (admittedly bad) overarching plot of series 6 was dedicated to his flaws, first with him abusing his own legend and having it backfire spectacularly, then with him running away from a problem for 400 odd years before fixing it in like 30 seconds.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Cojawfee posted:

One thing I don't get, is how do time lords age? When 10 got age zapped by the master, he turned into golem. When 11 was protecting Trenazlor or whatever it is for 300 years, he was visibly older. When 12 showed up, he started out older looking and what not. I suppose it is ok that they can regenerate into a whatever kind of age looking human. But did 1 grow up? How long did he live to look that old before regenerating? Were people saying "You look like poo poo, why don't you just shoot yourself and regenerate?"

I guess this is a bit too much "Scratchy clearly hit the same bone twice but produced two different notes."

In no particular order:

One, being the original, grew up from a child and all the normal stuff. He lived to... 700? 800? I don't know, but a long rear end time. The Master screwing about with the Doctor was... the Master screwing about with the Doctor, removing the near perfect cellular regeneration that keeps time lords nearly (but not quite) immortal. Eleven was the longest lived regeneration by a long shot, living for ~1100 years. The Doctor has died of aging/natural causes three times, with War aging quicker (as in, stock footage youngish John Hurt to 2013 John Hurt over about a century) due to living like a hobo through an unimaginably horrible war. Twelve being older is (in universe*) part of him being more honest in general, showing his age rather than carrying on getting younger.

In short: Time Lords age, but it takes centuries for it to show or take effect outside of extenuating circumstances.

*the actual reason is why the gently caress wouldn't you want peter capaldi to be the doctor come on

e: f, b.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

TinTower posted:

And Prisoner Zero!

All of those rumours of Olivia Colman getting cast as 13 would have ended up really silly.

"Why did I choose this face?

... uhhh

I guess I... want to bite people's faces off? :shrug:"

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm sure he would've be fine but underwhelming.

All I can think is "Tennant/Smith but not quite as good", which doesn't mean bad, but eh. Ehh. Ehhhhhhh.

NuWho's had five great actors as The Doctor who've been various levels of happy, grim, manic, and thoughtful. There really isn't much more they can do to explore the character with a male actor.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Wheezle posted:

How is that racist?? In universe he-

I'll bite.

The best thing you could say about Talons is that it's trying to be less racist than the Yellow Peril source material it's based on; the character is playing to stereotypes and drops the me-so-sally accent when he's off the stage. This makes all of their missteps worse, since they lose (some of) the window dressing while keeping the overall theme, namely a network of inscrutable Chinamen marching in lockstep to carry out their secretive plans. The villain turning out to be a (presumably) white guy from the future is an attempt to show that they're good chaps, really, just misled; this only succeeds in robbing them of agency (for of course, they could never pose a threat to The Doctor without outside help :rolleye:), while at the same time falling flat because Chang and his men are still perfectly willing to sacrifice virginal white women to a rat monster.

All in all, The Talons of Weng Chiang makes a smug "look how far we've come" attempt at a non racist portrayal, without realizing that they haven't come nearly far enough.

I know I'm violently agreeing with you, I just really wanted to discuss that serial :v:

Astroman posted:

What about the actors? Do they bear no responsibility for choosing to take the roles?

I, too, am mystified as to why actors, especially minority actors who are commonly shut out of major roles, would choose to appear in Britain's most internationally famous television show if they disagree with their portrayal.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Astroman posted:

Hmm, maybe you could whitesplain to these professional actors how they are being sucked in by institutional racism into acting against their best interests as you see them. Here's their twitters, I'm sure they'd love it if you #WOKE them:

https://twitter.com/ashleywalters82?lang=en

https://twitter.com/007markoliver?lang=en

https://twitter.com/mrjevvy?lang=en

Let us know how it goes. :allears:

FWIW, I do agree that Talons of Weng Chiang is pretty horribly racist. :shrug:

... That was the exact opposite of my point, and I'm sorry if it wasn't clear. I don't blame the actors for taking work, the vast, vast majority of actors aren't in a position to turn down speaking roles on primetime TV. It's not their responsibility to vet every role for 100% Correctness, and leaving a gig because you don't agree with what you're portraying is seen as completely unprofessional as it, y'know, is in fact unprofessional.

