Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Eleven wins out over Twelve for me, but not because of any real problem with Capaldi's performance or run; I've said before, even the worst Capaldi season--9--gets a pretty solid mark from me because if I think out watching the whole thing again without skipping any, there's still no episodes I'd dread in it. Even some good seasons can't manage that.

But Eleven is still my preferred and favorite, because he's basically how I would play the Doctor. I'm sure everyone here has some idea of how they would play the Doctor were they to play the role, and for me it would absolutely be like, 90% Eleven. Maybe with a little bit of early Twelve's pragmatism, Seven's constant scheming or later Twelve's no-fucks-given style, but most of the performance would absolutely be patterned on Eleven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
This running gag is the most enjoyment anyone ever got from the Silence.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Plus, if you grew up somewhere roughly adjacent to the Wilderness Years, it wasn't even ubiquitous. Matt Smith was like that, although he made a point to watch a bunch of the really early stuff after he got the job.

My favorite part of that story is that he called Moffat really late at night after seeing a Troughton Cyberman episode because it resonated so much with him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, reminds me of those people who were all excited to see Jessica Jones because it had David Tennant in it :allears:

On the plus side, he was REALLY loving good in it!

I still think that's a weirdly perfect way to come at Jessica Jones. He plays Kilgrave a lot like he played Ten, but also isn't in a lot of the early chunk of that season. You don't have a lot to go off about him in those first few episodes, you only really know him from Jessica's responses to him (and just the concept of him, not even anything he's doing on-screen). But he gets just enough screentime in those early episodes for someone who's familiar with him from Doctor Who to see that Kilgrave has a lot of mannerisms and speech patterns in common with Ten (he even does Ten's 'Well...' at least once pretty early on).

And if you see that, then you automatically start to read his character and interpret he and Jessica's past through that. And it's remarkably close to the truth when you do, the notion of them as an extremely twisted take on the Ten/Rose relationship in particular gives you a pretty solid grasp on how they were together a good few episodes before the show starts elaborating on it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

jivjov posted:

Man, maybe they really are trying to keep it secret til Christmas?

It's gonna be such a disappointment if after all the secrecy and buildup, it's just another youngish handsome-esque white dude they want to be the next Tennant.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Plavski posted:

Bringing back Danny Pink as the Doctor would be lovely and ironic. But that's a decidedly Moffat idea, so it won't happen.

I don't think this is likely, but if I try to think out what sort of Doctor reveal they could have that warrants this level of secrecy while also being totally worth it, this is a pretty big one. He would make an amazing Doctor, too, I could see him being very Eccleston in some really fun ways.

The worst part about all this Doctor casting speculation is that it's just going to leave us all disappointed. It's like how horror movies are at their scariest before the monster appears, because your brain knows what will scare you; you know better than anyone else what kind of Doctor you want to see.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Okay, I won't be awake when this is announced, so I'm gonna be learning from reading you lot when I wake up. Remember to make it exciting for me!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I woke up to this news several hours ago, and I'm still probably more excited than I've been about anything for a while. This is exactly what we needed at exactly the right time, and I am just SO in.

...now give us her costume shots so I can start putting together cosplay.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sort of Amelia Earhart / Amy Johnson type Golden Age aviatrix look might be fun; you know, fur-lined leather windcheater, jodhpurs and leather boots, white silk scarf.

gently caress, I like the sound of this so much. I could see it wearing thin as a primary outfit on the level of Eleven's bow tie and suit, but it would make for a great 'central' look that they derive a few other similar ones from. Like how Twelve didn't really have a single signature outfit, but he definitely had a look that they played around within.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Plavski posted:

She was my favourite in the role guessing game. Not because she'd do it - she wouldn't, she's a massive Hollywood success - but because she'd ramp the "alien" up to eleventy-stupid and it would be wonderful.

I'd have loved a Swinton Doctor just because I've gotten compared to her, so I'd be able to cosplay that Doctor really well*. But now that I'm thinking about it and your observation there, I think she'd be really awesome as some sort of external take on the Doctor.

