Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I see you've changed things.

I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Murderion posted:

I'm glad his episode this year managed to avoid having a terrible moral message by completely loving it up. Yes, genetic engineering/fertiliser research/biochemistry (seriously what the gently caress were they doing) could potentially be lethal if you build your lab like a loving imbecile.

I'm just glad he continues his batting average of being a total waste of time, only this time without confusing metaphors and bullshit

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man I wish Christopher Lee played the Doctor once in his life.

I don't know what that would have been like, but it would have been amazing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It does make me wonder how often the other Doctors ever got to hang out together. I know Sylvester was fairly used to Tom's more drunken antics

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to just leave this here without reason or context because it makes me happy in a show that otherwise does not make me happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCUk-XaH6pQ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Chibnall

Please

Don't gently caress this up man

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

I love it when there are two companions. It adds a lot to the dynamics of the thing. Doesn't hurt that Nardole was an adorable egg man.

e: For all we know it'll be an actual decision of the Doctor's to be a woman for some internal reason this time around. The last story had him airily telling Bill that Time Lords are beyond gender biases and then the Master getting all weirded out about Missy, so who knows? I'm guessing some Time Lords have a strong preference and some don't.

The Master is notably super sexist across all of his male iterations.

Like, out right misogynist levels.

So his reactions to himself as a woman are pretty much as expected.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

I have got to watch more of his classic stories, I've not seen many at all.

It's even present with Simm's Master.

Just look at how he treats his 'wife'.

The only reason I suspect Gomez Master doesn't have some self loathing issues is because the only person the Master doesn't hate is themselves.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

What happens if a pregnant Time Lord regens into a male?

Considering Time Lords only regenerate when mortally wounded, the baby is dead either way, so it wouldn't matter.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

The Master, despite her recent time as Missy, is a noted misogynist, isn't she? Beyond that I think you'd have to use new human villains (which would be a comparatively fresh angle for New Who) if you wanted to touch on it through that lens. Then again I'd hope commentary on 13's gender is limited to a quip in the premiere and encounters with recurring characters (like Captain Jack, say he hasn't died recently so his fixed point hasn't reset or blahblah). I feel like not-caring-at-all matches Doctor Who's brand of progressiveness.

The Master's misogyny even comes through in regards to herself, especially early on. Referring to herself as Missy, calling herself a Time Lady, and early on talking about the Proper Way for Time Ladies to act.

And you know, being God awful horrible to the Doctor's companions every time she could.

It died down this last season, mostly because she was making a concerted effort to be 'Gud', but yeah. If any villain is going to start treating the Doctor different due to having lady parts, it's going to be the Master. Regardless of their gender.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

I just re-watched the Zygon inversion and god drat, now I remember why I forgave all the terrible writing and just started watching Capaldi.

SHame about what the actual message of that speech was.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I'm not actually sure Capaldi watched Tom Baker as a kid.

He was a Hartnel kid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

All of the old who's lose something with being transferred to digital. The fact is that they were filmed to be shown on tiny old TVs. Most people have no idea how terrifying Sil was to a small child watching on a tiny lovely TV, there was no difference in clarity between him and something you saw every day like a newsreader simply because of the broadcast quality.

motherfucker still gives me nightmares today. I used to do handstands backwards on the sofa until he went away. It was the tail that did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXCLN2mbFIo

It's also not been kind of stop motion animation effects what so ever, or a lot of practical effects from the last century+. A lot of things that looked seamless in SD have been torn asunder by the modern day.

There's only so much future proofing one can do for media like this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Peter Harness is the most consistently awful writer in modern Doctor Who.

I do not believe he has ever brought anything of quality or substance to any episode he has written.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So long as he isn't playing the Brig I'm fine with it.

I swear to loving Christ if they dig the Brig out of his grave again

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait

Was there a Dalek story this last season? Season 10?

I don't think there was. I don't remember one

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope that's enough not to get poo poo from the Nation estate

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

There wasn't a Dalek episode in season 6 either, just cameos in a few episodes.

They definitely had more presence there. I don't even remember their cameo in this one.

The Stone Dalek was basically The Villain, as much as there could be one, in the finale of 6.

EDIT: never mind I just remembered that was season 5. Huh.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Missy was really key to the whole thing. There was plenty of complaining about the Master suddenly turning female, and even some complaining in her earliest episodes that she was over acting and rubbish compared to Simm's Master. I was a little apprehensive myself that they would do the obvious thing and try to sexualize the relationship or something.

But Missy turned out to be fantastic!

Being entirely honest, she was a bit rubbish to begin with.

And I still despise the name Missy. The Master is a gender neutral term. You don't go to college and get your Mistress.