We're not saying that Doctor Who falling victim to modern prejudices is The Worst Thing Ever. Institutional racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia etc etc is just that - institutional. It's ingrained in society, and it's no more someone's fault for feeling prejudice than it is someone's fault for being prejudiced against. It's something that everyone has do deal with, and letting your prejudices slip through your internal filter is by no means unforgivable. What is bad is refusing to admit that these feelings are wrong, sticking your fingers in your ears, and pretending that everything is fine.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

2house2fly posted:

Naismith thinks he can control the Master, making him stupid. A more intelligent man might have taken more precautions, or had the good sense to just shoot the Master on sight or avoid him altogether. Black people having statistically lower IQs than other races is a right wing talking point I've heard a million times.

Not being as smart as a Time Lord supergenius is kind of a gimme for Doctor Who, he was certainly intelligent enough to see potential in the alien sciencemajig and get it mostly functional (with a full scientific team, but hey, he's business clever not science clever).

Having him shunted off to the side with zero ceremony in favour of a pair of white villains is bad, though.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Cojawfee posted:

40,000 years old, completely insane.

Sounds like a deconstructed Rick and Morty, which is already pretty deconstructed.

Maybe they could match the production values to the writing, so it's just a series of photographs of someone making GBS threads in a graveyard with "THIS IS DOCTOR WHO" written on them in red marker. In the background, an intern scrapes keys across a metal sheet for sound effects.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
Pyramid has an interesting enough premise - what would it take to do a deal with pretty much the devil? It's almost impressive how much it's ballsed up, from having a plot that's 90% hole to Harness chucking the series budget down a hole trying to make the glorious republic of Turmezistan a Thing in Dr Who canon.

Lie of the Land is passable-ish if you skip Pyramid and make it a 2-parter.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
Doctor Who: Lt. Van Buren in an ITV game show.

:doink:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Astroman posted:

I only say that because IIRC Wilf was offered the chance to go and turned it down due to age. Basically I want this guy to be "Wilf Who Said Yes."

Also :agreed: on multi companions. That's always the best dynamic, as proven greatly by last season. Plus as you say, you get the future/alien person (Steven/Turlough/Nyssa/Jack/Nardole) and then you can have the modern audience insert. Best of both worlds.

The strongest parts of new who have been the multi-companion bits, with the exception of season 4, where Martha/Donna were the weaker episodes (though Martha didn't make things worse, and they were still solid overall).

Part of it's because you can have one companion who looks up to/trusts/wuvs The Doctor while the other one is a bit more cynical and wary of him. Clara trying to pull both roles is why she came off as an irritating know-it-all, since the only way to believably both trust and countermand The Doctor is to think you're as smart as them.

Plus it lets one companion wander off and be cool in a human, fallible way while The Doctor :eng101:'s at the other one. The possibility of a character screwing up without The Doctor being around to save them adds a lot of tension to stories.

ps is it The Doctor or just the Doctor I have no idea what to capitalize and it's making me twitchy

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Vinylshadow posted:

It's not a true dating game until the Master appears in it

Step away from the console, Master-kun. You're too tsundere to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Payndz posted:

Funnily enough, I'm watching 'The Green Death' right now, and it's flat-out pro-environment in a way that seems simultaneously very modern and behind the times, because a lot of the stuff the professor is talking about has actually happened (he's basically growing Quorn, and renewables have reached the point of cost-matching with polluting energy sources), but it's now clear that it still needs to keep happening more and faster.

Spoilers for you, not anyone else:

Green Death was the first old who I watched, and I honestly didn't see "BOSS is an evil, sentient computer" coming. Like I expected whoever programmed the damned thing to step out from behind a curtain, because to my modern​ mind computers just don't work like that, even in sci fi.

• Locked thread