I'm picturing a movie from the perspective of just an average person during one of the more visible and daunting invasions; the Stolen Earth, Army of Ghosts, Dark Water, or even something a little smaller like The Power of Three or Pyramid at the End of the World. Their entire world gets turned inside-out one day they're struggling to just keep it together and survive, while on the sideline of the story is this inscrutible alien Swinton-Doctor that comes out of loving nowhere and is working entirely according to her own totally foreign problem-solving. I always got the feeling that while the Doctor's very inspiring to people they directly interact, with they've gotta be this terrifying, unknowable and suspicious figure to the people just outside of that, and Swinton would be an amazing Doctor for that.

*I should say I'm probably gonna be cosplaying the Whittaker Doctor if at all possible, because it just seems like an amazing opportunity of a character for a trans woman. I'm permitted the opportunity, I can't NOT try.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
If it's a Christmas episode set in WWI, then we're probably going to be visiting the battlefield where both sides called a one-day cease-fire for Christmas. I don't know where that was exactly, but I know the British were one side of it. That's a pretty fantastic setting for a Doctor Who episode, I think.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
While I like that pre-pro Mondasian design in theory, I think it's better that they didn't stick to it. The fact we got the 'real deal' and that they worked up to that both let them do some more interesting things with the pre-conversion Patient designs (that creepy white mask especially) to try to make a very dated costume design impactful, while also giving it sort of a pedigree and a clear respect for the original series. It's also a lot better for low-key fear, the Mondasian Cybermen are less overtly terrifying and more just unnerving and wrong, that pre-production look kinda leaves too little to the imagination face-wise.

Plus, like... it sort of reminds me of the hilariously bad pre-production designs for the Daleks in the Paul McGann reboot that never got off the ground. The ones that look like Quake enemies or something. It feels like it's trying too hard.

EDIT: I would like to kindly request we stop talking about the Eleven/Amy seasons, because now my colossal crush on Karen Gillan is kicking in again and I want to watch every single episode with her in it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Stabbatical posted:

which is half ignored anyway because Day of the Doctor (wisely) never bogged itself down with how they left the time stream (considering half of the peril was that going in was that it was irreversible and lethal and, after checking the clip, they show the entrance closing behind 11).

Oh poo poo, I just realized why this happened. It was really up in the air how much they were going to be able to do for the 50th anniversary special, so they set up for what was essentially the 'last resort' option where they could only get Jenna and Matt, where they'd essentially use the conceit of fixing the Doctor's timestream for a high-concept clip show. Clearly, what happened is that the plan for Day of the Doctor only fell into place fairly late, to the point where they couldn't write their way out of their contingency plan.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I would probably describe a lot of season 3 Master as having a ridiculous and hilarious idea, pulling it off, and absolutely LOVING it. And while it's a very different tone and scale, that's also what he's doing in World Enough and Time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I want to take all these deliberately godawful parody ideas, turn them into actual stories, and just see what happens. Because I bet some of these would be classics if you pitched them the right way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Davros1 posted:

To get inside the head of the Doctor, Matt Smith wrote a story in which the Doctor took Einstein to Ancient Egypt.

I can't tell if you're joking, and I'm not sure whether or not I want you to be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

marktheando posted:

So I have no idea why anyone thought noted ugly man Kris Marshall fit that description.

I kind of love that, in a thread (and fanbase) that's known to have so many widely differing opinions, we finally found something to agree on. And it's that Kris Marshall would have made for an AWFUL Doctor.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

After The War posted:

EDIT - The Ron Grainer arrangement would use it to take a break from Pertwee punching people to show ladies dancing in very 70s getups, or maybe quick zooms on the supporting UNIT cast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8&t=63s

Man, this is one of those things that I forget about for months, then somebody else brings it up and I'm not sure how it ever left my mind.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TinTower posted:

The quality of companions is inversely proportional to their sexual attraction to the Doctor.

Go on, prove me wrong. :colbert:

Martha had no especially strong sexual feelings about the Doctor.

Amy outright and overtly tried to gently caress him, more than once.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

bobkatt013 posted:

Martha was in love with him that was her sole characteristic

Okay, I'll concede on that because I remember sweet gently caress-all about Martha or pretty much anything in season 3 that didn't involve either the Angels or the Master.