Season 8 Master I would have been just fine never seeing again. Thankfully they let Gomez rescue that from the trash heap with some of the only good things from season 9, and some of the best stuff of season 10. And hey

She never became a cartoon skeleton

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

To be fair, this is an intentional reference and callback. The line in Dalek is "You would make a good Dalek." The line in Into the Dalek, which takes place during Capaldi's "Who am in this incarnation?" regeneration crisis, is "You are a good Dalek," which is supposed to come off as more horrific. I don't think it lands, but it's supposed to build off the earlier episode.

The big problem really is, with it, that it is pretty unearned and doesn't carry the same kind of weight and impact that the original did.

But yeah it's super intentional and they built up to it. It just doesn't work as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The gently caress is it with Star Trek and Pedophiles anyways

Did Wesley like, hit this whole subculture I neither know nor care about?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
From noted producer and writer of Doctor Who, Michele Gomez no less.

Truly, the most reliable of sources.

Though seriously it'd be weird if 13 wasn't into women at all. The Doctor's gender is fluid, that wouldn't do anything to their sexuality.

The Master wanted to gently caress the Doctor when he had a dick and when she had a vagina.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Toughton really was a man who grew into his looks as he got older.

Matt Smith looks exactly the same as when he got hired on the flip side!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Why is it just a current picture of Jodie Whittaker?

I mean they used a current picture of Matt Smith so fair's fair.

Also Paul Macgann

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

That, and most things people consider "bad" about an episode fly right over my head because I spent the first 15 years of my life with my nose in books instead of glued to television and learning about culture

Don't do this.

Seriously man, even if that is true- and what the gently caress books were you reading and where WERE you if you weren't learning about culture during that period- don't do this.

I imagine you have to have SOME idea about how this makes you sound and it's just going to make people be needlessly antagonistic with you as a result.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, William Hartnell wasn't a big fan of the show when he started but he turned out okay.

Those Troughton, Pertwee and Baker fellas were also PRETTY questionable with how they did not know or care about the show but I guess that worked out well enough.

Now that Colin Baker, HUGE fan, wonder how his television run went!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Being honest, the War Doctor is likely the oldest of them all.

The Doctor being '2000' years old or whatever is total bullshit, and everyone knows it. He just started rounding down after the War Doctor. Picked some arbitrary number.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I miss RTD.

I hope he's doing well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

Either of those things can be true depending on circumstances

Wait are you telling me that context matters and we can't just make broad statements about generalities without looking stupid?

I'm shocked

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pgroce posted:

A fitting epitaph for Moffat's Who.

Replace "punchline" with "scene" (usually the conclusion) and you have a fitting epitaph for RTD's Who.
[/quote]

I'm not sure 'Clever' fits into anything RTD has ever done.

He goes for emotional more than that.

The_Doctor posted:

He's a judge for the 2017 Bruntwood prize for playwriting, he's working on A Very British Scandal for Channel 4, and he's grown a moustache.

I'm genuinely happy to hear that. He looks better with a mustache too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

all-Rush mixtape posted:

HOLY poo poo, I LOOK LIKE RTD

Are you 8 foot tall?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

If anyone cares about Dr. Men, we'll be getting some figures of them come Fall

There's a joke about Jodie here somewhere

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

Sorry, had to fix that, it was reading all wrong.

Yes, we know who she is

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

"Hey Peter, we actually need to do one more epi-"
"I'm already on set and in costume, where's everyone else?"

"Peter, your back yard is not a set."

"But it's a perfect recreation of-"

"We cannot use the 8th Doctor's TARDIS!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Real talk, I would love for Billie Piper to come back as a companion as Bad Wolf.

That would be swell

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bisexual people exist, you know

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

Hey! I'm getting back into heavy reading. Beats heavy internet use right? Has anybody any Doctor Who novels they would recommend?
Thanks!

Do you want the one where people try to gently caress Ace, or the one where people actually gently caress Ace

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

This is going in circles. Do we have anything else we can discuss?

We can discuss the weird fandom obsession with Ace and wanting to gently caress her with their self inserts do not steal in OFFICIAL DOCTOR WHO MEDIA

Because that's a part of the fandom I had no idea existed and do not understand. Just completely missed the boat on that. I am morbidly curious how mortified the actress is about it though considering it was part of Officially Licensed Novels.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Okay, I give up: where is Amazon hiding The Time of the Doctor?

Amazon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGQIKh4TTfU

Maybe you'll find it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

:confused:

If Doctor Who has very little basis in science and lots of nonsensical technobabble, then surely it is like Star Trek?

Now, now, let's not say things we can't take back

Doctor Who doesn't attract pedophiles like Star Trek does. I guess no one likes Adric

• Locked thread