But her feelings are still way lesser than Amy, while being a worse companion.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

thrawn527 posted:

Every hardcore Trekkie I've met likes to talk about the "science" of Star Trek, and how it would really work, and poo poo like that. Doctor Who and Star Wars fans tend to be more like, "It's magic." Yeah there are people out there writing "Science of Star Wars" books, and I'm sure some Who fan has "totally figured out" how the Tardis does it's thing, but they're few and far between.

I think comparing Doctor Who and the two big Star franchises is interesting, and I think Who's somewhere between them. Star Wars doesn't care one iota about the fact it takes place in a 'sci-fi' universe, and barely even pays lip service to anything resembling sci-fi concepts, and yes I admit I'm a bit mad about that. But it's really not trying to do any of that just as a franchise.

Who isn't like that, Who does very deliberately play with sci-fi concepts even if the actual science of it is nonsense and basically just aesthetic. It's still a lot softer than Star Trek since it doesn't shy away from straight-up craziness and things that cannot by any stretch of the imagination make real-world sense, but I feel like it usually does endeavor to at least make everything that isn't the Time Lords make sense, and face some very hard sci-fi concepts that Wars would never touch (and I'm specifically thinking of the Cybermen here, but there's other examples).

I think it's oversimplifying it to say that Doctor Who is like Star Wars in its level of hard and soft sci-fi. Star Wars is wizards in space, but I feel like Doctor Who is more like a space wizard inhabiting a universe that, outside of him, isn't really powered by space magic.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 12, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think it's more than just an aesthetic choice; the character is named after a respected figure of learning and his m.o. is based around applying knowledge over more physical forms of heroism. The show values science and rationality (and wants the audience to as well), even if the specifics are nonsense.

BSG (to pick an example) is much harder sci-if but it doesn't have the same reverence for actual science that Star Trek or Doctor Who have.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. It doesn't care much about the specifics of science, but it very much respects and agrees with the concept of it. It has that in common with Star Trek, and it's a big commonality even if Who's far more inclined than Trek to introduce concepts and solutions that just don't work with science at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The only bad thing about Mummy on the Orient Express is that it's immediately followed by Flatline, which is even better and overshadows Mummy pretty hard.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm finishing it up now and liked it a lot. The shrinking TARDIS (with Twelve stuck inside) is good mine for humor, Clara does a good job carrying the episode, Rigsy is a cool guy in my book, the monsters are vaguely spooky, and the real villain is that disgusting guy running the community service. When he walks away at the end, having survived, and Capaldi looks at him with utter disgust, it captured much of how I've been feeling today.

I admit I am a little biased in favor of Flatline, because the Boneless are such an interesting enemy to me because of just how weird they are. It's the same sort of space and dimension-fuckery I liked in House of Leaves, with some really striking imagery and really fascinating potential concepts.

The Boneless are the sort of enemy that disappears into obscurity for years before getting revived in a Big Finish story or a weird one-off episode, and I'm looking forward to when that happens.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

It also feels like season 10 was a response to criticisms of seasons 7.5 - 9. Capaldi is a much softer, nicer Doctor to Bill, the writing is pretty overt in addressing some diversity concerns, there's an actual, second companion who's along for the ride, there's no romance or jealousy between the companion and the Doctor at all, Jamie Mathieson's episode straight up says it's the Doctor causing the collapse of capitalism, and they get Rona Munro, of all people, to write an episode. There are aspects of the finale that sort of mirror season 8 (the Master, Cybermen, the Doctor feeling like he's let his companion down, etc.), but whatever issues I have with Moffat, it does feel like he tries to learn from his mistakes, even if he can't help be an angry goblin when somebody interviews him.

As I've said to others, including I'm sure n these threads, Moffat falls into some pretty overly conservative and disappointing patterns when he isn't trying, but he doesn't seem to want to think those things. When he's putting his mind to actually writing PoC characters, or women or LGBT characters he's actually really good, the problem is when he's left on autopilot he goes all Let's Kill Hitler on us.

So part of the reason season 10 worked so well was because all those thoughts were at the forefront. Especially with Bill, he couldn't lapse into his usual subconscious misogyny or anything because she was so overtly not fitting into that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

This, but with the Master in the Joker's place:

Gotta be honest, this is the best depiction of the Joker I've ever seen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm not going to buy this until we get some official proof, because yeah, this is way too far out of left field. I'm sure he'd do a good job, but I doubt he'd actually be the companion.

My usual barometer for this is the Doctor Who Twitter, and they haven't said anything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Forktoss posted:

Sorry but it's canon

The concept that Time Lord names and language are mathematical expressions (I believe the ancient Gallifreyan visible in The Five Doctors is calculus inscribed onto stone) is such a cool concept that I wish it was canon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

There was a joke in The Good Place in which a character says about a made-up TV show, "It ran on the BBC for 16 years. They did nearly 30 episodes!" and it made me think of the production problems this show faces.

The joke about British shows having really short seasons, (which I presume was especially true in the past, but isn't really now) really tickles me for some reason. There was a Simpsons episode that made up 'one of Britain's longest-running shows' with seven episodes, and my favorite Clickhole article takes it and a few other British TV stereotypes to some weird extremes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The real winner of that game is trying to find the costume they both use.

It's a spacesuit back in the Hartnell years. It was a spacey-looking flight suit I believe designed during WWII, that the original Star Wars movies also used.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The only thing I know about The Chase is that it was the subject of one of the most interesting Antiques Roadshow sections I've seen. A teenager turned up with an earlier draft of the script that included actual speaking parts for the Beatles, and judging by the fact his lines were underlined it was Lennon's copy.

If I remember correctly, they appraised it as worth about $500 to the right buyer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Box of Bunnies posted:

It'd be pretty ace if Gareth Roberts never wrote for the show again.

Chelsea isn't even an unusual name! On the other hand I know of one person named Bev.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

Also: (Dear Chris Chibnall,)

I'm sure that I have said this before, but I'll say it again: full condemnation for all of the racism in The Celestial Toymaker, but why the hell haven't they brought him back as a villain yet? Drop "the Celestial" obviously, and don't have his dolls drop outdated rhymes containing racial epithets, but...

1) The Doctor indicates that they will face each other again at the end, inviting a return (plus the Toymaker is weird and undefined enough that he can definitely be recast).
2) There is a ton of material to mine from an intelligent person who is obsessed with the rules-layering aspect of games but lacks empathy and values winning over everything else.
3) There's something extremely Doctor Who about encountering a logic test game, flipping it over with a creative solution, and beating the villain on their own terms and hoisting them by their own petard.

The Toymaker would be an excellent tool to critique the uglier parts of "geek culture," to say nothing of the how easy he makes it to establish science fiction rules of the week while providing exposition that doesn't feel forced. I'm shocked Moffat never used him because manufactured realities are right up his alley. He has as much or more potential than the Master and he is in exactly one serial from the 1960s.

gently caress the Rani, gently caress the Meddling Monk, and gently caress Sil, bring back the Toymaker.

I actually just realized when reading this that a roleplaying campaign I'm running right now has an antagonist that would be a pretty decent take on the Toymaker, or at least the things that work about him.

An autistic nerd and wannabe speedrunner got hold of something that gave her complete control over a small area, and proceeded to use it the only way she knew how: by breaking it. I wound up combining House of Leaves style space-warping and a few visual flairs I picked up from some more horror-leaning segments of Doctor Who (one guy got REALLY caught out by a take on the dream messages from Last Christmas) with puzzles and traps based on famous glitches and an aesthetic primarily inspired by Axiom Verge. Every single thing, though, has been designed around the assumption that the 'proper' response to it is to come up with some way to gently caress it up, because she's autistic so she struggles with surprises.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 5, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

Well, they could, but if it were me, I'd be inclined to just drop the adjective all together. At this point there are people who are likely to associate it with what it originally meant.

I know that I personally wouldn't assume 'celestial' to be an offensive term, but I think if you're bringing back an old villain like him and using that name all you're going to do is teach a whole new generation of curious nerds about a fifty year old racial epithet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They should pull a fast one and bring back the Valeyard except now he's played by David Tennant (he's revisiting a few old faces).

I mean I'm on board with this regardless of how we approach it. But I think it's important to decide early on how this notion is handled.

A: Tennant is known to be the Valeyard from the outset
B: The Valeyard is known as an entity for a while, but is revealed (perhaps with a cliffhanger) to be Tennant
C: We're led to believe we're seeing a multi-Doctor episode but Ten is written a little darker, until eventually we learn he's not Ten at all

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sad King Billy posted:

Should the new series do something similar and if so, what issues and topic should it cover?

I think the new series will, and we'll wish it didn't, but I also think it should. Sci-fi should really try to use its setting and concepts to say something about the world we live in at least some of the time, and there's been points when Doctor Who has done it well. It's just that Peter Harness has not been one of those. I'd say that the most recent story we can look to for proof they can do it right is Oxygen, which is probably the best episode of the last season to me that wasn't the finale two-parter.

Reflexively I'd love to say that I'd like to see an episode about trans people, provided it was written well and was properly sympathetic, but I don't know if there's a possible take on it that wouldn't have really bad connotations even if done with the best of intentions. The best idea I've got so far is people with cybernetic augmentations being discriminated against and persecuted specifically because people think they're a social gateway for the Cybermen, but I think bringing the Cybermen in on that one in general is a recipe for disaster.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 11, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FreezingInferno posted:

The easiest way to start a Doctor Who story about trans issues with your best foot forward would be to get a trans person to write the thing.

I'm trying, damnit! It's hard, but I think I've got something. The folly we've had so far in these ideas is trying to fit them into preconceived Who villains, that on the surface seem viable but can only really manifest it in a way that reflects negatively. What we need is effectively a whole new enemy to shine this onto, and I'm pretty sure I just came up with one.

Psychic aliens, that latch onto specific people and become manifestations of their suppressed, unacknowledged thoughts and feelings (I'm basically cribbing the way the Persona games do Shadows, I admit). For a lot of people their reflections are dangerous, untrustworthy, and possibly resentful; the embodiment of the mental hoops that led someone to cheat on their wife, the total disregard for others that let a leader claw to the top, that sort of thing, and those are the chief antagonists of the story. On the flipside, though, we have a cool-headed, confident and understanding character turn up suddenly, who nobody recognizes but seems to be on the right side of it all. That gives plenty of parallels to the Doctor for the writers and actors to have fun with, but it's not the final point of the character. The big reveal, of course, is that they're the manifestation of the suppressed feelings of a fairly constant supporting character, unrecognizable because they're transgender and never accepted that fact about themselves, but helpful because they always wanted to.

The generalized intended message, and toss a Doctor-speech or two in to drive it home, is that people hurt themselves when they refuse to admit their own faults, insecurities and emotions. Clear relevance to trans issues, and very blatantly on their side of that, but carries meaning to others as well.

...Yes, I do realize that a good amount of this idea is comparable to The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People. I don't think that's necessarily a problem, and I feel like it's doing something new anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Davros1 posted:

Found this interesting. Now as you may or may not know, the Terry Nation sci-fi series "Blake's 7" replaced a cop show set in present day (1970s):

https://twitter.com/MakingBlakes7/status/907667629875265536

BBC gave a sci-fi show 50 pounds for sfx. 50!

I know the same thing was generally true of the first season of Red Dwarf. It went into pre-pro pretending to be the second season of a drama (I think) called Good Times, which was unpopular and terrible but used more expensive cameras that inflated its budget to the point they could fund a low-budget sci-fi show's set and minimal effects.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

I think it'd have been more interesting the other way around. Sheen can certainly do sinister, and I'd have liked to see his take on Crowley. Tennant will reach into his shallow acting bag, and do something in the small gap between Ten and Kilgrave.

Tennant's kind of reaching a typecasting problem, I think. He's probably got a decent range, but if he's cast for something you know it's for a fairly narrow section of that range. And he's good at what he's being cast as, but it means you've got a pretty clear idea what you're getting right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cerv posted:

you can't watch his Hamlet and say he's got no range.
but if you've only seen him in trash sci-fi like Dr Who or Jessica Jones I can see why someone might get that idea.

I'm an uncultured monster who hasn't seen him in anything but Who and Jessica Jones, yeah. I know he's good in other things, and I know he has better range than he gets to show in the stuff I've seen with him, I just haven't seen them!

And yeah, he deliberately played Kilgrave like Ten. Apparently he didn't come in with that intention or goal, but he tried it and it worked VERY well.

• Locked thread